Thread: Help - Instrument Panel Issues

apriliaforum newb

Question Help - Instrument Panel Issues

I own a 2007 Sportcity 250 ie. It has about 9,500 miles on the odometer. Recently, I began to notice issues with my instrument panel. Here are the symptoms when the scooter is operating at running speed (that is, not idling):

• The red warning light lights up intermittently as does the the EFI icon.
    • The turn signals work but the turn signal indicator lights don't work.
    • The high beam indicator light doesn't work.
    • The instrument panel illumination lights don't operate.
    • The odometer, speedometer, clock and voltage indicators seem to be operating normally.

All the above problems do not occur when the scooter is just idling. Finally, I'm observing that the voltage indicator reading is around 15 volts at idle speed and it goes as high as 19 volts at running speed. Previously, the voltage indicator range was always between 13.5 and 14.2 regardless of the engine RPMs. Other than the wonky instrument panel issues, the scooter is running normally at all speeds. The only other issue is that the headlight bulb (not the high beam) has burned out. Coincidence or related to the panel issues? I don't know.

My first thought was that my battery was failing as it is 8 years old. So I replaced the battery but this did not solve the above issues. I'm now thinking that I may have a bad voltage regulator/rectifier because of the high voltage and variable readings. And that maybe that there is some sort of protection system that turns off the instrument panel when the voltage is too high.

I sure would appreciate any advice from my fellow Sportcity owners who might have had a similar experience as to what might be the problem and how to resolve it. Thanks so much for your help! - Rob (Walnut Creek, CA)

apriliaforum prov-nov Pinkscoot's Avatar
    It probably is you voltage regulator. If you are getting 19volts then it isn't doing its job.

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks Pinkscoot. Today I extracted my Voltage Regulator... no easy job! Looking for the best price on a replacement on the internet. Does anyone have a "go to" parts source to recommend?

apriliaforum prov-nov Pinkscoot's Avatar
    AF1 the sponsor of the site or Scooterpartsco.com.

apriliaforum newb
    Were you able to replace the voltage regulator and did that solve the problem? I just started having the exact same symptoms and was about to post the same question!
    Last edited by stclairtr; 12-21-2017 at 11:39 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    Many times that happens because the battery has started to fault and one waited too long before replacing it. How old is the battery or if just recently changed how old was it when you replaced it? On my SuperDuty Ford a failing battery will cause the ECU to fault and it will try to spin the engine backwards when you reach about 8 mph which results in quite a jolt from the V10. If you catch it in time you may get away with just replacing the battery.

apriliaforum newb
    As a follow-up, I replaced my voltage regulator today and it solved the problem! Thanks to the OP, rjbopper, and Pinkscoot!

apriliaforum expert
    Still try to determine the root cause of the failure. If the battery being on the edge or an intermittent short, etc caused the old regulator to fail then the new one will need replacement in a short while due to the same reason. Hate to see you replacing multiple regulators if its only a symptom of another problem.

apriliaforum newb
    Battery is new. Old battery checks to be ok as well. Seems the voltage regulator (diode rectifier section) just failed after 10 years. And “old” battery was only 2 years old.