Thread: Converting from Throttle by Wire?

apriliaforum newb TheMadAsshatter's Avatar

Converting from Throttle by Wire?

Has anyone on here ever tried to convert their Shiver/Dorso to use a traditional cable throttle as opposed to throttle by wire? I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty bad with vehicle electronics and really don't want to deal with the associated problems of deteriorating wiring components, software issues, and all that other crap, and I don't want to run the risk of jacking it up with Guzzidiag. And, besides that, I just kinda hate the idea of me not having direct control over the throttle.

No I guess is a good answer the control unit I believe as a 4 potentiometers in it, turn the throttle and they send a signal to the sevo's on the throttle bodies and magic stuff happens.

You'd have to fabricate a mechanical linkage between the throttle body butterflies and then make sure the TPS voltages still played nice with each other and the ECU, from idle to WOT.

You'd also lose the tri-map feature.

Probably easier and less expensive to replace stock parts if they ever fail.
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, FatDuc, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO on order...

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    I bet you could use the type of linkage found on multi carb engines to link the throttle bodies, then hook up a cable to a traditional throttle handle.

You would lose the throttle sensitivity function of the tri-map, but you could retain the power level difference in Rain mode (assuming that is fueling related and not simply throttle body position controlled). You would probably have extra crap bolted on the handlebars, though, since you would need that switch housing, plus the cable housing on the new throttle.

Rule62's point about TPS voltages would be my biggest concern. If the throttle by wire system tells the fuel injection how it needs to operate, fueling could go haywire without that component.

In short, if throttle by wire was that unwanted, I would get a different bike. I am not a huge fan of the idea myself, but am willing to live with it. I make it a habit to always shut off the bike using the thumb switch so I know it is functioning in the event something goes out of control. I can always pull the clutch to disengage the motor as well. The most dangerous situation throttle by wire could create is lack of throttle when jumping out in traffic.
    2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

Another thing is that the TB butterflies are hooked up to servos on the sides of the TB's. You'd have to crack the servos open and find a way to weld/attach whatever type of mechanical linkage you use, to the actual butterfly pivots.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, FatDuc, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO on order...

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Yeah, it would be much easier to replace the TBs and the ECU / clocks as well.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum newb TheMadAsshatter's Avatar
    Mmm. So, probably more hassle than it's worth. I was mostly just curious.

I have only heard of two units to go in 8 years ,they are pretty robust water kills most electrics with corrosion.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I'm all for a bit of experimentation. It is theoretically possible to have a proper master / slave servo operation with (almost) 1-to-1 response, but coding that onto the existing ECU, or rather stripping out the other code that interferes, would be a bit of a job as well.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK