Thread: Any longterm LED results on the Futura?

Any longterm LED results on the Futura?

Have read many posts on LED lights, alot seems to have been done on the Capo, results seem to be 'good' guess alot depends on what you are looking for.
    I don't generally ride at night, so more looking for the extra voltage that the LED will make available plus the side benefit of the white light daytime visibility.

As noted, Capo riders have fitted sealight systems to their bikes, seems relativly straightforward, but wanted if possible 1st hand experience of the same sort of set-up on the Futura, to make sure there is enough room to fit behind the headlight as much as anything.

Thanks

OG
    Fire Red Falco, my 1st Love.
    sidestand mod (Hayabusa), charging mod, larger sealed airbox, Gabro chip lower Buell rider pegs, braided lines, custom rider seat, home brew hard panniers, OHlins bouncer
    Add Two Tone RS Touring Futura'04, knock-off levers, charging mod, 05map, NWS hugger, Ohlins shock, 12v socket, lowered rider pegs, 848 twin exhausts, revamped plate hanger with pannier support.
    What's not to love!!.er

Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    Have read many posts on LED lights, alot seems to have been done on the Capo, results seem to be 'good' guess alot depends on what you are looking for.
    I don't generally ride at night, so more looking for the extra voltage that the LED will make available plus the side benefit of the white light daytime visibility.

As noted, Capo riders have fitted sealight systems to their bikes, seems relativly straightforward, but wanted if possible 1st hand experience of the same sort of set-up on the Futura, to make sure there is enough room to fit behind the headlight as much as anything.

Thanks

OG
    I'm assuming you mean the 'dip' side of the headlight?
    I have been running a HID conversion for mine and is superb however, the downside is that it makes my Osram NightBreakers which are very good on their own, appear very yellow in comparison and has always narked me.
    I am now looking into LED's for the high beam as we need the quicker response for the 'flash' to work and so that I can have a white / white light instead of a white / yellow light.
    Forgot to add, apart from the headlight, all bulbs on my bike are LED's
    Last edited by Corsehf; 12-18-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    Andy

Current: 2002 Futura RST in Silver
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Metal QD, H Pipe, Bef Cans, RSV De-restrictive Snorkel, RSV Forks & Brakes upgrade, NGK DCPR8EIX Iridiums, Earthed Throttlebodies, FPR Mod, Vee Max Starter Solenoid with uprated cables, FH008EE RR & Wiring Mods, NWS Hugger, Oxford OF691 Touring Hotgrips, Accessory & USB Sockets, HID Headlight, Pirelli Angel GT's

Up in Flames: 2001 Futura RST in Blue
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Skidmarx DB Screen & Hugger, K&N Filter, Brown Connectors soldered, R&G Hotgrips,
    Acumen DGV, Scottoiler, Accessory Socket. BikeVis Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Corsehf View Post
    I'm assuming you mean the 'dip' side of the headlight?
    I have been running a HID conversion for mine and is superb however, the downside is that it makes my Osram NightBreakers which are very good on their own, appear very yellow in comparison and has always narked me.
    I am now looking into LED's for the high beam as we need the quicker response for the 'flash' to work and so that I can have a white / white light instead of a white / yellow light.
    Forgot to add, apart from the headlight, all bulbs on my bike are LED's
    HI, yes was in principle meaning the dip side, but since all 3 bulbs are H7 version, I will have to look-up why the main beam couldn't be LED as well, I know the Capo crew have a hi/lo bulb they are using in LED version and they seem ( from what I have read) to be generally happy with it.
    sidestand mod (Hayabusa), charging mod, larger sealed airbox, Gabro chip lower Buell rider pegs, braided lines, custom rider seat, home brew hard panniers, OHlins bouncer
    Add Two Tone RS Touring Futura'04, knock-off levers, charging mod, 05map, NWS hugger, Ohlins shock, 12v socket, lowered rider pegs, 848 twin exhausts, revamped plate hanger with pannier support.
    What's not to love!!.er

Any longterm LED results on the Futura?

Sorry, but I do not believe in LED lamps in halogen-designed headlight. The only way is to retrofit LED lenses, as all modern vehicles has.
    Of course, there are LED reflector headlight, but they are much more different than ours.

Aprilia RST Futura 2003, Ash Gray.
    Aprilia Caponord 1200 Travel pack 2014, Red

I have started with spare headlight, found on Ebay.
    Next step (I hope soon) is to find LED lenses and find concept how and how much to place it inside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F24A40A8-2CF5-4242-BDA8-709E45C079BC.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	534.9 KB 
ID:	348236

Name:	662A6892-D5B0-4A91-9C8F-6F9B9E336AA0.jpg 
Size:	513.3 KB 
ID:	348237

Name:	62BFCA51-F189-47F1-A7EC-361DD7615B75.jpg 
Size:	525.8 KB 
ID:	348238

Any ideas appreciated.

Name:	20171221_162647[1].jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	446.9 KB 
ID:	348330
    You can make them fit, there is enough room behind for the fans. Fitted without dust cover to check for fit.

Name:	20171221_172100[1].jpg 
Size:	431.2 KB 
ID:	348331
    you have to warm and strech the rubber dust covers on first, it very hard but managable.

Name:	20171221_161937[1].jpg 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	348332
    right high beam bulb done, definatly a whiter light.
    Switch on/off is instantanious, not road tested yet, but beam looks to be at the same level.
    Will need another pair to do the dipped beam as well, a job for another day.

Name:	20171222_121959[1].jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	372.8 KB 
ID:	348333
    one side needed the retaining spring tighter to hold it in place, so I added some tubing to the spring.
    You have to remove the spring retaining screws, place the LED into position then re-fit the retainings screws with the sping in place, not easy very fiddly but possible

Name:	20171221_174701[1].jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	470.3 KB 
ID:	348334
    Fitted, then I undid the connection and put large dia. shrink tubing over the connector for a little extra protection on the socket.
    Last edited by old git; 12-22-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    What's not to love!!.er