Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Caponord 1200 Rally - Front Cylinder Timing Gear

apriliaforum Junkie Darth Vader's Avatar
    English is not my first language, so editing is necessary when I see that I did write something wrong way or it can be missunderstood.. sorry...
    Removing the tank is easy after disconecting fuel pump power supply and fuel line...it is than possible to rise rear of the fuel tank and slide it back...saying that just to cut unnecessary work...
    Moving engine in the frame is neccesary, at least all of bikes I had on the bench nedeed that... I will gladly accept that someone succeed to change rear timing gear pin without of that hassle .... in this very case I would like to see acctual photo of it.. not a photo of the pin half way out ready to hit the frame...

In and case every single Capo or Dorso or Shiver owner can easily check what I am saying by looking at the pin on the rear head... I will post a photo where to look..

And I do not like to be called idiot from unknown people when I am trying to help...

Some evidences
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171223_152213.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	490.3 KB 
ID:	348389  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171223_154134.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	505.8 KB 
ID:	348385  

Name:	20171223_152234.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	504.1 KB 
ID:	348388  

Name:	20171223_153919.jpg 
Size:	522.6 KB 
ID:	348387  

Name:	20171223_153925.jpg 
Size:	525.1 KB 
ID:	348386  

Name:	20171223_152025.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	500.1 KB 
ID:	348390  

Name:	20171223_145407.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	535.8 KB 
ID:	348391  

Name:	20171223_151709.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	508.3 KB 
ID:	348392  

To avoid editing of the previous post

This had pissed me of so I went to the workshop and I check all V2 apes we have there...
    I have checked Shiver first gen with golden frame, Shiver 2014' Capo 2013, Dorso 900 and Shiver 900...

It is clearly visible from the photos that frame is on the way of the pin, somewhere more somewhere less... There is photo of the pin ( I had to dig very deep in warranty bin to find one) which shows how much you have to unscrew pin out before you actually can angle it and remove it, or just pull out if there is nothing on its way... .. BTW you can not angle it too much...
    Thread on the pin itself is longer than clearence in between cylinder head and frame, it is approx 11 mm... and there is a 5 mm of extra shank.

Also there are photos which are showing that clearence in between frame and head are in between 6 and 8 mm....so no room for undo the pin...

And there is a photo of 2 pieces timing tool which is attaching on the crankshaft instead of the rotor and screwing on the crankcase...

When I had to do that job for a very first time I had been adviced that there is another way to remove pin without of lifting or removing the engine, but I think that it is more demading and time consuming.. .. Removing the part of the frame...

However, if someone can show, not just say, that is possible without of hassle with lifting the engine I will appreciate it very much.. That will save me some time in the future..
    Cheers

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    English is not my first language, so editing is necessary when I see that I did write something wrong way or it can be missunderstood.. sorry...
    Removing the tank is easy after disconecting fuel pump power supply and fuel line...it is than possible to rise rear of the fuel tank and slide it back...saying that just to cut unnecessary work...
    Moving engine in the frame is neccesary, at least all of bikes I had on the bench nedeed that... I will gladly accept that someone succeed to change rear timing gear pin without of that hassle .... in this very case I would like to see acctual photo of it.. not a photo of the pin half way out ready to hit the frame...

In and case every single Capo or Dorso or Shiver owner can easily check what I am saying by looking at the pin on the rear head... I will post a photo where to look..

And I do not like to be called idiot from unknown people when I am trying to help...
    Doesn't it really matter though? Takes only a min or two to loosen the clamp for the bars and tilt them forward. Not sure why this is such a big deal in this thread lol

You work at Parramatta?

Quote Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
    Doesn't it really matter though? Takes only a min or two to loosen the clamp for the bars and tilt them forward. Not sure why this is such a big deal in this thread lol

You work at Parramatta?
    For me personaly loosing the handlebar is not a big deal at all... I did point at that as a one of minor misleadings which has been written there.... at the end that my point had triggered some heavy ugly words which brought all of this...

We had discuss my workplace several months ago through PM... Couldnt you recall?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    For me personaly loosing the handlebar is not a big deal at all... I did point at that as a one of minor misleadings which has been written there.... at the end that my point had triggered some heavy ugly words which brought all of this...

We had discuss my workplace several months ago through PM... Couldnt you recall?
    Yes I do remember but couldn't find the message so just double checking

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
    Yes I do remember but couldn't find the message so just double checking
    As I recall, my rally did not have to have the engine loosened or jacked up to remove the shaft (pin). Did have to loosen the bars even tho we removed the fuel lines from tank in order to remove the tank.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

My cent... I've removed the tank only one time at home. I didn't lose the bars for this operation. :-)
    P.S. sorry for my bad English!!

Aprilia Caponord 1200 Rosso Formula
    Aprilia Rst Futura '02
    Aprilia Caponord RR '04 "Gundam" o "Biscottone".
    Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650 '01 "La piccola".

apriliaforum prov-nov
    They finally got all the parts in for my Capo 2016 with 4000 klms. They will do both front and back pins and the head tech at my shop said he does not have to remove entire engine but loosen frame/engine mounting points and jack up the engine.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    and THANK YOU both for all the great photos, and Merry Christmas to all!!!!

Hello, ppl!

Am I in the club???

Name:  RECALL.png
Views: 232
Size:  54.1 KB

A Different Part

Hi Funtik, that recall is probably for the engine's countershaft (drive output) sprocket. There were problems with retaining hardware so it could come loose. Anyway, greetings from a "Sputnik Baby" in California!

This may seem like a ridiculous question but, I am looking at purchasing a new 2017 Rally, is it safe to assume that this problem with the gear bearings will not happen as it should have the updated newer parts ?

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrz View Post
    This may seem like a ridiculous question but, I am looking at purchasing a new 2017 Rally, is it safe to assume that this problem with the gear bearings will not happen as it should have the updated newer parts ?
    I would not assume that the machine has updated cam drive gears. This problem is pretty random and I'm not sure Aprilia has any clue how many soft bushings were supplied by their vendor. The problem pops up early with excessive engine noise. My unit was very noisy after only 400 miles. The good news is that Aprilia knows what the problem is and as far as I know has never refused to repair the problem under warranty. At the worst if the machine develops the noise you would only be out the time it takes the dealer to fix it. To me a small penalty to pay compared to the overall excellent quality of the motorcycle.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

apriliaforum prov-nov
    good luck, muy bike is still noise (both gears changed), i'm not sure if its the normal sound now, or its another broken thing... I do not recommend buying this model at least.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast