Thread: 5mm Spacing / Tolerance Rear wheel Aprilia Tuono Factory 2009

apriliaforum newb

Unhappy 5mm Spacing / Tolerance Rear wheel Aprilia Tuono Factory 2009

Hello People,

My rear wheel bearing on the right side(Brake disk-sight) is broken for the second time. I replace all of them, not just one. I checked if the spacer are there and it is.

When i skip the wheel itself and place all spacers and bearings on the axis and place it in the swingarm there is a spacing of 5mm without tighten the nut. I measure my inner spacer of the wheel and this is 132.5mm .

I have the bike not that long so maybe the previous owner did something wrong.

I bought the right bearings.

SKF 6205 2RSH/C3
    SKF 6006 2RS1/C3

It is a forged wheel, i think OZ?

Can somebody help me?

Is there a good order to mount the bearings.
    The workshop manual only illustrates the standard wheels.

Kind regards,

Tijmen

The best way for help here would be for you post some photos. Have you checked an Aprilia parts fiche or a manual to make sure you have everything mounted correctly? AF1 have the fiche in their online shop.

apriliaforum newb
    Hello Jess,

Thanks for the reply, i have the drawings of all the parts, everything is there and mounted correctly, today i want to place some photo's to make it clear.

If you have the correct bearings installed and all spacers in the right positions, from what I remember installing my wheel multiple times then 3-5mm would be about right.
    There are a couple of things that maybe causing it - over torquing the wheelnut- it should be 120nm, or maybe the orientation of the front sprocket. The front sprocket needs to be mounted with collar facing inwards, if the collar is facing outwards, to get the chain aligned the wheel will be crooked putting pressure on the bearings/axle.

apriliaforum newb
    The front sprocket can be mounted incorectly, i will check that, thanks a lot!

Is this the original wheel that came with this bike? I ask because gen 1 wheels are narrower by about 2.5mm across the complete axle package as you have pictured. The change was a result of the chain line being moved further to the left on gen 2 bikes to provide more clearance between chain and the wider tires that were coming. This was accomplished at the rear by widening the left side of the gen 2 wheel hub and using an offset rear sprocket. At the front the entire engine was moved to the left in the frame.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

apriliaforum newb
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuono Factory.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	347127
    It is a Tuono Factory from 2009, they are always fitted with this gold forged wheels i think.
    There is an M on the wheel, what factory comes the wheel from?

Aprilia changed wheel manufacturers for lightweight forged wheels at some stage from OZ to Malgatech. Same quality, just as good.
    In your photo it looks like your rear axle is mounted with the nut on the left. Not sure if this is your problem?

Quote Originally Posted by jess67 View Post
    In your photo it looks like your rear axle is mounted with the nut on the left. Not sure if this is your problem?
    That wouldn't matter.

Not related to the op's issue kz, but the does the wheelnut tightened on the right force the blocks against the chain adjusters and with the nut on the left make it harder to acheive this?

Quote Originally Posted by jess67 View Post
    Not related to the op's issue kz, but the does the wheelnut tightened on the right force the blocks against the chain adjusters and with the nut on the left make it harder to acheive this?
    I've always kept mine on the right as originally delivered but have read some highly regarded here make the opposite argument. I see no reason that you wouldn't be able to keep the axle and block tight against the adjuster no matter which side the nut is on. If on the right and you pull the wrench hanging straight down it's a problem and if on the left and you pull the wrench sticking straight up you have the same problem. The solution is to firmly push the wheel forward and begin tightening with the wrench sticking straight back. Works no matter which side the nut is on.

Some think it's easier to get the axle through the caliper bracket by inserting the axle from the right side. Never tried it myself as most of my bikes had the nut on the right. I use a block under the tire to aid getting the axle through.

I think the problem tijmen is having is just a variability in the width between the swing arm ends. The only way to verify what his problem is would be to carefully measure the inside width of his swing arm ends and compare it to others along with carefully measuring the width of the component package that fits between them.

Thanks kz, I think I was more thinking out aloud about axle orientation. If I had my bike here I would measure the swingarm width, but I do have an 08 r cast rear wheel that came on the bike and still has the original bearings and spacers. It measures at 230mm through the internal from the outside of the spacers. I didn't measure from the bearings because I am not sure the oz and the cast wheels are the same dimensions and the same spacers. Hope this helps.

apriliaforum expert
    thank you Kz, this helps a lot with my understanding of the rear axle.