Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody running Taylormade pipes?

apriliaforum Member

Anybody running Taylormade pipes?

Any of you resourceful gents out there running Taylormade pipes with a non H-pipe connection.
    My bike is running 110 Miles on a tank with the rear of my bike smelling like a kentucky coal mine.

Any suggestions?

Jerry.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Fuel pressure regulator is toast or coil pack(s) have failed. Most folks get WAY more miles than that out of a tank on an RST.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

200+ on mine with pretty spirited riding. Staintunes, no H-pipe.
    JD

'01 Futura

apriliaforum Member
    If the Coil/s are/ have failed, would'nt I see that on the Fault codes?
    Does no fault readings point me towards the Fuel Pressure regulator?

Also, Easy way to test the coils?

Waddyathink?

Quote Originally Posted by Afrodog View Post
    If the Coil/s are/ have failed, would'nt I see that on the Fault codes?
    Does no fault readings point me towards the Fuel Pressure regulator?

Also, Easy way to test the coils?

Waddyathink?
    Are you running the 05 Map?
    If so, have you done the FPR mod?
    Failed coils should throw up fault codes but some have reported not.
    If you have a spare good spark plug, pull the HT leads, connect the spare plug into each lead (one at a time), earth the plug electrode onto the engine and hit the starter and check for a spark.

I get 225 - 230 miles per tank at an average of 55mpg
    Andy

Current: 2002 Futura RST in Silver
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Metal QD, H Pipe, Bef Cans, RSV De-restrictive Snorkel, RSV Forks & Brakes upgrade, NGK DCPR8EIX Iridiums, Earthed Throttlebodies, FPR Mod, Vee Max Starter Solenoid with uprated cables, FH008EE RR & Wiring Mods, NWS Hugger, Oxford OF691 Touring Hotgrips, Accessory & USB Sockets, HID Headlight, Pirelli Angel GT's

Up in Flames: 2001 Futura RST in Blue
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Skidmarx DB Screen & Hugger, K&N Filter, Brown Connectors soldered, R&G Hotgrips,
    Acumen DGV, Scottoiler, Accessory Socket. BikeVis Bullets

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I just had a Capo on the dyno with two bad coils....and zero reported errors. Same efi as RST.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum Member
    Ok guys, Thanks this is all good information.

Yes on the 05 map
    Yes on the Mod.

From here, As a process,
    1. Pull the leads off the existing plugs (New by the way) Ground and check.
    2. Replace the FPR, (I happen to have a spare parts bike). Is that an easy swap, from the diagram, looks simple?, anything to be wary of?

Thanks Gents.
    Last edited by Afrodog; 12-15-2017 at 11:34 PM.

There is a better way to check the coils with the engine running. Make a search in this forum.
    Last edited by deefred; 12-16-2017 at 03:14 AM.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Check your CO2 emissisions - they need to be 2.7% when running the FPR mod.(this is about as low as you can get them).I was getting poor economy as mine was at 6% !!!!- since changed and I get 50mpg now.
    04 Silver,FPR Mod,Derestrict Airbox,Mille Boot,Reg/Rec Mod.,05 Map,Heated Grips,Smoked Screen,Beftura Forks,Scottoiler,Stone Chips,Scratches...

The Art of Bodge-It Never Fails.

apriliaforum Member
    Deefred,
    Can you please be a little more specific. there seems to be lots of conversation around coil tests, but not seeing a straight process description
    Thanks

Jerry

For checking that you get a spark on each spark plug, the best is to do it with a running engine.

Just start the bike and then unplug one*LT*lead of an ignition*coil.
    If it starts to run on one cylinder it means the other spark plug on the same cylinder is not firing.

Do this for all coils.

If you are uncertain how the engine sounds like with only one cylinder running, disconnect both coils on the same cylinder.

Do not disconnect the high tension leads only the low tension ones.

Coils tend to have the highest failure rate, but also a bad HT lead, bad*coil*connector*or bad spark plug can cause this.*
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum Member
    Ok, Report back to all you helpful lot.

Took humpty apart and I could not determine a bad coil from Defred's process. No error messages either.

Went ahead and installed a set of Almost new Magnacore leads from my Bannana shaped parts bike.
    (That's another story) and presto, Bike runs 75% better.

It's still stinky out back, Speznas and I agree that another sit down with Tune ECU and we can probably lean her out a little more
    Fuel trim is currently at 38. with no other deviations from 05 Stock.

Anybody with open pipes have opinions around where this number should be?

Thanks

Jerry.

Did you really disconnect the low tension connector from the coil? It will generate either a flashing EFI light or a code with the diagnostic cables connected.

apriliaforum Member
    Deefred,
    Sorry, my simple feedback,
    Detached each coil one at a time. Each coil brought back an error code reflected by its correct number. The wiring was correct. Could not determine any bad coil, each one made a small difference. Once all was swapped out with the Magnacores, everything seemed to run better.Only difference was that prior to the project error code was -1, afterwards +1.
    Original leads felt stiff. Routing them was btw, a complete pain in the ass.

Thanks for the help.

Jerry.

O.K FYI the +1 and -1 is only the position of the kill switch (Unless there is another fault in the system. It takes a few seconds for it to change code if you flip the kill switch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast