Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great interview withe Herve' Poncharal

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)

Great interview withe Herve' Poncharal

Herve' speaks about Zarco, the 2017 bike and if Tech3 will be able to stay with Yamaha

https://www.gpone.com/en/2017/12/11/...th-yamaha.html

apriliaforum Member
    Yes nice write up, explains a lot about the politics
    But that aside, Tech3 and others are running an annual budget of that of the top guys salaries only, 15-20 million €
    if Zarco gets 3M and Rins 1.5, from 15M it leaves about 12million, for 18 rounds

I guess operating cost at almost 500k per round including lease on the bikes, it makes it especially hard for private teams in MotoGP.

Riders today need to ‘ bring in money ´ in order to have a good wage in the private sector.

if he’s talking about losing Zarco, and the potential loss of the Yamaha contract, he probably knows something, and that for once Yamaha will take on a rookie from’T3, and that Rossi is due to retire and advance his VR46 team into Motogp. Let’s see what develops.
    Previous bikes : AR50 - AR80 - CB250N - RD350LC - RGV250 - VT400 - TDR250 - VIRAGO 535 - RF600 - RF900 - CBR600 - GSXR750 - TL1000R - T160 TRIUMPH - R1 - PIAGGIO - R6 - RC30 - 916SPS - VFR800 - 675 DAYTONA - CBR600RR - TL1000R - YZF750 - RSV4 FACTORY.

Quote Originally Posted by V4Victory View Post
    Herve' speaks about Zarco, the 2017 bike and if Tech3 will be able to stay with Yamaha

https://www.gpone.com/en/2017/12/11/...th-yamaha.html
    Thanks Vic . Nice read. It would be a shame if Herv got the flik from Yamaha for rossi.

apriliaforum Junkie
    That's basically what he said during the Valencia test when they spent an hour talking with him. You've got to admire the guy being one of the top people in this paddock, rider and crew together.. telling like it is and so down to earth.
    He knows they'll loose the Yamaha partnership, probably will go get another team like Suzuki or KTM, most likely KTM if they keep improving the way they do. I wasn't aware of how tight their budget is, it's incredible and people saying it's the 2016 bike vs factory bike, the difference in support, engineer, staff, new parts etc.. that's a real achievement.

I'm confident they didn't make tires mistake during the season, they've been in the game for 20 years, experience speaks for itself... And the fuel fuck up was from a Yamaha engineer...

I think KTM will snap Zarco, it can't be Suzuki, unlikely Honda but that would be an amazing team MM/JZ, I think Honda's seat is for Mir if he does well in moto2. I don't see him on a Duc either, he doesn't have enough sponsor..

No love for Zarco to take Rossi's seat should he decide to retire?

This coming season will make some interesting choices to be made.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    No love for Zarco to take Rossi's seat should he decide to retire?

This coming season will make some interesting choices to be made.
    Rossi has hinted that he may make a decision on his future after the first few races of next season. Depends on how long that takes and whether KTM for example signs up Zarco earlier ? Also will the Yamaha team based out of Italy want a Spaniard and a French rider in the team ??

He said that about last season as well. I don't think he is mentally ready to retire, and he has shown that he is still competitive. At some point I would think that Yamaha might want to push him towards a choice so that they can plan for the future as well.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Good read, as always no bullshit from Herve, one of the dwindling number of people in the paddock that speak their mind without being gagged by factory or sponsors.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quite frankly out of this good interview only one comment from Hervé leaves me skeptical, I'm not exactly sure is how greedy is JZ5 looking for a big cash pay-out, probably he says that implying Tech3 can't pay much more than 3m for a rider currently. I don't believe he's after the money.. not that KTM couldn't pay but I don't see it.. He's French, same as I am, it's not all about that green on that side of the ocean.

