Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave Moss Suspension Seminar - TV4F - Best thing I ever did

apriliaforum prov-nov

Dave Moss Suspension Seminar - TV4F - Best thing I ever did

In the 2 years ive owned my 2016 TV4F ive no end of dramas trying to get the suspension sorted. From right out of the crate it rode like a recliner, wallowing back and forth, sloppy and generally not what I paid for. Over the next 2 years id made progressive changes to the bike but none were definitive in actually making this bike the bike that everyone raves about and the bike magazines rate as "the best road bike 5 years running". I was super pissed off.

Years ago i sent an email to Dave Moss asking for his advice on how to setup my GSXR. Within 48hours I had a reply! Very busy guy, but not too busy to share his knowledge and insight.

Here I am years later with the TV4F and im emailing him asking for his help again. He tells me he's scheduled to come to Australia for suspension seminars, and if i was interested in doing the organising he would come up and hold seminars in our home town. Now, where I live there is no race track. No premium dealerships or massive metropolis, just a very healthy culture of road canyon riding (if you're up the front you would call it racing). With the leg work underway, facebook event posted and general shit talk over breakfast we had it sorted and Dave was booked! 6 months later he arrives with tools in hand and ready to go to work.

Over 4 days Dave hosted a beginner's seminar, advanced road riding seminar, race seminar and ride day tuning. To say he knocked it out of the park is an absolute understatement. Everyday we had people learn about their bike and come away with the knowledge of not only what everything does, but how it should feel - and most importantly how you can pay it forward to help others. We had 10 very experienced road riders attend the suspension ride day where Dave made incremental changes to their setup to refine and improve and every single rider came away with a better ride. These are guys who are the front pack runners who've been riding these roads for a very long time and every single one had their bike improved and problems solved.

I worked closely with Dave over the 4 days and saw how much information he is willing to give to people to help them improve their bike, and it really makes a significant improvement. My bike went from a recliner, to an aggressive over nervous and twitchy piece of shit that would try to fall over in corners and run wide on exit, to the most beautiful thing ive ever ridden. I saw Dave sit down for hours a day, answering emails personally from people all around the world just to help their bike ride better and safer.

The conclusion to this story. I had friends who have been racing these roads for 20 years come away with a better bike. My bike now is the most amazing thing to ride and ive the tools to help others because i know now what everything does and what it should do. No second hand, passed down through chinese whispers version of what suspension does but a real world experience of test, feedback, test, feedback, test until it all came together. If Dave is ever anywhere near where you are, go see him. If he's hosting seminars, do them all. If you're interested in doing the same and have him come visit you, drop him an email. This is a guy that's traveled to Istanbul for 1 day just to help people, that then turned into a 10 day, Government backed event because of the quality of his work.

Sorry for the long rant, but I can finally put this to rest, and just ride my bike. Thanks Dave!

apriliaforum newb
    When I got my Tuono factory earlier this year, the first thing I did was message Dave on Facebook. His replies are always within 24 hrs and very detailed. He gave me settings to try and I sent feedback about 3 times. Absolutely incredible difference. Left him a donation to his site and cause, and he continues to answer any questions I have. Great Guy.

Dave Moss Suspension Seminar - TV4F - Best thing I ever did

He has subscription service to his full videos on YouTube as well. He sorted my bike in 3 sessions at Thunderhill in April 2016. Cost was 20 dollars. Based on the track setup he gave me a road setup that I have used since. Good dude, very knowledgeable and helpful. He even let the guy I was with at the track day borrow a generator for his warmers.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I wish I’d known he was in Australia.
    Not saying I would have made it, but I would have tried.

