Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 TV4F damper not working?

apriliaforum newb

2017 TV4F Steering damper not working?

Anyone else notice that there is barely any dampening difference from min to max on the ohlins units?

I am asking the dealer check it, but the service writer said it only activates above 140mph.

I tested another new unit sitting on the show floor, but it was the same as mine and even an RF that was sitting there was also similar.

Is this normal...my zx10 had a pretty useless ohlins as well, but I have higher expectations for Aprilia.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks in advance

Patrick
    Last edited by redninja; 12-04-2017 at 02:19 PM.

If you're talking about the steering damper then, as I recall, there was a big difference from max to min on mine.

And tell your service writer you'd like to talk to someone else; clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

apriliaforum newb
    Yeah, the Steering damper...I figured it was probably has little or no oil in it. I have seen that before on Ducs out the crate

Turning the bars from side to side while its sitting on the showroom floor is an invalid test; Its only going to work when in use & the front wheel gets jarred; thats how suspension works, it requires sudden heavy force to dampen the blow.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus7 View Post
    Turning the bars from side to side while its sitting on the showroom floor is an invalid test; Its only going to work when in use & the front wheel gets jarred; thats how suspension works, it requires sudden heavy force to dampen the blow.
    I have an non electronic linear ohlins on my s1k and it's provides a lot more resistance at full slow vs full fast stationary.

apriliaforum newb
    Yes the ohlins damper on these bikes are really soft. Almost no difference in the settings. Inside there is a valve with holes. You can change this valve to a model without holes. After that the damper is good with a lot of adjustment from soft to stiff. It is kind of race spec for this damper. There are 2 different models. The valve with holes and without. I made this change at a ohlins mec, it was about 80 euro parts and work.

Valve is wrong word, what i meant is a needle. Standard is needle with holes and you change that to the one without holes. After that it has more adjustability and is a lot stiffer in the stiff end.
    Last edited by joni; 12-05-2017 at 08:08 PM.

My Sachs just made a sad squelchy sound when I lifted the front and moved the bars. Swapped it out for an aftermarket one and it's much better.
    2013 Tuono APRC Yellow Crotch Banana with...
    Heated grips, Stompgrips, tail tidy, new steering damper, titanium spindle nuts, PIAA bulbs, USB ports, RAM mount, gel seat, RSV4 air filter, crash bungs and engine covers, shortened Akra, IRC auto blipper, Gabro ECU reflash

apriliaforum expert
    Does anyone make a good aftermarket damper that fits our bikes? If so any info. would be great....

apriliaforum Member johnnyjellybean's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
    Does anyone make a good aftermarket damper that fits our bikes? If so any info. would be great....
    Yes ....... one that is not overly expensive.
    2013 Tuono V4
    2011 Ducati Monster 796 modded
    2007 Harley Streetbob 120RWHP/120RWTQ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Stee...O/321712641220

You need a piece of 8mm nylon tubing, 10mm long as a bush as the hole in the middle clamp bit that screws under the dash has an 8mm hole and it's a 6mm bolt. Apart from that, it adjusts from completely locked up (not advisable to ride with it like that!) to floppy as a dead otter.
    Heated grips, Stompgrips, tail tidy, new steering damper, titanium spindle nuts, PIAA bulbs, USB ports, RAM mount, gel seat, RSV4 air filter, crash bungs and engine covers, shortened Akra, IRC auto blipper, Gabro ECU reflash

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by manic_grin View Post
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Stee...O/321712641220

You need a piece of 8mm nylon tubing, 10mm long as a bush as the hole in the middle clamp bit that screws under the dash has an 8mm hole and it's a 6mm bolt. Apart from that, it adjusts from completely locked up (not advisable to ride with it like that!) to floppy as a dead otter.
    Great info. thanks! Not 100% sure I trust the chinese steering dampers on my bikes though....the whole "locking up" bit scares me, hehehe

Great info. thanks! Not 100% sure I trust the chinese steering dampers on my bikes though....the whole "locking up" bit scares me, hehehe
    Well don't tighten the screw that hard! You can lock up any steering damper with a needle valve.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by manic_grin View Post
    Well don't tighten the screw that hard! You can lock up any steering damper with a needle valve.

LOL...well of course....just have dreams of metal shaving floating in the oil and locking it up. Yeah I know, I need to get over it, lol.

apriliaforum expert
    Just ordered one from ebay for 29 bucks....hope it fits on my 17 Tuono, lol.

LOL...well of course....just have dreams of metal shaving floating in the oil and locking it up. Yeah I know, I need to get over it, lol.
    Fingers crossed the Chinese fella in flip flops has cleaned up the machining then! Or the Swedish fella in the Ohlins factors has done the same.

With any part like this, the life of it will degrade over time. Next thing for my Crotch Banana is a look at the suspension and see if she needs a refresh to make her perkier and bouncier. The OEM Sachs unit had zero resistance and just squelched when I moved the bars!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast