Thread: Centerstand rolled right off the bike....

apriliaforum Member

Centerstand rolled right off the bike....

Happen to anyone here?

Putting Capo onto its center stand in my garage, I pulled it up and back, standing on the tang as usual, and the stand folded forward and fell off the bosses and then off the bike entirely. I barely caught the Capo before she fell over into the wall.

Hmm. How to put the stand back on, now that I don't have a center stand to hold the bike while I work on it.......?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, 2002 Aprilia Caponord, 1983 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III (sold), 1983 Yamaha 650 Turbo (sold), 1972 Honda CB750 (sold), 1981 Moto Guzzi V50 III (totaled), several Vespas and one Lambretta

Sitting on a park bench. Eyeing little girls with bad intent. Channeling Jethro Tull.
    Looks like you need a rear stand. Or some kind of kluge.
    Unless you can manage to put it back on with bike on side stand.
    My Tuono suits me to a "T".
    Thunder!

Lean the bike against the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_O View Post
    Lean the bike against the wall.
    A+ - it's been so long since I installed my stand I don't remember the how - but the installation diagrams are out here somewhere.

How can that stand fall forward? there is a great big tang on the left side that rests on the base when up. I cannot see how that happened unless everything was sloppy loose?
    06' Caponord

Quote Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
    A+ - it's been so long since I installed my stand I don't remember the how - but the installation diagrams are out here somewhere.

How can that stand fall forward? there is a great big tang on the left side that rests on the base when up. I cannot see how that happened unless everything was sloppy loose?
    Right. There's something else going on here. The bosses are on brackets mounted to the frame. They extend through the large holes in the stand and are retained by washers and snap rings. Even if the snap rings were missing, the stand couldn't slide far enough to the right to disengage from the bosses, unless the left exhaust pipe was pushed out of position.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stand.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	347227
    Last edited by Stu_O; 11-30-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_O View Post
    Right. There's something else going on here. The bosses are on brackets mounted to the frame. They extend through the large holes in the stand and are retained by washers and snap rings. Even if the snap rings were missing, the stand couldn't slide far enough to the right to disengage from the bosses, unless the left exhaust pipe was pushed out of position.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stand.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	347227
    Thanks for posting that up. I stuck by head up under my capo - if only for a moment before I posted my earlier.

So if you look in the lower image where the #3 lines are - right where the right hand line coming from #3 meets the stand there is a triangle (then between the #3 lines). That triangle tab sits on the boss when the stand is extended. That's the part I can't see failing and it would have to if the stand was to go forward. UNLESS the boss that triangle tab sits on is worn, fractured/split OR if the complete stand mounting was loose It possible the stand tab slipped through the mounting bracket #2 and the boss - that's probably going to require a 10-15mm loose gap.

I do recall having to tighten up the side-stand plate more than once before I lock-tite'd the thing. One thing fore sure, plenty of road gunk under there. Good opportunity for a good cleaning. JB let us know how you get on with the job and what you find. Could be an issue if in town on a laden capo - could end up on a ghost ride...
    06' Caponord

apriliaforum prov-nov
    maybe just simply a nut or two coming off a bolt?

apriliaforum expert ScatmanJack's Avatar
    I had a problem similar to that a number of years ago. One of the metal posts that the main stand pivots on, sheared, and my mechanic had to weld it back in place !!

Put the bike on it's side, with plenty of cushions / mattresses or similar to support it and to prevent damage or scratching, degrease everything so you can actually see wot's going on. Because the only way that the stand can come off, is if something broke or came loose (which doesn't happen overnight)
    "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !!" Toby Keith

1982 Honda CBX 1000, Needs a big hug and a lot of TLC !
    1998 Honda VFR800 F1, Long gone to a new home.
    2003 Yamaha FJR 1300 , a turbine on 2 wheels !!
    2004 BMW K1200s The Proverbial Rocket Ship, gone into orbit !!
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 1000, My 1st introduction to VTwin's
    2006 Honda Pan European, only bought and sold to make a few quid !!
    2008 Suzuki Vstrom 1000, A great all rounder, now gone on it's holiday's and residing in the sunny Algarve !!
    2004 Caponord, My Future is Orange, now hear the Lion roar !!
    2005 Pegaso Strada, My latest Pony to arrive in the Stable !!
    www.bikevisireland.ie

apriliaforum Member
    The stand looks tweaked, the two mounting holes are not exactly in line anymore.

I think the problem developed over time: as I used the center stand on my uneven garage floor, one side carried more weight that the other, and that gradually bent the stand until it fell off. That, and it must have been missing the snap rings.

I think I can get the stand back on with the bike on the side stand. otherwise, I can use a come-along from a rafter to hold it upright.
    2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, 2002 Aprilia Caponord, 1983 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III (sold), 1983 Yamaha 650 Turbo (sold), 1972 Honda CB750 (sold), 1981 Moto Guzzi V50 III (totaled), several Vespas and one Lambretta

Quote Originally Posted by JBBenson View Post
    The stand looks tweaked, the two mounting holes are not exactly in line anymore.

I think the problem developed over time: as I used the center stand on my uneven garage floor, one side carried more weight that the other, and that gradually bent the stand until it fell off. That, and it must have been missing the snap rings.

I think I can get the stand back on with the bike on the side stand. otherwise, I can use a come-along from a rafter to hold it upright.
    I took mine off a few weeks ago to clean and paint it. You have to remove the bolts on the side stand in order to remove the mounting plate of the center stand. I used a floor jack to gently hold the bike upright while I removed the mount for the center stand. You really need to have both mounting plates off the bike in order to easily replace the washers and snap rings.
    2002 Capo Wilbers rear shock, Wilbers front progressive springs, Metal fuel connectors, polaris sh775 series regulator direct wired, silicone vacuum lines, catfish map, CNC clutch slave, autoelectrics coils (2)sides, Triumph Denso 3990's centers, k&n air filter, all LED lighting, SS brake and clutch lines, Givi tall screen, Triumph tiger 955i mirrors, dual horns. Pure copper 4 gauge battery cables. Rox risers.

I can tell you one way to lift the bike! My last tire change I made the mistake of taking both front and rear tires off at the same time. Well, the bike fell off the center stand I had it sitting on because I forgot to strap it back so it couldn't move. I was left to figure out how to lift it back up and get the tires on it. I used two step ladders with a 4x4 post I had laying around supported between them. I then used two ratchet straps from the post to the bike to ratchet it up one end at a time. You could use this method on the front of the bike to lift it up high enough to install the center stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardtop View Post
    I can tell you one way to lift the bike! My last tire change I made the mistake of taking both front and rear tires off at the same time. Well, the bike fell off the center stand I had it sitting on because I forgot to strap it back so it couldn't move. I was left to figure out how to lift it back up and get the tires on it. I used two step ladders with a 4x4 post I had laying around supported between them. I then used two ratchet straps from the post to the bike to ratchet it up one end at a time. You could use this method on the front of the bike to lift it up high enough to install the center stand.
    I soft tie my front wheel down to the workbench leg and put a milk crate under the swing-arm after I pull the wheel. Front off is easier - just some weight on the back - both at one time? Never tried it - Probably will rig up a block to hold the front.
    06' Caponord

I will never do it again. Time better spent taking one end at a time to the shop for new tires.