Thread: Tuono V4 Brake issues.

apriliaforum newb

Question Tuono V4 Brake issues.

Hello. So I have an issue recently that may or may not be related to changing the brake lever. After changing my brake lever, I had an issue start where the brake lever would feel normal, then suddenly after riding for a while without using the brakes, the point where the brakes start biting hard changes.

By this I mean if I ride for a few miles, I try to go for the brake, and it seems like nothing's there for the first little bit then it catches. If I use the brake a lot, like in city traffic, sometimes the lever will act such that if I barely tap it my bike starts to stop hard.

I emptied the fluid, cleaned the calipers out (was thinking maybe it was sticking), refilled, bled the whole system, left the lever zip tied-overnight, bled again, still happening.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this strange issue where the brake lever will change in feeling? Do I still have air in my system? Is my MC sticking? When the lever is super firm, I don't feel like the brakes are dragging, because the bike is easy to move around in neutral at a stop.

If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. Right now I'm looking at rebuilding the MC, but I'm not sure of the size of the cylinder. The nearest dealer is 6 hours away, and I'd like to avoid a mechanic until I've exhausted all options. I've bled and flushed brakes plenty of times on other bikes and cars, but I've never quite had an issue like this. Thanks.

apriliaforum expert
    Try putting the stock lever back on.......

apriliaforum newb
    I have, same thing. It's an OEM replacement, I bent the old one so I replaced it with OEM. The only thing I can think of is that when I took off the lever, the piston extended too far or something and caused something...blocked port or air at the equalizer side? Honestly I'm at a loss. I'll probably tear apart the MC when I get home today and make sure it's clean.

apriliaforum newb
    try bleeding the system, sounds like there might be air in the line or mc.

apriliaforum newb
    Does the front wheel spin freely when in the air?

apriliaforum expert
    shitty ebay levers that dont fit the master cylinder properly. Google it. It's common. Take them off before you're dead. (much harder to take off after you're dead)

apriliaforum newb
    I've bled the system at all points, no dice. There is zero air as far as I can tell. I've bled with vacuum pump, by hand, and reverse bled all for good measure, there should be zero air left in the system.

apriliaforum newb
    It's an OEM lever, not aftermarket or cheapshit Ebay levers. I dropped the bike a few months ago and bent the lever, and decided to replace it. I've lined them up on top of each other, and taken measurements. I believe, however, this is not the 'Brembo' lever, but all center points are still the same.

apriliaforum newb
    If the lever is correct and no air in the system... Mc damaged? Kink in a line? Depending on the year, abs could be causing issues or other potential damage? Wish you the best of luck in finding the culprit.

apriliaforum newb
    Appreciate it. I've torn apart (literally, destroyed the boot on accident) the MC to clean it out, waiting on a response on a rebuild kit.

apriliaforum newb
    Just my 2 cents but I would think the MC was damaged in the fall. You'll be lucky if the rebuild kit will fix it as its probably mechanical damage to the piston and/or bore of the MC. Be careful if you ride it! Best of luck on the repair

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I had the problem when the bike was brand new. Brakes would seize when riding. Scary shit...
    Turned out that the pin from the lever that pushes the brake MC was too far out. I put one revolution on the treads and now it is fine. I have a picture and a tread about this in this forum.