Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camier the new Rea?

Used to be sunny Durham, now dull and rainy Midlands, England
    Why the apparent downer on Foggy ?

Love him or hate him, he was good for the sport - a real "character" both on track and off it. Most of today's riders can't afford to have such characteristics because of the "political correctness" they have to stick to because of sponsorship responsibilities - and if any of them played up, there'd be hell to pay on social media, with all the namby-pamby do-gooder's shouting for them to be fired/banned/hung/drawn/quartered, for daring to say something that might have offended some overly sensitive rose petal.

Take away the overly "corporate" element f WSB and it might get a bit better (all ways - including "proper", aggressive, but fair, racing) - but not for long, as the sponsor money would dry up when the "tree-huggers" (can't think of another thing to call them, without upsetting someone. Hopefully, the trees don't complain) cried on Facebook/Twitter.
    Cheers,

"I am a selfish, self-righteous tosser", a "fucking loser" and now an "absolute fucking idiot"

Me - '03 RSV Mille, '89 FJ 1200 x 2, & '75 TL 125 & Schweizer S300 CBi Helicopter
    Wife - '01 FZ1 (Fazer 1000), '86 VF 750 Interceptor and '07 CRF 230F
    Kids - '03 Fazer 600, GY 125 and CRF 100 off roaders, '10 Reiju RS2 50 Matrix Pro

apriliaforum expert
    Well said.

See, while most think this season was boring, I thought it was fantastic seeing JR hand everyone their ass. Chaz too hisself out of the hunt with crashing, or it would have been a closer fight at the end. Tom is on the same bike as JR and he was simply outclassed. Melandri is coming to terms with the Duc and is going to be a force to be reckoned with next year as well I think. Camier has some moments of brilliance on the MV, only to have the fooking bike crap out on him again while everyone was cheering him on. Rea set a record on points as well as a record on consecutive titles. He is THE best rider on one of the best two bikes. And what now? They want to penalize the efforts of a team and manufacture that has put forth the funds and effort to be successful, only to make the show better? It is suppose to be racing, not a show where everyone is evenly matched. You build the bike the best you can and hope the rider you have is capable or riding it to potential. If they want a spec series, then they need to get away from production bikes.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

as mill said, foggy was good for the sport, but these types don't really exist now. and to the one that chimed in on no more rea-that guy has worked through some real shit to get where he is. stuck it out and kepot working. period. if he wants to take three more, then it's up to the other teams to take it from him. that's all.
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

It's World Superbikes FFS, they are production based bikes, and that's what the series is based on. If they were spec bikes it'd be another series.

I don't like rules that penalize winners. It's punishing manufacturers, teams and riders that have put in the money, the effort and done the best job, but, by the same token it's a drag to watch the same guys win all the time. Well, it's racing and the best guys should win. The sanctioning body is implementing rules that they see as making the racing more interesting, or interesting to more people thus bringing in more revenue $$$$$$$$. That's the business of racing.

Does racing not verify branding and sales anymore? I know sport bike sales are not what they used to be. Is that why manufacturers aren't putting in the effort in road racing that we'd like to see? More real manufacturer competition/involvement would make some of the lame new rules obsolete.

Wish I had an answer, I'D BE RICH! But I do see both sides of the coin.

By the way, since this is a Camier thread. I think he's an exceptional rider and would love to see what he could do on a competitive bike.

. . . and why Honda can't make a competitive bike is beyond me. WTF?

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    See, while most think this season was boring, I thought it was fantastic seeing JR hand everyone their ass. Chaz too hisself out of the hunt with crashing, or it would have been a closer fight at the end. Tom is on the same bike as JR and he was simply outclassed. Melandri is coming to terms with the Duc and is going to be a force to be reckoned with next year as well I think. Camier has some moments of brilliance on the MV, only to have the fooking bike crap out on him again while everyone was cheering him on. Rea set a record on points as well as a record on consecutive titles. He is THE best rider on one of the best two bikes. And what now? They want to penalize the efforts of a team and manufacture that has put forth the funds and effort to be successful, only to make the show better? It is suppose to be racing, not a show where everyone is evenly matched. You build the bike the best you can and hope the rider you have is capable or riding it to potential. If they want a spec series, then they need to get away from production bikes.
    Totally agree......JR is an exceptional talent, always has been, but some folks now equate that with him being on a better bike......what about all those years he extracted results out of the Fireblade when it was clearly a POS? He's now reaping the rewards of all the hard work, dedication, sacrifices he's made over the years and I wouldn't begrudge him any of it. When a rider is so good its a pleasure just to watch them at work, even they're away at the front. And also its the team around him, they work as a unit, the relationship between him and Riba is a match made in heaven, they instinctively know how to get the best from the package + Johnny's adaptability, his ability to adjust his style or level of aggression to suit particular circumstances is a major asset.

Maybe that makes me a nerd, but I can watch what some might consider a boring race and appreciate all sorts of stuff that's going on even if there's no fairing bashing involved.

I imagine all the efforts being made to slow JR & Kawasaki down will just spur them on to try even harder, and it'll be entertaining to watch him win more races/championships regardless of their efforts to stop him.

Rea is so much better than Tom or anyone else on the Kawasaki, that is apparent. The problem will be when he wins from the start and Sykes and the other Kawasaki riders[sanctions extend to all bikes from the same manufacture or is it team, even rider?] get penalized. This would make for an interesting season as the winning bike of the month gets restricted, previously months restricted bike gains wins and new restrictions ect.
    02 RSV Red , Derestricted intake, EVO airbox kit, Evo alu trumpets, Carbon panels from 01 MilleR, Haga dash, Ohlins damper, Sato rearsets, Tigcraft 80mm full system, 04 mirrors
    '04 Futura Silver, de-restricted air box, mille boot & Evo air filter, John B's rectifier & Anderson Power Pole connectors, brass QD, Nippy Normans HID low beam and Boss Bob's HID highs, Skidmark CF hugger & chainguard, TaylorMades, Helibars, Evo clutch slave, AF1 radial masters & 4 pad brakes, CRG clutch and brake levers, Rhino frame and front axle sliders, Wilbers shock, Lindemann Eng. fork mods, heated grips Gloebs' former bike

Would Dorna be handicapping SBK's top runners if the dominant guy was a Spaniard (or Catalan)?

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRMNL View Post
    as mill said, foggy was good for the sport, but these types don't really exist now.
    Yeah it wasn't just Foggy, Russel Slight and Kocinski all played their part. Four very abrasive and very strong characters who knew how to dish it out

Classic Rivalries

Those were some characters. I always enjoyed their mutual respect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32553C47-0F86-4866-A030-A8C8567D4FFB.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	507.2 KB 
ID:	347267  

apriliaforum expert

Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post
    I imagine all the efforts being made to slow JR & Kawasaki down will just spur them on to try even harder, and it'll be entertaining to watch him win more races/championships regardless of their efforts to stop him.
    Yep, look how well the grid shuffle for R2 went this last season, me & the missus would bet on how many corners it would take JR to get to the front from the 3rd row start.

It will be interesting to see if nobling the bike makes much difference. He just carries so much corner speed on entry & right thru the corner with the confidence he has in his setup most of the time.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by 02RSVVT View Post
    Rea is so much better than Tom or anyone else on the Kawasaki, that is apparent. The problem will be when he wins from the start and Sykes and the other Kawasaki riders[sanctions extend to all bikes from the same manufacture or is it team, even rider?] get penalized. This would make for an interesting season as the winning bike of the month gets restricted, previously months restricted bike gains wins and new restrictions ect.
    While I don't like the idea of restrictions, if you were to do it why not a weight penalty of X grams per point earned. Say X=100. So a win is 2.5 kg extra minimum weight for the rest of the year for the bike under that particular rider.

10 wins = 25 kg. A big weight penalty for sure. Big enough that I am not sure even Johnny Rea could overcome it. Of course anyone close to his points total would have a similar weight penalty too. By the end of the season you could see the title contenders in the latter half of the top ten, trying to get as many points as possible, while inconsistent or wild cards are winning racers on their lighter bikes.

But perhaps the biggest challenge for the top riders and team would be adjusting to the extra weight in tire wear and setup from pervious years. Last year's data would become increasingly worthless as weight was added.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    Would Dorna be handicapping SBK's top runners if the dominant guy was a Spaniard (or Catalan)?
    Yep because superbike holds no interest for the Spaniards and not much interest for the Japanese bike manufacturers either. Because Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha couldn't give two shits about superbikes , Kawasaki are running away with it and an uncompetetive series is of no interest to anyone.
    Edit Neither are KTM , Aprilia or BMW interested in world superbikes either.
    Ducati maintain an interest because they are the only manufacturer that can sell the same old ltd edition 40k bikes to fair weather bikers with more money than sense.
    And Kawasaki , well they are realists who know they can't cut it in GPs so are happy being top of the second division
    Last edited by V4Victory; 12-05-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast