Thread: RSV P In Illinois!

apriliaforum Junkie

RSV P In Illinois!

Hello!

Newbie to Aprilia and the forum.

Name's Mike and have been riding motorcycles for the past 30+ years (since I was 16).

Hope to get my 2017 RSV4 RF in a couple of weeks. Waiting for the exhaust (Arrow) to come in from Italy and have the dealer install it (as well as Race ECU) for me before I pick the bike up. Although it is winter here in Illinois and I won't be able to ride it I can t wait! At least I can go out to the garage and HEAR that beautiful music coming from the exhaust.

I had been eyeballing the RF since I seen pics and a write up last December. I fell in love with it!

I THOUGHT I was perfectly with my Ducati 1198 SP. However, the dreaded 7500 mile valve inspect/service and cam belt replacement. I have had a few Ducati's over the past 10 years. Started with an '07 1098. Then went to an 1198s when they came out. When I heard that Ducati was doing away with the trellis frame and reworking the engine I decided to get the 1198SP. I honestly thought that it would be the bike I kept forever. I don't like the appearance or engine on the Panigale. Decided I'd rather put the service money towards a new Aprilia. I was also tired of the maintenance schedule of my Ducati's.

I have already ordered a few farkles (exhaust, pegs, levers, carbon rear hugger). Just waiting for them to come in and install them.

I TRY and do a track day here and there but typically do mostly street riding in the Georgia/Tennessee/North Carolina mountain areas. Also ride North East portion of Arkansas quite a bit. Typically get down to those areas twice a year. Hoping to make it out to ride some Cali mountain roads this summer.

I started my riding OBSESSION on big bore Kawasaki's. Had a '99 ZRX 1100 for a couple of years, then went to a ZZR 1200 in 2005. Rode that until I picked up a ZX 14 2008. I had always used these bikes as my sport tourers. I bought my first Ducati in 2007 and used them to compliment my Kawasaki's. Thought I was tired of sport tour and replaced the ZX 14 with an '11 Triumph Speed Triple 1050. Couldn't get used to the upright riding position. I then sold it and decided to try a BMW S 1000 RR. Man, that bike was powerful and handled great. However, I just couldn't get the vibes out of the clip-ons. Three miles of slab and my hands were numb. Sold it. This was over a period of about a year. Within that year I decided that I truly did miss sport touring. Or at least having a bike that I could sport tour on if I wanted to. So, I bought a '12 BMW K 1300 S HP in 2014 and have been happy since.

Now I will have two of the best bikes on the market for what their intended purpose is!

I'm sure I will be spending quite a bit of time on the forum learning about the RSV4 and deciding what is the best oil to use and which tires are best (LOL!). Appears to be quite a bit of knowledgeable riders here. I'll try not to ask too many newbie questions but I'm sure some will come up since Aprilia's are new to me.

I'll post some pics when I finally get the bike.

Ride safe!

Mike

apriliaforum expert
    You need to come up to Road America this summer and do a track day with us!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    You need to come up to Road America this summer and do a track day with us!
    Not out of the question.

Just have to see what kind of time off from work I get.

Thanks for the invite.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Well, exhaust is in from Italy.

Now waiting for the dreaded Brembo master cylinder piston replacement.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Picked up the bike last Saturday!!!!

Got it home and installed my farkles. Now just waiting until May when I can actually ride it!

Name:  DSC01666.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  143.1 KB

Sweet ride, feeling jealous!

Also in IL (west burbs of Chicago). Ride an SXV. Welcome!

apriliaforum expert
    Hi,
    Nice ride, for sure.
    Where do you ride in Il?
    I am over in Washington IN.

Raised near Mattoon IL.
    Flat land is an understatement.... hahaah

see ya
    bill

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    Sweet ride, feeling jealous!

Also in IL (west burbs of Chicago). Ride an SXV. Welcome!
    I'm in southern Illinois.

Thanks for the welcome.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by banderso View Post
    Hi,
    Nice ride, for sure.
    Where do you ride in Il?
    I am over in Washington IN.

Raised near Mattoon IL.
    Flat land is an understatement.... hahaah

see ya
    bill
    Thanks.

I'm in southern Illinois about 2.5 hours SW from you.

I see you are just a bit NE of Vincennes. Isn't there a track over in the Terre Haute area?

As for riding in Illinois, you got that right, mostly flat. Especially in mid and northern Illinois.

The land is mostly flat around here but fortunately we have quite a few lakes and forested area so at least have some scenery. I have a little loop that I ride in my local area that has some nice curves and sweepers but that is about it.

When I want to ride I leave the state! LOL

I usually go down to the Smoky Mountains in the Georgia/Tennessee/N Carolina area as well as the NW area of Arkansas (Eureka Springs) a couple of times a year and ride.

Some fantastic roads in both places!

Peace,

Mike

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by CIAO 70 View Post
    Thanks.

I'm in southern Illinois about 2.5 hours SW from you.

I see you are just a bit NE of Vincennes. Isn't there a track over in the Terre Haute area?

As for riding in Illinois, you got that right, mostly flat. Especially in mid and northern Illinois.

The land is mostly flat around here but fortunately we have quite a few lakes and forested area so at least have some scenery. I have a little loop that I ride in my local area that has some nice curves and sweepers but that is about it.

When I want to ride I leave the state! LOL

I usually go down to the Smoky Mountains in the Georgia/Tennessee/N Carolina area as well as the NW area of Arkansas (Eureka Springs) a couple of times a year and ride.

Some fantastic roads in both places!

Peace,

Mike

Hi Mike

Putnam Park Road Course
    Moto Series Motorcycle Track Days and Road Racing
    5251 S. County Road 550 East, Mount Meridian, IN 46135

NCM MOTORSPORTS PARK
    505 GRIMES ROAD
    BOWLING GREEN, KY 42101

I am from North GA, so.....
    check out the NA GA thread on the site. The fellows there can meet you and you can ride till you pass out... hahaha
    They ride at a quick pace.....

see ya
    bill