Thread: IRC install on '16 TV4 begins...

apriliaforum Member

IRC install on '16 TV4 begins...

Got a late start today. Had to go with Wife to look at dining room sets. That's done! Now to the IRC install. Parts off, load cell sensor installed. Hardest part probably is locating all the connectors to connect. Locating those now, once found will permanently secure wires properly. Reading and rereading how to route cables and be mindful of bends and heat sources.

'16 Aprilia Tuono RR
    '13 BMW F800GS
    '99 Harley FLSTS
    '90 Honda CR500
    '02 KTM 520EXC
    '09 Buell 1125CR-sold
    '08 Ducati 1098-sold
    '06 Suzuki GSXR1K-sold
    '04 Triumph Daytona 955i-sold
    '99 VFR800-sold
    '94 Harley 1200 Sporty-sold
    '83 GS1100ES-sold
    '49 Harley Panhead-sold
    Husky 250CR-sold

apriliaforum Member
    Done! Works bitchin'!!

Issue 1...Still on this latest IRC they don't have the power on the right post on the 6-pin under the dash. I read on the other install thread, (RSV4), there were 3, six pin connectors, on the '16 TV4, I only saw one. Anyway, broke out the DVM, found 12VDC switched, soldered power in to the correct 6-pin.

Issue 2...Went to upshift and revs went up, (blipping), downshift sounded like ignition kill. Hmmmm. IRC instructions are not the greatest. Putting the puzzle together, along with the RSV4 thread, I changed the 'CE' setting to 'C'. Problem solved. I'm thinking C is for 'Conventional' shift and E for 'European' (GP shift).

Load cell sensor...

Power to dash took awhile, had to open up this bracket to get power wire to run thru it...

I mounted the boxes under the left rear tail, keep away from heat. Paying very close attention to not twist/kink or zip tie too tight the wires for the load cell sensor. Running the wires on the outside of the frame help keep heat away from wires. Wires do have to pass thru frame to get to dash and APS connections. For that followed the negative power line that runs inside left frame rail, there is a place to secure the wire there.

'16 Aprilia Tuono RR
    '13 BMW F800GS
    '99 Harley FLSTS
    '90 Honda CR500
    '02 KTM 520EXC
    '09 Buell 1125CR-sold
    '08 Ducati 1098-sold
    '06 Suzuki GSXR1K-sold
    '04 Triumph Daytona 955i-sold
    '99 VFR800-sold
    '94 Harley 1200 Sporty-sold
    '83 GS1100ES-sold
    '49 Harley Panhead-sold
    Husky 250CR-sold

Did mine the same, but put the 2 boxes on the airbox just in front of the ECU secured with velcro. The only bit that is annoying are the 2 connectors on the throttle thing- had to carefully locate those, securing them to the bodywork spacer to keep it all away from the exhausts and fan. The 2 wires that go down to these have to go inside the frame next to the engine which isn't perfect but I couldn't see an alternative. Getting the connectors through that space was a bit of a wiggle.

The connector on the front was a pain to get at- had to remove all the bodywork, split the dash holder and find the connector inside but it was a simple plug n play once there.

Was made a little more complex where the controller sits as that's where the relay is for my accessories (heated grips, USB thing) so had to shuffle things around a bit. But nice and neat when the side panels are on.

I haven't used it much but find it a bit "pushy" at lower revs, ok at higher. The stock one on the 2017 models you can just stamp up and down the box all day at whatever speed. If you could adjust the lower blip to less than 20 then it might be better, but you can't It may have something to do with the Gabro reflashed ECU...?

First ride I had the C/E problem which was a tad confusing. Out of the box it's set to GP shift- a quick adjust on the controller to C and it was sorted.

One final thing- I have a label maker so printed out some instructions for the controller and stuck them to the subframe behind the side panel. Handy for future fiddling.
    Last edited by manic_grin; 12-06-2017 at 06:17 AM.
    2013 Tuono APRC Yellow Crotch Banana with...
    Heated grips, Stompgrips, tail tidy, new steering damper, titanium spindle nuts, PIAA bulbs, USB ports, RAM mount, gel seat, RSV4 air filter, crash bungs and engine covers, shortened Akra, IRC auto blipper, Gabro ECU reflash

Quote Originally Posted by GBsTuono View Post
    that look a nice arrangment! will test it at next street bike blipper installation
    ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    www.gabroracingteam.it

Visit my FB page and like it!
    https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam

Quote Originally Posted by manic_grin View Post
    I haven't used it much but find it a bit "pushy" at lower revs, ok at higher. The stock one on the 2017 models you can just stamp up and down the box all day at whatever speed. If you could adjust the lower blip to less than 20 then it might be better, but you can't It may have something to do with the Gabro reflashed ECU...?
    my ECU flash reduce engine braking (so the motor gives a little push at closed throttle) but blipper adjustment will cover for it. Have you tested all 3 ECU maps? they all have different engine brake setup, being the S map the one with greates (less pull action).

than, try reduce the hi-RPM blipper action setting too

than again, try to re-do handle learning via Guzzidiag
    ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    www.gabroracingteam.it

Visit my FB page and like it!
    https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam

Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    my ECU flash reduce engine braking (so the motor gives a little push at closed throttle) but blipper adjustment will cover for it. Have you tested all 3 ECU maps? they all have different engine brake setup, being the S map the one with greates (less pull action).

than, try reduce the hi-RPM blipper action setting too

than again, try to re-do handle learning via Guzzidiag
    I'll give all that a go when the salt is off the roads. About March 2018, then...
    2013 Tuono APRC Yellow Crotch Banana with...
    Heated grips, Stompgrips, tail tidy, new steering damper, titanium spindle nuts, PIAA bulbs, USB ports, RAM mount, gel seat, RSV4 air filter, crash bungs and engine covers, shortened Akra, IRC auto blipper, Gabro ECU reflash