Thread: Hard Clunk from Neutral into First Gear

apriliaforum newb

Hard Clunk from Neutral into First Gear

2015 Shiver with 3,000 miles on it. When brand new, I noticed a hard clunk into first gear when the bike is stopped. I figured this would get better with a few miles, but it hasn't improved. Once in gear, the clutch does not seem to be dragging, as I can move the bike backwards easily. This does not seem to get better as the bike gets to normal operating temp. I also figured the relatively high 1,400 RPM idle speed contributed, but I see no way to slow the idle speed down to a more normal 1,000 RPM. I am using ENI I-Ride oil, 15W-50, just like the good book says. Has anyone tried 10W-40? Why we need 50W oil in a water cooled motor I don't understand.

I read the other posts about broken clutch springs and master cylinder diameters, but I would think that by 2015 these issues would be resolved. Is it possible that the clutch springs are broken from day one?

I don't remember ever riding any motorcycle that didn't clunk when I kicked it into gear.

I have the same year as yours and I will admit that the clunk is pretty heavy compared to other bikes I've owned, but I've had no problems with the transmission.

I'm at 13,000 miles.
    You don't need to earn my respect.
    I give it freely.
    Whether or not you keep it is entirely up to you.

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    My 2009 does it too. I think it does it more when the chain is too loose. I noticed it the other day, but haven't bothered to adjust the chain since the next time I touch it will be to swap wheels.
    2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

apriliaforum Member markjanemhan's Avatar
    After my FZ09, I was pleasantly surprised at the relative lack of clunk going from neutral to first on the Shiver! It all depends what you're used to. If the clutch doesn't seem to be dragging once in gear, and the clutch adjustment is normal, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Maybe try a different brand of oil next change, which can make a slight difference.
    2016 Shiver 750 - Motocorsaro 02 Optimizer; R&G Racing Tail Tidy

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Mine's clunky, too. Holding the clutch in for a while before engaging the gear can help as the gearbox input shaft slows down a touch.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum newb
    Well, thank you for the confirmation that all is well. My last 2 bikes had dry clutches, and therefore had greatly reduced clunk. (84 R65LS BMW and 96 Sport 1100 Moto Guzzi)
    Has anyone tried lower viscosity motor oil? Even air cooled Japanese bikes used 10W-40. Just an idea.

apriliaforum newb
    I would be more worried if my motorbike didn't go clunk when engaging first gear!
    Tony Doms, Tauranga, New Zealand
    2016 Aprilia Shiver ABS - Black

apriliaforum Member Wilberforce's Avatar
    I find that holding the clutch in for a few seconds before engaging first gear eases the clunk.
    One of the Boys from the Wall

apriliaforum expert
    a high idle will cause a bigger clunk. not sure how to adjust that sorry
    Don't be a jerk... jerk

2016 KTM 250 xc
    2013 KTM 350 xcf ---------------SOLD
    2011 Husqvarna 630 ------------SOLD
    2007 KTM Superduke 990-------SOLD
    2009 Dorsoduro 750
    2003 KLX 400R
    2009 YZ450 -----------------------SOLD
    2007 ZZR600 ----------------------SOLD
    2006 CBR600RR ------------------SOLD
    2009 Ninja 250 -------------------SOLD

https://youtu.be/sAsWiiHjLsg

At 2:18 the clunk is explained.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, FatDuc, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO on order...

Quote Originally Posted by Wilberforce View Post
    I find that holding the clutch in for a few seconds before engaging first gear eases the clunk.
    I found that worked noticeably well with my Honda Hornet, previous to my Shiver. It did not work the same at all for the Shiver, but the clunk was much less than the Honda in the first place so it was never really an issue on mine.

apriliaforum Member Wilberforce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MARTCO78 View Post
    I found that worked noticeably well with my Honda Hornet, previous to my Shiver. It did not work the same at all for the Shiver, but the clunk was much less than the Honda in the first place so it was never really an issue on mine.
    But aren't all Jap bikes like that? I think that holding the clutch in for a few seconds means it slows the spinning down and eases the clunk. I may also be talking s4ite as well, just my impressions.
    One of the Boys from the Wall