Thread: 2017 Tuono Engine Cutting out / Stand sensor on dash

apriliaforum newb

2017 Tuono Engine Cutting out / Stand sensor on dash

Hi guys,

Sharing my 1st issue. 5,500 miles on the Tuono , Engine cutting out while riding and even stalling at low speed.

Random engine cut out while on the gas , like bike is having some hick up. could happen 3 times in 1 minute and nothing for 30 min, if I don't rev to high the engine.

Pb got worst but couldn't find out the issue until I look at the dash and the orange signal of the stand popped up on the dash. It appeared really quick while engine cut out, and this happens at any speed, any gears... very random issue.

Going to the dealer this week to see what they ll find out. Just wanted to know if anyone got same pb and eventually a fix
    Last edited by 16th_03; 11-27-2017 at 12:41 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    first thing I'd look for would be the stand sensor switch.. make sure it's not fault or not adjusted properly ( if adjustable). that surely would make the engine cutout if the switch comes on for a millisecond..

apriliaforum Member johnnyjellybean's Avatar
    Kickstand switch or connection.
    2013 Tuono V4
    2011 Ducati Monster 796 modded
    2007 Harley Streetbob 120RWHP/120RWTQ

apriliaforum expert
    Agree with the above....those pesky side stand switches can cause all sorts of mayhem if they get flaky and that applies to all modern bikes these days....

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by fr0st View Post
    first thing I'd look for would be the stand sensor switch.. make sure it's not fault or not adjusted properly ( if adjustable). that surely would make the engine cutout if the switch comes on for a millisecond..
    So I did checked indeed, I removed it from support , so its position says "stand up" , all time.

I zip tight it so i can made it home, also checked connections, didn't see anything "wrong" beside being dirty , grease from the chain, nothing seemed suspicious. Still cutting out on way home tho.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by 16th_03 View Post
    So I did checked indeed, I removed it from support , so its position says "stand up" , all time.

I zip tight it so i can made it home, also checked connections, didn't see anything "wrong" beside being dirty , grease from the chain, nothing seemed suspicious. Still cutting out on way home tho.
    follow the cable... until you get to the connector.. unplug it and plug it back it.. make sure it's all the way in.. if the kick stand light comes on, it's something related to that.

apriliaforum Member
    Having not seen the circuit diagram not 100% sure on operation, but if the switch closes when the stand is up you could try shorting it temporarily to see if that solves your issue.

apriliaforum Member johnnyjellybean's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulFargo View Post
    Having not seen the circuit diagram not 100% sure on operation, but if the switch closes when the stand is up you could try shorting it temporarily to see if that solves your issue.
    yes. Try shorting it at the connection or better yet,take a multimeter and check the continuity of the switch itself. The thing is if it is an intermittent problem, it may test good. You can try bypassing the switch altogether .
    2013 Tuono V4
    2011 Ducati Monster 796 modded
    2007 Harley Streetbob 120RWHP/120RWTQ

apriliaforum newb
    Dealer found out the pb. the connector was loose at the upper level. Gas tank level, creating this issue. Only time the tank was touched is for them to install the ECU race. They took care of it.

Thanks for all your replies.