Thread: Exhaust valve cable - remove or not to remove

apriliaforum newb

Exhaust valve cable - remove or not to remove

Hi, new to this forum and have probably what is a basic question. I've got an RSV4 RF 2017 and I've got an Akrapovic race slip on can on its way. Regarding the exhaust valve cables from the servo unit. If fitting Aprilia Race ECU can I remove the cables for the exhaust valve from the servo unit? I read somewhere that you can remove the cables (will not cause error message on dash) but you need to lock wire the valve open to prevent it closing/partially closing...I thought the exhaust valve is only present in the stock exhaust can and therefore if you remove that then there is no exhaust valve to lock wire open...? I also read that with Race ECU you can remove the entire servo unit. Does this mean you end up with a redundant connector hanging on the bike somewhere? Appreciate advice on the topic. Cheers

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Through the various changes to the RSV4s over the years, the exhaust valve has been in different places. On your 17 it'll come off with the stock muffler and catalytic converter. The race ecu or race map will make it so you can remove the servo, and cables for the exhaust valve without any check engine lights coming on. I removed all of it when I put my Akra on my 17 RF without issues.

apriliaforum Member andyandtherman's Avatar
    I agree with Schaus36. I too have a 17' RF and I put an AR slip on coupled with the race ecu. We removed all of the emissions from that point on with no warnings/codes, etc. It performs far better this way, and also you don't have unnecessary cables hooked up on the bike.
    2017 Aprilia RSV4RF. Austin Racing slip on, race ECU, Graves frame sliders, Competition Werkes rear fender eliminator, Motobox mirror block offs/led signals, gutted emissions, RhinoMoto bar end, Rizoma bar end mirror.

apriliaforum Member Darth Vader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schaus36 View Post
    Through the various changes to the RSV4s over the years, the exhaust valve has been in different places. On your 17 it'll come off with the stock muffler and catalytic converter. The race ecu or race map will make it so you can remove the servo, and cables for the exhaust valve without any check engine lights coming on. I removed all of it when I put my Akra on my 17 RF without issues.
    +1
    Removing cables and accutator along with the canister can help engine to run a bit cooler because both parts are reducing air flow a bit...
    Cables can be removed easily without of lifting the fuel tank... only one cable tie very close to the thermostat can make some problems...

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Took mine out. Just don't mess with the servo and you should be OK.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by schaus36 View Post
    Thanks schaus36 this makes sense and looking at the exhaust valve cables they connect to the standard exhaust can so looks like it could be straightforward. Cheers

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks andyandtherman. Sounds like a sweet set up!

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the tip.

apriliaforum prov-nov Makers_Mike's Avatar
    '17 RSV4 RF. I removed the cable like others have said after installing race ECU and SC Project can. It was a little bit of a pain on the servo side to get the cables out, but just be patient. Like others have mentioned, one cable tie that can be located feeling around under the frame, which I snipped. The other parts holding the cables on are some snaps that keep them held together. These all call off pretty easily. Only body part that needed to be removed was the right side fairing to get to the servo.

apriliaforum Member andyandtherman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SolivG View Post
    Thanks andyandtherman. Sounds like a sweet set up!
    Sure thing. My set up was partly mandated by my overheating issues I had when I first got the bike as I live in a hot and congested climate. It runs a million times cooler and better now.
    2017 Aprilia RSV4RF. Austin Racing slip on, race ECU, Graves frame sliders, Competition Werkes rear fender eliminator, Motobox mirror block offs/led signals, gutted emissions, RhinoMoto bar end, Rizoma bar end mirror.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Glad I could help. Enjoy!

apriliaforum newb
    Is it possible to install a slip on exhaust or full header system with exhaust/ race ecu and retain the exhaust servo for nose control?

apriliaforum expert
    You can install a slip-on on 2016 and earlier models with the exhaust flap as the flap is situated in the headers.
    On 2017 the exhaust flap is inside the silencer.