How do I keep an eye out for future visits?
    (I’m hardly ever on Facebook. I know it’s the future, but I’m not a fan, and struggle to find stuff on it to be honest.)

apriliaforum prov-nov tristo990's Avatar
    Did course last year. Very good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dave is great, he has set up every bike I own.
    Current rides:

2017 Tuono Factory
    2016 Superduke 1290R
    2015 BMW S1000R

apriliaforum newb
    Working with him to come help me to set up my 17 and my old race bike.
    Did you guys do a group photo?! I saw a post I think I responded to on fb. There was a I think a 16 Tuono factory in a line up of students.

apriliaforum Junkie oldbluechair09's Avatar
    I'm definitely going to have to look into this. My 13 is terrible the way it was delivered. I don't have the knowledge to fiddle with it so I don't try. I don't reach for the keys as much because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC Matte Black
    2013 Triumph Daytona 675R

Quote Originally Posted by oldbluechair09 View Post
    I'm definitely going to have to look into this. My 13 is terrible the way it was delivered. I don't have the knowledge to fiddle with it so I don't try. I don't reach for the keys as much because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Knowledge is easy to aquire, start with Dave Moss videos there is a ton of stuff out there. Providing that your suspension does not need rebuilds etc then adjusting it is well within the capabilities of any one, tools are minimal and common except maybe the C spanners for the rear preload. Take the plunge, you won't regret it and those keys will very soon be where they ought to be.
    The Third Law of Human Dynamics: For every opportunity to communicate there is an equal and opposite opportunity to misunderstand

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Dave came to Perth Australia last year and set up my 16tf, same result. Just chalk and cheese. Went from soft on the front to balanced and a joy to ride.
    Learner a bucket load of suspension stuff.
    Thanks Dave!

apriliaforum newb
    Why don’t we start some stickies for each model year where people can share their riding weights and suspension settings? I’ve been watching Dave’s videos and I’m ready to take the tuning plunge with my new 17 Factory, but it’d be very helpful to see what settings someone of a similar weight is using—particularly if setup by Dave himself. Doing it for each model year is important because it seems like Aprilia often tweaks the suspension hardware year-to-year. If this has already been done, sorry, I’m new here.

Quote Originally Posted by bullmrkt View Post
    Why donít we start some stickies for each model year where people can share their riding weights and suspension settings? Iíve been watching Daveís videos and Iím ready to take the tuning plunge with my new 17 Factory, but itíd be very helpful to see what settings someone of a similar weight is usingóparticularly if setup by Dave himself. Doing it for each model year is important because it seems like Aprilia often tweaks the suspension hardware year-to-year. If this has already been done, sorry, Iím new here.
    You're right !
    These are Dave Moss settings found on the web, my Tuono is a 1100 RR 2016, my weight 108kg :
    Front
    preload 7 turns out,
    comp 10 clicks out,
    rebound 6 clicks out,
    2cm through clamps.

Rear
    1.3cm thread showing,
    1 turn out comp,
    9 clicks out rebound.

Perfect for me.
    "Qui boit sans soif vomira sans effort"

apriliaforum Member clutchNthrottle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike06 View Post
    You're right !
    These are Dave Moss settings found on the web, my Tuono is a 1100 RR 2016, my weight 108kg :
    Front
    preload 7 turns out,
    comp 10 clicks out,
    rebound 6 clicks out,
    2cm through clamps.

Rear
    1.3cm thread showing,
    1 turn out comp,
    9 clicks out rebound.

Perfect for me.
    Really? You're 108kg on '16 RR with stock fork springs and 7 turns out on preload? Just curious what are your sag measurements?
    2017 Tuono RR

Quote Originally Posted by clutchNthrottle View Post
    Really? You're 108kg on '16 RR with stock fork springs and 7 turns out on preload? Just curious what are your sag measurements?
    26mm of sag bike alone and 42mm with my fat ass on it.
    "Qui boit sans soif vomira sans effort"

apriliaforum prov-nov Lost Down Under's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    I wish I’d known he was in Australia.
    Not saying I would have made it, but I would have tried.

How do I keep an eye out for future visits?
    (I’m hardly ever on Facebook. I know it’s the future, but I’m not a fan, and struggle to find stuff on it to be honest.)
    +1.Where are you based Mikey666?
    If it's not upside down, you're not trying hard enough!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast