Thread: Fuel problem, can't go past 8k

apriliaforum Junkie brandonmccann's Avatar

Fuel problem, can't go past 8k

Hey guys

So last time I had a problem similar to this I cleaned it up using seafoam and a new fuel filter, and plugging the vaccum lines. In that instance, the bike would stutter and be almost a complete loss of power, and then pickup again. However that time was literally a complete loss of power.

I went on a large group ride today, about 100 bikes. Was super fun and for the most part of it I got to leave others behind instead of me being the straggler, but about halfway through my bike couldn't go passed 8k. Power just steadily declined, and then it would stutter(not as bad as before though).

I rode through the jerking motion at 60mph, and eventually it picked up a little better but still couldn't go over 8k really.

Group stopped for a second, no problem after that.

Decided to head home early due to rain, and about halfway home the same problem came again. Turned off the bike, and it was temporarily cleared.

Since it's not exactly the same as it was before, I don't really know if I should replace the filter. I will run seafoam again but I think my culprit might be the motocorsaro? As when the bike is turned off and back on again, it is temporarily resolved.

What do you guys think? Could it be the motocorsaro failing? Any other possibilities? I will pull the motocorsaro off when I install the new exhaust this week, hopefully that'll clear it up.
    -----------------------------------------
    Seemingly endless conquest(WTB) for - Bazzaz Z-fi tc kit, Healtech quickshifter, GLpro X gear indicator, aftermarket shock, HLD Large Rear Fender, Carbon tank & ignition panels; For 2009 Shiver.
    For SALE - Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders W/ Mad Hornet adjustable levers and OEM mirrors; From a 2009 Shiver.

2009 Aprilia Shiver; Apex Clipons, 520 45T, Motocorsaro o2 Optimiser, DNA filter and snorkel removal, Accosatto clutch & brake masters, Mussan MPdemon header & decat link pipe, Skidmarx Bellypan, HLD seat cowl, Sport Screen, CRG Arrows, LED retrofit(Opt7, Zevo, Watsen), R&G Tidy, Rosmoto Rearsets, T-Rex Sliders.

apriliaforum expert
    Maybe the O2 sensor failing?
    Don't be a jerk... jerk

2016 KTM 250 xc
    2013 KTM 350 xcf ---------------SOLD
    2011 Husqvarna 630 ------------SOLD
    2007 KTM Superduke 990-------SOLD
    2009 Dorsoduro 750
    2003 KLX 400R
    2009 YZ450 -----------------------SOLD
    2007 ZZR600 ----------------------SOLD
    2006 CBR600RR ------------------SOLD
    2009 Ninja 250 -------------------SOLD

Maybe the fuel tank vent is plugged? If air can't get into the tank the bike will eventually stall, and pausing for a bit may "fix" it 'till the next high speed run. Or fuel filter is clogged and needs replacement.

Yeah, I was thinking the lambda too. Also that the fatduc/motocorsaro kinda goes with that. Also gonna take a look at the hose I did plug off(the one going to the evap) and see if it's still sealed properly. Did all that about 2 years ago and haven't had any problems until recently.

Since it clears it up for about 15-20 minutes after restarting it, I was thinking it was something to do with the motocorsaro/fatduc. Bike gets hot, motocorsaro sits right next to the exhaust(and actually on it to some extent) and was thinking maybe it's just going bad. As the fatduc/motocorsaro "tricks" the ecu into fueling differently, I'm hoping that's the culprit. I'll rip it out and report back on here.

I'm able to back off the throttle and open it back, and I can still get power. It's just kinda like it's at a standstill and doesn't want to go anywhere.

One night I did a high speed run with the group here, and got left behind. She did just did not want to go over 120, and it was kinda difficult for it to get up there. However, there wasn't any stutter or jerking at that time and I just couldn't get it to go that fast.

Regarding the fuel filter, Would the filter being clogged be remedied by stopping and restarting?
    Seemingly endless conquest(WTB) for - Bazzaz Z-fi tc kit, Healtech quickshifter, GLpro X gear indicator, aftermarket shock, HLD Large Rear Fender, Carbon tank & ignition panels; For 2009 Shiver.
    For SALE - Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders W/ Mad Hornet adjustable levers and OEM mirrors; From a 2009 Shiver.

2009 Aprilia Shiver; Apex Clipons, 520 45T, Motocorsaro o2 Optimiser, DNA filter and snorkel removal, Accosatto clutch & brake masters, Mussan MPdemon header & decat link pipe, Skidmarx Bellypan, HLD seat cowl, Sport Screen, CRG Arrows, LED retrofit(Opt7, Zevo, Watsen), R&G Tidy, Rosmoto Rearsets, T-Rex Sliders.

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    It could, if fuel consumption is outpacing flow. I would think it would studder and pop though. A smooth loss of power sounds electronic caused, like the bike is dialing it back on purpose.
    2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

yeah like I can just back off and on the power like nothing. Granted, there's not any GAIN in power but I can very well manipulate it off and on. The jerking motion also cleared up after a while and I limped to the group.

when the filter was bad, I thought I was gonna fall over. Like when you get a fruit slushy from Sonic and end up getting a piece of fruit in the straw when you go for a drink lol. Throttle was just slop until the bike could throw more fuel in. Scary times.

This time it's like being at a redline, but super early.

You can also audibly hear a difference when it's about time for the problem to pop up. Exhaust sounds very throaty. I also wonder if it could be a leak or something similar in the exhaust(Gaskets, maybe?)? I guess that question will be cleared up when I pop the new one on this week sometime.

What about spark plugs? I've never changed mine out, could that also be a culprit. A fouled spark plug?

apriliaforum newb
    Sounds either electrical or vacuum related to me. Maybe a faulty connector has some corrosion that only pulls enough current at high rpm? Check ignition leads? I had a similar issue on my RSVR where the carbon can got clogged and wouldn't allow the tank to breath properly, but you said you took your emission gear off so maybe a clogged vent line?
    Current: '07 Aprilia RSVR, '01 Suzuki Bandit 1200, '09 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
    Past: '04 KTM 625 (I miss you...), '03 CBR F4i, '01 Suzuki Bandit 600
    '03 Yamaha YZF426, '94 Honda CR250 (mistakes were made...)
    '13 Honda CBR 250r

I did take a look at the vent/evap lines, and they seem to be good still.

The last mechanic did end up relocating them and zip tying them in a tucked away spot, however. Perhaps the zip tie is closing off airflow and there's tank expansion? I'll note it and take a look how cinched down it is.

It's right behind the radiator, could it be possible hot air is going INTO the vac line? Previously it was pointed down to the ground and away from the radiator.

If those vent hoses are pinched, plugged, or restricted in any way, I'd bet that to be the problem.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, FatDuc, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO on order...

Quote Originally Posted by rule62 View Post
    If those vent hoses are pinched, plugged, or restricted in any way, I'd bet that to be the problem.
    acab

well they aren't plugged, but the mechanic may have made them the zip tie too tight and it's restricting flow.

Also that it's right behind the radiator, maybe some of that heat can go back into the hose and expand the fuel?

apriliaforum newb
    The heat from the engine under the tank will be a bigger problem than hot air from the radiator. Those vent lines just account for expansion and contraction of the fuel, relatively low temps shouldn't have anything to do with it. If tank pressurization isn't the issue I'd start looking at electrical/ignition problems.
    Not terribly well versed in Dorso electrics because I just recently bought mine, but I imagine they're not far off from any other Italian motorbike.
    It's a long shot with Aprilia's popularity in the US, but if there's anybody near you who would be willing to momentarily swap ECU's you could rule out a pretty expensive fix pretty quickly if that happens to be the issue.
    Current: '07 Aprilia RSVR, '01 Suzuki Bandit 1200, '09 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
    Past: '04 KTM 625 (I miss you...), '03 CBR F4i, '01 Suzuki Bandit 600
    '03 Yamaha YZF426, '94 Honda CR250 (mistakes were made...)
    '13 Honda CBR 250r

apriliaforum expert
    run some seafoam first haha. Hope you get this cleared up.
    Don't be a jerk... jerk

2016 KTM 250 xc
    2013 KTM 350 xcf ---------------SOLD
    2011 Husqvarna 630 ------------SOLD
    2007 KTM Superduke 990-------SOLD
    2009 Dorsoduro 750
    2003 KLX 400R
    2009 YZ450 -----------------------SOLD
    2007 ZZR600 ----------------------SOLD
    2006 CBR600RR ------------------SOLD
    2009 Ninja 250 -------------------SOLD

thanks man, gonna run some seafoam and reduce the input from the motocorsaro before I pull it. I think it's running rich, rather than lean.

Also...new exhaust is out for delivery! Super slammed with work at the moment but might try and dig into it a bit at a time throughout the day. I'm checking the front door like a paranoid person lol.