Thread: Can crankshaft bearings for an Aprilia Sportcity be replaced?

apriliaforum newb

Unhappy Can crankshaft bearings for an Aprilia Sportcity be replaced?

I have an issue with the crankshaft and may need to be replaced, but apparently, main bearings may be damaged as well.

While watching Robot's YouTube Vespa GTS Complete Engine Overhaul pt.1 Disassembly video, he mentioned that on rare occasions when there is damage on the main bearings, the crankcase would need to get replaced, implying that the bearings are not replaced.

But my question is, are these bearings installed in such a way or are they special in any way that they cannot be swapped new ones with the correct dimensions?

I've attached screengrabs of Robot's video showing the bearing in yellow highlight. I don't have the same engine, but it looks very similar. And also, the parts catalog does not list the bearings separately, so for all intents and purposes, it would have the same configuration.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aprilia Sportcity Crankcase Main Left Bearing.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	347544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aprilia Sportcity Crankcase Main Right Bearing.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	347545

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance!

apriliaforum expert
    i cant see anything w t yellow in the way. not the same engine anyway? let start at the beggining please. tell me start to finish how you got here and what model and year.
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012 ---

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

previous vehicles - subaru legacy turbo 1991 - mazda mx6 turbo 1990.

apriliaforum newb
    The yellow highlight is transparent, so is not really blocking much of the detail. The top picture looks like what you see behind the highlighted area, a solid wide ring. On the pic below, you'll see the same except there appears to be a couple of notches on its sides.

I've repaired (or rather just replaced) a bunch of engine parts (cylinder, seals, piston and rings, new variator, new carburetor, new intake manifold, etc, etc.) based on the vespa GTS videos from the Vespa Motorsport channel. Everything looks identical, that's why I didn't want to mention a specific model because it wasn't sold in the US and that's the first thing people answer.

I have an Aprilia SportCity 200 E2 bike. Most of the parts I've bought (clutch, variator, etc) are the same as for the ~2005 Piaggio VB200, so...

The point of my query is to get some advice regarding replacing those main crankshaft bearings. Aprilia does not list them on the parts catalog, they list the whole crankcase part; which I think is what people replace when there are issues with the bearings.

My question was whether those bearings were impossible to remove and replace with equivalent ones and whether anyone had any experience doing it...

Thanks!

apriliaforum expert
    great/ listen they look like pressed in cups to prevent seal damage for long life like a shock absorber might have in between the seal and the shaft spring seat.

i think they can be left in or pressed out while dealing w t bearings and seals.

cough/ so my point is.... is yours still together so we can do a few easy tests???

---
    if its been split allready then it needs new ngk/fag/etc bearings and seals from a local bearing distributer? there are brand names on both and part numbers too so relax and explain yourself if you want custom help not offered in a generic manual. cheers

derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - malossi T.C. half - custom GPS dash - TPR 70CC - topperf crank - vl13 reed and spacer- yamaha rt180 kickstand - giannelli shotV4 - phbg 21mm - doppler mesh top venturi filter

complete wtp volta bmx 2012 - sanko seamless japanese cromoly heat treated and blue printed frame - 21lbs

1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - maier plastics -chromed shearer pipe - chromed works suspension - ++++++++ - 220lbs

apriliaforum newb
    Yeah, that's what I thought. But I was a bit afraid that those bearings would not come off somehow because like I said, the dealers don't replace them individually, they replace the whole crankcase...

By the way, I have not opened up the engine because I have to get all the necessary parts in order to do an overhaul and it takes about 3 weeks to get a bunch of back-ordered parts.

But yeah, you made me feel better about taking the engine apart and trust that the bearings can indeed be removed and replaced...

Thanks a lot!

apriliaforum expert
    well be here! talk to you soon

apriliaforum newb
    I'm pretty sure is a Piaggio engine. When looking for parts with the "AP" prefix, most are superseded with Piaggio part numbers.

Thanks for the recommended websites, I'll look those up.

Cheers!

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for taking the time to take a look. I also took a look, but came up with this:

From the parts catalog, I search for the indicated crankshaft part # (AP8590012) at apriliasuperstore and comes back with a suggested superseded part # (8411965001). That superseded part # is actually available at sip-scootershop, but cost $296.91.

So it's a good thing it's in stock, but now the interesting part is that that engine uses either a CAT 1 Crankshaft (AP8590012 superseded by 8411965001) and CAT2 Crankshaft (AP8590029 superseded by 8411965002), but it appears that the only way to know which one it needs is by opening up the engine to see which one it has, so that's a bummer.

But the good thing is that both of these are available at sip-scootershop!

Cheers!

apriliaforum newb
    Based on my experience having already bought a bunch of original Piaggio parts for my bike, most of them are this expensive, so I'm almost not surprised. I think it has to do with it being an older model and being Piaggio original parts.

But yeah, is not performance or anything. They are the original stock designs. The performance replacement parts are mostly Malossi and another brand I can't remember.

So yeah, it sucks is this expensive, but based on everything else I already bought for this bike, I think that's the way it is...

apriliaforum expert
    The Sport City 200 should have an engine similar to the BV200 which is a long case Piaggio 4 valve 4 stroke which was used from 2003 to 2006 on those in the US (longer on the Sport City in Europe) and not really the Vespa Short case engine.

There are 2 versions of crankshaft for those engines so you have to wait until you take off at least the cylinder to read the markings to find out if you need a Cat1 8411965001 or Cat2 8411965002 crankshaft. If you call Piaggio's main US office with the VIN and Serial Number they may be able to tell you how to determine which is correct without disassembling the engine first. Yes the bearings can be pressed out and replaced by a competent machine shop however it cost can be prohibitive to get the crank centered and fitted correctly afterwards. I forget if the bearings are undersized and need to be reamed out with a through ream with the crankcase assembled to ensure they align properly or if the case needs to be heated in an oven before pressing the bearings out or back in again. There are some mitigating reasons why most dealers will end up replacing the case halves instead of trying to press in new bearings themselves.

Micah will probably have the most experience with making the call to repair or replace on the old style Piaggio 200.

One usually does not see any Sport City 200 scooters that were sold directly in the USA. What year is yours and how did one come by what one would consider a Non-US model here in the USA?

apriliaforum newb
    Yikes! In that case, it would suck if the bearings are damaged!

Right on regarding the BV200 similarities, a lot of parts are identical, albeit not documented.

This model scooter was sold in Latin America, never in the US. The closest was the BV200 with regards to engine size and whatnot.

Thanks for the great tips!

Cheers!

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    Micah will probably have the most experience with making the call to repair or replace on the old style Piaggio 200.
    By the way, who's Micah or did you mean to say Mechanic?

Thanks!

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by eframsergio View Post
    By the way, who's Micah or did you mean to say Mechanic?

Thanks!
    Micah Shoemaker AF1 Moderator and Bike Mechanic who specializes in scooter mods. He's the goto guy for the most accurate info on rebuilding these engines.

apriliaforum newb
    Ahhh, cool!

I'm pretty sure hardly anyone has replaced the main bearings on a BV200-like engine, but it would be awesome if someone has and can share their knowledge about the process.
    It would be really helpful to also know if the crankcase has to be heated in an oven too in order to remove/install the main bearings.

Thanks!!!