Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burnt out clutch?

Burnt out clutch?

My bikes started playing up on me in the last week. Spent some time this morning trying to understand what was going on, and found that it's revving freely in gear, but that's not translating into forward momentum.
    Couple this with having stalled it three times in two weeks & I'm of the distinct impression that I've killed the clutch

Yikes! Oil in all the needed places?...reservoir? Engine have enough to coat the plates??? Everything I'm thinking of would result in the opposite results..
    What kind of riding you doing?
    How many miles?
    Slave cylinder issues?
    I'm no help... Someone with some smarts will be along shortly!
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

You're right, a lack of oil would have the opposite effect. Too much commuting clearly, but it's only 25k km, so it suggests something's been bound up, something's stuck now holding the clutch a little open or a clutch spring has gone. The bike will accelerate gradually okay, but if I try to floor it (say when turning into a gap in traffic), the motor spins up but the back wheel doesn't. If the plates aren't stuffed, they will be shortly :-/

Just started a new business, so really wasn't planning on putting any money into the bike for the next few months. Bollocks!

What front Sprocket do you have?
    AZRIDER
    15 CAPONORD 1200 TRAVEL PACK
    03 CAPONORD ETV 1000 DUST GRAY
    04 CANDY BLACKCHERRY GL1800 ABS

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsgfh View Post
    You're right, a lack of oil would have the opposite effect. Too much commuting clearly, but it's only 25k km, so it suggests something's been bound up, something's stuck now holding the clutch a little open or a clutch spring has gone. The bike will accelerate gradually okay, but if I try to floor it (say when turning into a gap in traffic), the motor spins up but the back wheel doesn't. If the plates aren't stuffed, they will be shortly :-/

Just started a new business, so really wasn't planning on putting any money into the bike for the next few months. Bollocks!
    Even with commuting I'd expect the actual clutch to go much longer than 25K, although I could be wrong.

I too have had one or two instances of the engine flaring under load. Came about just after the last service. But it hasn't happened since so I haven't given it another thought until this post.

I'm sure I'll take it back to A1 and they'll say it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by azrider View Post
    What front Sprocket do you have?
    I'm one tooth down at the front.

Quote Originally Posted by SudEst View Post
    Even with commuting I'd expect the actual clutch to go much longer than 25K, although I could be wrong.

I too have had one or two instances of the engine flaring under load. Came about just after the last service. But it hasn't happened since so I haven't given it another thought until this post.

I'm sure I'll take it back to A1 and they'll say it's fine.
    Yeah, I certainly shouldn't have cooked it so quickly. I've only killed a clutch once before, but that was a dry clutch on the NSR I used to track

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by dsgfh View Post
    Yeah, I certainly shouldn't have cooked it so quickly. I've only killed a clutch once before, but that was a dry clutch on the NSR I used to track
    Did you put aftermarket levers on? My levers were binding slightly causing the clutch to slip. You also may need to bleed the hydraulic clutch.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

have you tried bleeding it?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbyter View Post
    have you tried bleeding it?
    I'm not sure how bleeding the hydraulics is going to help a slipping clutch. Air in the system will make the clutch difficult to release, not make it slip. If the slave piston is sticking or actuator rod is damaged it may cause the clutch plates to be held apart or lessen the spring pressure on them. Another possibility is the wrong, or contaminated engine oil.

There are some high mileage owners on here and there have been no reports of clutch failure. That said the oil is always pretty black come oil change so I wonder if it's caused by the clutch. Melting stator insulation is another possibility I suppose.

There could be just a defeacive Clutch but we all know that doesn't happen with Aprilia's.

Driving style does have a lot to do with the Clutch longevity.
    Conditition, ie, in Town setting at Signal Lights or Stop Signs, in gear takes it toll.
    Nutural (N) may be preferred for prolong stops.
    Constant rappid starts??
    In town constant up and down shifting.

I may be lucky as I live out where I only use first and second gears twice and then onto the Freeway with no more shifting for 40 miles and maybe 50 or 60 depending on what part of Town I am going to.

I'm sure it all can make a differance in the longevity of the Cluch
    AZRIDER
    15 CAPONORD 1200 TRAVEL PACK
    03 CAPONORD ETV 1000 DUST GRAY
    04 CANDY BLACKCHERRY GL1800 ABS

Air in the system can expand with temperature and if the pressure is not being released it could cause pressure in the slave cylinder and cause slipping. Just a thought thrown in nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by azrider View Post
    There could be just a defeacive Clutch but we all know that doesn't happen with Aprilia's.

Driving style does have a lot to do with the Clutch longevity.
    Conditition, ie, in Town setting at Signal Lights or Stop Signs, in gear takes it toll.
    Nutural (N) may be preferred for prolong stops.
    Constant rappid starts??
    In town constant up and down shifting.

I may be lucky as I live out where I only use first and second gears twice and then onto the Freeway with no more shifting for 40 miles and maybe 50 or 60 depending on what part of Town I am going to.

I'm sure it all can make a differance in the longevity of the Cluch
    Certainly the first year or two I owned the bike the low speed fueling was rubbish, which on my CBD commute meant I was almost permanently on the clutch :-/ better garage the bike & order new filter & plates from A1. Dry clutches are so much easier to replace

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abnknows View Post
    Did you put aftermarket levers on? My levers were binding slightly causing the clutch to slip. You also may need to bleed the hydraulic clutch.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    This is a good question - when i fitted aftermarket levers on mine i didn't allow enough clearance - once it all hotted up no clearance and clutch slipped.

If you haven't done this the sadly not a lot of help. Good luck

Stock levers.

Ed has given me the details, but they've got a 6 week lead time as the parts have to come from italy. Local dealer also has a 6-8 week lead time as they aren't holding stock & ship by boat.

So, at this stage it looks like https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/ might be my best bet as they'll DHL the parts, and they cost a little less. Hopefully they can get hold of the parts faster by road than we can by boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast