Thread: Weird Vibration

apriliaforum newb

Weird Vibration

Hi all. So I'm pretty new on this forum and also very new to Aprilia. My last bike was a Panigale 1229s and before that I mainly rode Ducati's, so the Ape has been a great change and I'm absolutly in love with it..... until recently.

I have done the 1000 km serive and since then put another 3000km's on it. 2 weekends ago I noticed a slight vibriation (almost like the Panigale) through all the gears and through the whole rev range. I still get my top speeds, but I feel like there is a loss of power at the bottom and the middle. I thought nothing of it, but then my mate who has the identical bike as mine and with the same amount of milage, swapped with me and reported the same. I never told him about the problem, he just picked it up on his own. I also noticed that his bike was super smooth and when I twisted the throttle in 2nd, 3rd and 4th, it felt like it wanted to wheelie. I've taken it in to the shop and they can't find the issue....yet. They have done a compression test, checked spark plugs and valve clearances, but all is fine. The one theory is that it's the springs in the clutch basket.... but it's a long shot. Also, when I took my bike in to the shop, my mate came with and the mechanic tested both bikes back to back and agress that there is an issue. It's still under warranty, but they have no bikes to give me if this on is stuffed.

Oh, I have an SC Project slip on and so does my mate.

Anyone else have this issue or have a theory? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

apriliaforum expert
    Compare the two bikes on a dyno to see if there is a significant loss of power in your bike.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

apriliaforum Junkie
    I had something similar on my 2011 factory APRC... It turned out to be throttle positions or demand sensor breaking down.. Cant remember which one it was as it went wrong a few times.

apriliaforum newb
    Thats exactly what we are doing in a few days. Good call. Thanks Diablo1

apriliaforum Junkie
    Did you safety wire the flapper valve in the open position when you added the slip-on? If not, the force of the exhaust gasses can shut the valve and choke things up which causes a reduction in power. The spring is pretty strong, so this usually happens in the higher rev range, but maybe its happening in the low end of things too? Worth a look I think.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitney151 View Post
    Did you safety wire the flapper valve in the open position when you added the slip-on? If not, the force of the exhaust gasses can shut the valve and choke things up which causes a reduction in power. The spring is pretty strong, so this usually happens in the higher rev range, but maybe its happening in the low end of things too? Worth a look I think.
    Hi Whitney. I'll have a look at that, but seeing as it was running smoothly even after the slip on and my mate has the same slip on as me, I'm not holding my breath. I hope it is something this simple, cause I really don't want them to open the whole engine and then leave me bikeless over xmas