Thread: shiver with adjustable forks? Forks swap done?

apriliaforum prov-nov

shiver with adjustable forks? Forks swap done?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB7B4775-8D1B-4CF9-AAFE-DC0AA220135D.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	491.9 KB 
ID:	347364
    Just realized that my Shiver forks have adjustments. They must be from some other aprilia?? One has dampening and other compression. Length is 765mm and they are showa brand. Not sure what is original shiver fork lenght?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Are they not Andreani cartridges?

The V60 Tuono forks are a common swap, but are almost an inch shorter, and the brake caliper bolt pitch is slightly larger, so you'd need proper Brembo calipers off a Tuono as well. If your calipers say Aprilia, then I'd say they're the standard forks, perhaps poached from a different year bike so as to be able to accept the cartridges.

If they are the standard fork legs, then they could probably stand to be raised in the clamps by a couple of lines to restore the geometry intended by design. That would give a neutral steering feel, instead of the aggressively corrective steering (you turn in, it tries to stand up) you get with the additional rake and trail caused by the forks being fitted flush like that.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by IndelibleInk View Post
    Are they not Andreani cartridges?

The V60 Tuono forks are a common swap, but are almost an inch shorter, and the brake caliper bolt pitch is slightly larger, so you'd need proper Brembo calipers off a Tuono as well. If your calipers say Aprilia, then I'd say they're the standard forks, perhaps poached from a different year bike so as to be able to accept the cartridges.
    Yes, they do say aprilia.
    I also start to think they are that Andreani as haven't found any other that mach the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndelibleInk View Post

If they are the standard fork legs, then they could probably stand to be raised in the clamps by a couple of lines to restore the geometry intended by design. That would give a neutral steering feel, instead of the aggressively corrective steering (you turn in, it tries to stand up) you get with the additional rake and trail caused by the forks being fitted flush like that.
    Would this explain why bike feels so bad in cornering? it just don't want to corner at all!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    When I moved my forks in the clamps, it made it much more enjoyable to ride in the corners - it would track a line perfectly and stay exactly where you left it. Before, with the fork tops flush with the clamps, it would wobble through a corner, constantly fighting itself and trying to stand up, requiring lots of corrective input. Tyres and gearing changes (or chain "stretch") affect geometry, too.

The other thing that made a large difference was using thicker oil in the rebound leg, but with the cartridges in yours, you should be covered after a good setup.

If you do a search, you should be able to come across plenty of opinion about fork height.
    E.g.: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...For-Forks-Sake!!

It seems to me that the bike was always meant to have 2 lines showing above the clamp, but somehow lots have ended up flush. If you have lowered the rear in any way (shorter shock, lowering link etc.) then you will need more than 2 lines showing to restore the geometry - beware of clearance issues.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK