Thread: a new and different issue (suspension)

a new and different issue (suspension)

Well the intermittent red light on the dash, proved to be an issue with the preload adjuster on the rear shock. The fault code it threw up is not in the workshop manual but Aprilia UK acknowledges that this is a problem they have seen before. A new electronic package for the suspension is now on order. Fortunately the bike is still usable in the meantime.
    Last edited by heinz57; 01-23-2018 at 10:22 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My 2016 Rally is also being repaired for a rear shock pump malfunction. Not rideable. Is it normal practice for a manufacturer to extend the factory warranty by the number of weeks that your bike sits in pieces at the dealer's service department?

apriliaforum expert
    ADD faults are normally indicated by all the preload icons flashing on and off at the same time. If it's not doing this I don't think it will be a suspension fault.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by RSTman View Post
    ADD faults are normally indicated by all the preload icons flashing on and off at the same time. If it's not doing this I don't think it will be a suspension fault.
    What he said. And the steady red with 3 suspension icons flashing simultaneously in my case was the pump and controller. Being changed right now. I read somewhere else that one other possible cause was the front brake switch, but i dunno

Yes I've got the occasional flashing suspension icon. Just waiting now to see how long the spare part takes.
    Why is your bike unrideable? Mine is apparently ok to ride.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    they said not to ride it, though i think it just defaults to a normal setting. The pump sounds like another common item that should have been recalled but their attitude seems to be just replace them as they fail as there are not too many of these out there. I guess a recall is big black mark that any manufacturer tries to avoid at all cost, even if it pisses off a couple hundred (thousand maybe) riders. The dealer is working to keep customer loyalty but the manufacturer cares little about brand loyalty. We shall see when i get the bike back, if all performs as new again, i will be extremely pleased to be back on this wonderful machine.

Ok warranty claim sorted. A new electronic preload assembly was installed (4 hours work!) With stripping down the old suspension and reinstalling new electronics on old spring and dampers. Suspension now back to as new. This isn't the first Aprilia have paid out for.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by heinz57 View Post
    Ok warranty claim sorted. A new electronic preload assembly was installed (4 hours work!) With stripping down the old suspension and reinstalling new electronics on old spring and dampers. Suspension now back to as new. This isn't the first Aprilia have paid out for.
    Good to know it's fixed. I imagine Aprilia will be making a claim on Sachs for the costs.

apriliaforum newb
    These bikes are getting far too clever. They are inventing there own fault codes now
    Some software programmer having fun methinks.