Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you spot some original style crash bars ...

apriliaforum Member

If you spot some original style crash bars ...

... can you let me know, I'm on the look out. I don't want the ones that come up proud of the bodywork at the front (Hepco & Becker?), the ones I'm after are original April stylee.
    Ta

Have you tried contacting wiko stepowy the bloke that does the copy sump gaurd I seem to remember he did them

apriliaforum Member
    2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, 2002 Aprilia Caponord, 1983 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III (sold), 1983 Yamaha 650 Turbo (sold), 1972 Honda CB750 (sold), 1981 Moto Guzzi V50 III (totaled), several Vespas and one Lambretta

apriliaforum Member
    Thanks both. I have these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crash123_1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	347162

but want these:
    Name:  crashbarsl_320x193.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  26.7 KB

apriliaforum Member
    Just the job! Will order when back home in 2 days.
    Thanks

I have OEM crash bars, but they have one massive weakness - crossbar next to the cooler. It's made with plasticine. After my last minicrash crossbar didn't hold up, stopped at the cooler and damaged the fairing. It needs to be strengthened somehow.
    Last edited by skvrnsk; 11-29-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skvrnsk View Post
    I have OEM crash bars, but they have one massive weakness - crossbar next to the cooler. It's made with plasticine. After my last minicrash crossbar didn't hold up, stopped at the cooler and damaged the fairing. It needs to be strengthened somehow.
    I don't remember any non-steel product in the OEM bars?? The lower mounting tabs do bend on a drop - as my first set experienced (thanks to the dealer) and heat and vice to straighten is required (I still have the old set).

One thing for sure is the radiator mounting tabs where they meet the crossbar are poorly done. Even new in box the welds are poor. One of mine simply broke off from normal riding and vibration.

I cleaned mine up for welding - went to local muffler shop at lunch and had a guy weld it back on. I think I paid 10 bucks. You don't want that piece too stiff or it will transfer a drop to the frame. The bars need to take an absorbent load IMHO.

Luckily I have not had to test them out.
    06' Caponord

I have a set sitting in the garage, bit scratched up, but easily repaired. Only issue, will be postage.

In fact I have a pile of Capo stuff if anyone is interested.

Mods (so far): Aprilia Rally Raid bars, bar clamp, seat, rear shock absorber, suspension link, front guard, headlight stone guard and lower chain guard. Replica RR sump guard. Leo Vince exhaust, Catfish Mapping. Mk2 Top fairing, painted to match. MG hand guards. Aprilia Dorso indicators. Honda CBR600 Reg. Autocom Intercom. Aux fuse block. H&B side racks. Trax Evo panniers. Tourfella top box Palmer aux bracket. BMW GPS quick release mount. Cyclops LED spot lights. Anakee 2 Tyres. And probably something else I can't think of right now!

http://capoandrew.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by goldencapo View Post
    Just the job! Will order when back home in 2 days.
    Thanks
    After you get them, please post pictures and your opinion of them. The price is definitely attractive,

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
    One thing for sure is the radiator mounting tabs where they meet the crossbar are poorly done. Even new in box the welds are poor. One of mine simply broke off from normal riding and vibration.
    Same thing here. I already welded it once, but I can bend the handles with bare hands. Same thing with the bend at the both ends. It just need to be strengthened.
    I was thinking about something like this.
    Name:  2011-08-12 15.56.32.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  215.9 KB

PS. why not Hepco&Becker. What's wrong with them. I would like to see that full cage on my Capo.

Same thing here. I already welded it once, but I can bend the handles with bare hands. Same thing with the bend at the both ends. It just need to be strengthened.
    I was thinking about something like this.
    Name:  2011-08-12 15.56.32.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  215.9 KB

PS. why not Hepco&Becker. What's wrong with them. I would like to see that full cage on my Capo.
    Yea - the issue is making those points stiff "may" transfer the force of any drop to the lower part of the frame neck and that's a place I don't want to go. I would rather break and re-weld a tab than deal with a bigger issue.
    06' Caponord

I can't imagine how this could damage the frame. Crossbar is attached to the frame with just two small screws which possibly can't stand heavy strike and frame itself is super thick in that place. And it's not like the modified crossbar will be unbreakable, it's going to break under heavy impact anyway and such modifications wont stop it. Now it's bending like a straw just by dropping the bike with almost zero speed.
    Well, there's only one way to find out what's gonna happen
    Last edited by skvrnsk; 12-01-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Well, there's only one way to find out what's gonna happen
    That's the spirit.
    2002 Capo Wilbers rear shock, Wilbers front progressive springs, Metal fuel connectors, polaris sh775 series regulator direct wired, silicone vacuum lines, catfish map, CNC clutch slave, autoelectrics coils (2)sides, Triumph Denso 3990's centers, k&n air filter, all LED lighting, SS brake and clutch lines, Givi tall screen, Triumph tiger 955i mirrors, dual horns. Pure copper 4 gauge battery cables. Rox risers.

apriliaforum Member
    Why not the H&Bs? I just want to slim things down a little and reduce any of the turbulence that comes off the upper horizontal tube. It sits higher than the slope-up side panels and, coupled with the after-market lights that were on it, disrupts the airflow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast