Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help a newbie? Shift pattern confusion & flaky neutral

apriliaforum newb

Question Help a newbie? Shift pattern confusion & flaky neutral

Hey all!

So my new mistress (and first v-twin!) arrived on Monday; an '04 Tuono!

Generally it's in great nick, but the gearbox has me a little concerned, and I'd really appreciate some advice from people that know their stuff...

1) The shift pattern is one-down, five-up. Is this standard? If not, is switching the pattern an easy 180 swap, as with some other bikes?
    2) Is it usually so bl**dy hard to find neutral?! I'm used to Suzuki I4s, but still...

Separately I wouldn't be concerned, but I'm a little worried that the two things together may suggest that the original gearbox has been "fettled" or even swapped out by a previous owner. Especially if changing the shift pattern isn't a simple operation. Obviously, if it's something that needs to be addressed I'd rather get it sorted within the limited warranty I've got

Not sure what you're used to, but 99% of street motorcycles are the traditional standard shift pattern of 1 down-4 or 5 up. Some people switch to a GP shift pattern, which reverses things. Was your Suzuki a track bike at one time? Mostly racers and track day junkies will reverse to a GP shift pattern. Neutral can be a little difficult at times. You think the '04 is flaky with N, I have to find N before I come to a stop on my '12!
    Last edited by rsvrick; 12-14-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    '12 Tuono V4 APRC
    '03 Ducati ST4S

apriliaforum newb
    I've always had 1-down/5-up, but it looks like I've confused myself whilst wandering around the internet - I thought that 1-up/5-down was standard for a Tuono/RSV. The manual hasn't exactly helped either - the pic on page 54 completely contradicts the one on page 53... Ahem.. Well... That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Good to hear my bike isn't the only one with a shy neutral though. The gearbox seems smooth enough whilst on the move to be fair, it's just a pain when stationary. I'll go for neutral whilst rolling to a stop next time, cheers!
    Last edited by mookle; 12-13-2017 at 05:36 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    My bike is an 03 and neutral is almost impossible to find at a stop! Once in a great while when it is really hot I can find it. But mostly I just down shift to 2nd & pop it into neutral b4 I stop. I had a Suzuki Bandit that was REALLY easy to find neutral anytime. I also have a 15 EBR1190SX which I figured would be hard too But it's easier than the Bandit.
    Don-M

2003 Aprilia Tuono
    2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V Sold it
    2015 EBR1190SX
    1975 Kawasaki Z1

Quote Originally Posted by mookle View Post
    I thought that 1-up/5-down was standard for a Tuono/RSV.
    No, one down and five up is standard.

Quote Originally Posted by mookle View Post
    The manual hasn't exactly helped either - the pic on page 54 completely contradicts the one on page 53.
    The first pic (53) shows shifting up and the second pic (54) shows shifting down.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    The first pic (53) shows shifting up and the second pic (54) shows shifting down.
    Yeah, I eventually realised that after reading the text, but that pic was the confusing bit; since when has down-shifting been 1st up, and 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc down?!

Yeah, they did mess up a bit on both illustrations.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Check if the clutch oil jet has been changed to the 0.4 mm type, it makes finding neutral so much easier, plenty of info etc on this forum about it

apriliaforum Member
    Got an '05 Tuono, it's had the clutch oil jet changed and it can still be a phaff to get in neutral but it always gets there in the end.
    Not really a problem, you learn to live with it; the rest of the ride makes up for it.
    It's what they used to call 'character'.

apriliaforum newb
    A Tuono’s with nuetral? Never heard of it. Sort of like a T with rear brakes!

I did my wife`s tuono the cheap way, had right size drill but no extra jet so I used soldering iron and soldered hole shut and redrilled to smaller size..worked like a charm and she finds neutral easier now..still a pain sometimes but just get it before you stop
    Once you have ruined your reputation, you can live quite freely

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by mwlehman View Post
    I did my wife`s tuono the cheap way, had right size drill but no extra jet so I used soldering iron and soldered hole shut and redrilled to smaller size..worked like a charm and she finds neutral easier now..still a pain sometimes but just get it before you stop
    Exactly as I did mine, the improvement was astounding , I could slip into neutral quite easily

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinos View Post
    A Tuono’s with nuetral? Never heard of it. Sort of like a T with rear brakes!
    You've obviously not got Aprilia Performance' rear sets fitted...a T with a rear brake!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1224.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	515.1 KB 
ID:	348110

Quote Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
    You've obviously not got Aprilia Performance' rear sets fitted...a T with a rear brake!
    Must admit I never had a good back brake till I fitted a pair of these to my old Mille

Running rsv4 rearsets (via adaptor plates) on the falco and that has a great rear brake
    please get in touch if you would like a modded collector,adjustable lock-stops or quick release tank and seat pins

Mine's OK on the Mille. I have a banjo bleed nipple on the master cylinder so it helps with the bleeding.
    Mille Aarrr -02 & KTM 625 SXC -05
    My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast