Thread: RF Valve Clearance questions

apriliaforum newb

RF Valve Clearance questions

Hi all, bit new to all this so be gentle !

Winter is here so I thought it would be the perfect time to check the valve clearances on my 2016, 2500 mile RF. I did not think they would be out of tolerance but have been reading threads on here which suggest it is a good idea, I was surprised and a bit disappointed to find some are out !.

I have a couple of questions which would be great if people could advise.

Question 1. I took off the motor that raises and lowers the inlet velocity stacks (didn't realise that I did not need to) Will it be ok and work, or is there timing involved in reassembly?. (hope I have been clear and used the correct terms).

Question 2. I have so far only checked the rear cylinders and 3 of the 8 valves are just out of spec so will need attention. What are peoples thoughts on buying the valve adjustment tools VS getting the dealer to do it?

I am competent mechanic and intend to keep the RF for years, be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks.

variable stacks motor has a polarity, as far as i remember it should be marked + and -
    anyway, at first key-on after the valve check just have a look to what the stacks turret do, it has to stay down, not rising up. if it rise, you fitted the motor cap reversed
    ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    www.gabroracingteam.it

Visit my FB page and like it!
    https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam

Question 1. I took off the motor that raises and lowers the inlet velocity stacks (didn't realise that I did not need to) Will it be ok and work, or is there timing involved in reassembly?. (hope I have been clear and used the correct terms).

Question 2. I have so far only checked the rear cylinders and 3 of the 8 valves are just out of spec so will need attention. What are peoples thoughts on buying the valve adjustment tools VS getting the dealer to do it?
    1: yep it has a polarity, the Workshop manual gives you its orientation. Read the manual.

2: the only tool you need to buy is the cam gear holding tool, the rest can be easily fabricated.

read this everything you need to know > http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...lemental-Guide
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    variable stacks motor has a polarity, as far as i remember it should be marked + and -
    anyway, at first key-on after the valve check just have a look to what the stacks turret do, it has to stay down, not rising up. if it rise, you fitted the motor cap reversed
    That is great info, thank you very much !!

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you so much for your advice, I will read the manual for the polarity and I will buy the cam gear holding tool. I thought the rest were just elaborate round bar with knobs !! Thanks again.

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    1: yep it has a polarity, the Workshop manual gives you its orientation. Read the manual.

2: the only tool you need to buy is the cam gear holding tool, the rest can be easily fabricated.

read this everything you need to know > http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...lemental-Guide

As many peeps on here think, good on you for checking clearances before the scheduled mileage. I don't really have the ability to do the clearances on this motor, myself. If you're not a long way from a dealer, as the bike is newish and in warranty, it must be a better idea to get the dealer to do it. It could be very expensive if you don't do it right, and you would have no comeback. Consider paying for the job until doing it yourself later on in ownership. I would see it as an investment. Are they coming out of the factory like this, people? After clearances have been done once, quite a few say they settle down.

apriliaforum expert
    After 2500 miles do you think they come out of the factory like this?

apriliaforum expert
    Also,how long would it take approx for a competent,mechanic who is rsv4 competent to CHECK the valve clearances?
    My newly born RF may need a check after hearing this type of news.
    Its really unfortunate this is still happening.

apriliaforum Member johnnyjellybean's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyrsv4rf View Post
    Hi all, bit new to all this so be gentle !

I was surprised and a bit disappointed to find some are out !.

Many thanks.
    My question is ... what do you call "just out of spec" Also .... which valves were they are were they too loose or too tight?
    My opinion is, if you are a competent mechanic, and plan on keeping the bike a long time, learn the bike and buy the tools. No one will ever care for your bike the way you will.
    2013 Tuono V4
    2011 Ducati Monster 796 modded
    2007 Harley Streetbob 120RWHP/120RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by murphc13 View Post
    After 2500 miles do you think they come out of the factory like this?
    Maybe some do, certainly not all of them.
    Mine were all in spec when checked at 5,000 km & 10,500 km.

Quote Originally Posted by murphc13 View Post
    Also,how long would it take approx for a competent,mechanic who is rsv4 competent to CHECK the valve clearances?
    ~4 hrs to check both banks, add ~1 hour per bank if any need adjustment, then add the time it takes to change oil & filter while adjustment is performed..

For the first timers; add another day or more for the time it takes to work out what needs to be removed to get to the valve check & for the modification & fabrication of tools to do the job.
    A lot of this can be worked out prior by reading the thread I posted in post #3.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    For the first timers; add another day or more
    Or a half year in some cases