Thread: Starter, relay and switch ordered, any tips, tricks or pitfalls you know of?

apriliaforum Member

Question Starter, relay and switch ordered, any tips, tricks or pitfalls you know of?

I got my upgraded forks put back on my 08 Shiver last week. After everything was back together, I tried to crank her for a quick test ride. The engine would turn over and sound like it was gonna fire but didn't. I tried 2 or 3 times then the starter switch stuck. I pulled it to off then tried to crank it and the starter didn't turn. I just get a click that sounds like it comes from behind the radiator when I hit the switch.

I put a trickle charger on the battery and tried a few days later. The starter did not turn. I still just get that click.

The battery is an unknown in this equation, I have not had a chance to have it load tested. If I do need a new battery also, do you guys suggest an AGM or a Lithium? I have had very bad results from a Shorai Lithium battery in my Guzzi but that could just be the Guzzi's fault or my fault, I guess.

I'm the third owner of the bike and it has just under 18,000 miles on it. So, I went ahead and placed an order from our friends at AF1 Racing for a new starter, relay and starter switch. Do any of you have any tips or tricks to putting these parts on or warnings about easy to screw up things I might come across when installing this stuff?
    2008 Aprilia Shiver
    2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

apriliaforum prov-nov
    The click sounds like the solenoid operating. Measure the voltage at the starter when you press the button.

If you are not getting 12V it is a faulty solenoid. Try shorting across the solenoid to make the starter turn.

If you are getting 12V the starter motor is faulty. Try tapping it to free it, otherwise dismantle and clean.

Also check all connections are clean and tight.

Quote Originally Posted by DJB quad View Post
    The click sounds like the solenoid operating. Measure the voltage at the starter when you press the button.

If you are not getting 12V it is a faulty solenoid. Try shorting across the solenoid to make the starter turn.

If you are getting 12V the starter motor is faulty. Try tapping it to free it, otherwise dismantle and clean.

Also check all connections are clean and tight.
    Good suggestions.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand