Thread: Travelpack ADD issues

apriliaforum newb

Travelpack ADD issues

I had my bike apart to check the valves/change the plugs, and after reassembling I had several ECU fault codes (read and cleared with Guzzi Diag). I assume disconnecting and reconnecting the battery caused the faults. I now also have the flashing ADD icons, but as Guzzi Diag can't read that controller, I'll have to take it in to the dealer. So my question is, has anyone seen faults come up after simply changing the battery?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by jkloepping View Post
    I had my bike apart to check the valves/change the plugs, and after reassembling I had several ECU fault codes (read and cleared with Guzzi Diag). I assume disconnecting and reconnecting the battery caused the faults. I now also have the flashing ADD icons, but as Guzzi Diag can't read that controller, I'll have to take it in to the dealer. So my question is, has anyone seen faults come up after simply changing the battery?
    No, never had any issues disconnecting / reconnecting the battery. Calibration failure of the rear shock pre load motor can cause the ADD error. Check the preload motor is working and moving the shock spring as expected when you change the settings. Make sure you did not disturb the swing arm position sensor wiring when getting to the rear cam cover.

Mine happened without removing the battery. and has been diagnosed as a faulty part of the rear shock mechanism. I'm still waiting for the replacement part but can continue to use the bike with the auto suspension switched to 1+luggage. This stops the red light coming on and ADD flashing.

Apparently, this is another lesser-known fault acknowledged by Aprilia.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by RSTman View Post
    No, never had any issues disconnecting / reconnecting the battery. Calibration failure of the rear shock pre load motor can cause the ADD error. Check the preload motor is working and moving the shock spring as expected when you change the settings. Make sure you did not disturb the swing arm position sensor wiring when getting to the rear cam cover.
    do you mean that for example, with the bike on the side stand, I should see the rear shock extend and shorten as I cycle through the modes? Does the motor need to be running, or just the key on?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by jkloepping View Post
    do you mean that for example, with the bike on the side stand, I should see the rear shock extend and shorten as I cycle through the modes? Does the motor need to be running, or just the key on?
    Yes, the engine must be running. You should see the preload compressing the spring from the bottom of the shock. No visible preload at solo setting progressing upto about 15mm or so at max, rider, pillion and luggage. The preload motor needs calibrating so it knows where the min and max values are for the shock. If it looses this the system will indicate an ADD fault and deactivate the preload motor. Calibration is a dealer and PADS job.

apriliaforum Junkie coolonthecoast's Avatar
    The Bikes engine needs to be running
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F