Thread: Aprilia 200 won't start - brake lights not working either.

apriliaforum newb

Aprilia 200 won't start - brake lights not working either.

Hello, I am new to the forum and Aprilia. Just got a 2008 Aprilia 200 Scarabeo. Intermittently the scooter will not start. When this happens the brake lights also do not function. All other lights, gauges, etc. are working.

I understand the scooter must "think" at least one brake is applied before the starter button will work. When the brake lights do work it starts up fine with either brake applied. Is there some type of electrical relay between the brake levers and the brake lights? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

apriliaforum prov-nov Pinkscoot's Avatar
    I would check the switches on your break lights. They are on the brake levers and when you pull on the lever they pop out and complete the brake circuit. It could also be the bulbs aren't seated correctly so you get an intermittent connection. Here is a link to the switch.

apriliaforum Member
    The only relay in the starting circuit is the starting relay. The break light switch is in series with start button and starting relay.

Do as I say, not as I do

apriliaforum prov-nov Pinkscoot's Avatar
    If the switch is bad then the system won't know that the brake is being pulled and will think its trying to start without the brake on.

apriliaforum expert
    Yep - The system is simple and does not think just uses the brake light to provide power the the field coil of the starter relay. If the bike spent a lot of time out in the rain chances are that the brake light switches are sticking and need some attention. Sometimes just a little WD40 is all thats needed to clean them up.

apriliaforum expert
    yes and if thats the case then its time to grab some permatex dialectric grease to keep the water out
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 --- powder coat painting --- porting and polishing --- custom aluminum parts and machining --- ditech fuel pump service.

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi torque driver half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blueprinted frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.

tamiya fighting buggy and sand scorcher