I think JZ5 wants to be the lead rider in the team, full support from factory during practice, test and race which if we look at KTM records and all the wild cards, moto3/2 improvement, they can certainly afford that. From the dozen of interviews and declaration you can see he really wants to bring back Motorcycle sport in the forefront in France as right now it's in the shitter and an easy pay-day wouldn't help, so he's after quick impressive results. Also, I think he would be interested in support for his ZF Grand Prix School (if he gets fucked by the Yamaha/Rossi situation, as he's currently being sponsored by Yamaha for his school's bike).. KTM could do that, I believe more easily than Suzuki..(Aprilia?)

Talking about Aprilia, they'd be fucking stupid not to write him a check, just for shit and giggles, who knows

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    I believe you are right, Zarco is not motivated by money and neither does he appear to court fame........he's happy to spend his free time with the mechanics or on his own out of the limelight and even sleeps in the back of the transporter with his bike on occasion rather than go to a hotel. I'm not even sure whether he has a motorhome to use in Europe.

But a factory ride has to be his goal for 2019, that's the only way he will get max support and influence the development of a bike to optimise his chances of winning a championship......as good a team as Tech 3 is they're never going to be able to offer him that chance unless Yamaha change their ways and give them factory support and a current bike similar to the LCR/Cal Crutchlow arrangement........and even then its not all that it seems as they then get used as the test mule for the real factory team....a similar scenario seems to have happened for Petrucci this season and the testing work has stunted his progress IMHO.

The only way I can see him getting full factory support from Yamaha is to replace Rossi or Vinales in 2019, otherwise I could see him moving to KTM......by the end of next year that bike should be capable of regular top 5 if their current rate of progress continues, the Suzuki factory just can't match them on their level of commitment, historically they've always been like that.

apriliaforum expert
    When Rossi leaves Yamaha, will Yamaha be reluctant to have two title rivals in the same team ? I'm sure Vinales wouldn't be too happy to have Zarco in the team. Also if Rossi were to leave, would a lot of the team leave and their experience leave with him ? Would Yamaha feel that they'd be better able to challenge Honda with a definite number 1 and number 2 rider ? KTM to me would be his best choice, he can get a bike that that he can make "his" bike and have a real title shot.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by V4Victory View Post
    When Rossi leaves Yamaha, will Yamaha be reluctant to have two title rivals in the same team ? .
    Realistically, Yamaha has been the only team to really pitch two potential champions within the team.
    Ok Rossi has not won that 10th, but has been runner up or top 5 for years, with Lorenzo either winning or also runner up. And now partnered by Maverick tipped to be the next best thing.
    So you never know.
    Previous bikes : AR50 - AR80 - CB250N - RD350LC - RGV250 - VT400 - TDR250 - VIRAGO 535 - RF600 - RF900 - CBR600 - GSXR750 - TL1000R - T160 TRIUMPH - R1 - PIAGGIO - R6 - RC30 - 916SPS - VFR800 - 675 DAYTONA - CBR600RR - TL1000R - YZF750 - RSV4 FACTORY.

Herve Poncharal is a gem! Straightforward, positive, and blessed with a fine sense of humor he is an asset to MotoGP. Contrast his nature to the lip purser standing in the bLU cRU garage!

I'm sure Vinales wouldn't be too happy to have Zarco in the team.
    Based on the second half of the season, I don't think he has shit to say about it.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post
    I believe you are right, Zarco is not motivated by money and neither does he appear to court fame........he's happy to spend his free time with the mechanics or on his own out of the limelight and even sleeps in the back of the transporter with his bike on occasion rather than go to a hotel. I'm not even sure whether he has a motorhome to use in Europe.
    That's true during his 2T days and moto 2 he slept with his bikes & mechanics in the motorhome, when you think about it, it's quite unreal, he also took a pay-cut at some point so the team could afford upgrades, that's documented. I can't think of anyone else who did the same. So clearly, he's not motivated by money.. Fame maybe a bit more, at least to be recognize as one of the great riders.

But that's certain, he needs/wants a factory ride to go to the next step, even getting full factory support from Yamaha at Tech3 wouldn't be competitive enough I believe.
    Quite excited for next year to be honest, it's going to be a great championship

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast