Thread: oil leak and wheel alignment question

apriliaforum newb

oil leak and wheel alignment question

Hey guys!
    my bike got out a routine 20K service and the mechanic overfilled the engine oil. by the time i realized it was overfilled (by about 1 full liter) i rode with it for two weeks. I have since drained it to normal level.

Now the entire engine area is full of oil that's leaking from somewhere, can't tell where. could it be from the airbox and caused by an overfill of the oil?
    i attached a picture to help you understand where is the highest point i see engine oil, circled in red.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171105_164501.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	540.5 KB 
ID:	346859

Also the wheel alignment looks off (according to the tick marks on the bike) and when i apply rear break only, the brake feels like its on and off according to the wheel position (only noticeable when coming to a stop). could it be a brake problem and not alignment?

wheel alignment tick marks:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pHC...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NWt...ew?usp=sharing

Is this accurate enough to tell its off?

Thank you.

apriliaforum expert
    The marks do look quite far off, but what matters is the chain/wheels are aligned, not the marks (they can be off anyway).

Easiest way to check is to sight down the top run of the chain from the rear, use a torch if needed. Do it like you check a piece of wood is straight by eye.

If it looks straight, then the wheel alignment is good enough.

The oil is probably from the air box, wise to lift tank and get in there and clean it out, then clean the mess off the rest of the bike!
    Dorsoduro 750 - commuterised
    Hayabusa Gen2 - never gets wet
    SV1000SZ - heavily modified
    GSXR750K 1989 Slingshot - owned from new
    GSX750 Inazuma - old commuter
    SV650 Curvy - top all rounder

apriliaforum prov-nov
    The marks on my swing arm are a fair bit out, I set by them once and the chain was noisy and there were wear marks on the inside of the chain links. I re-adjusted by about 1.5 mm using a series of measurements and it made a huge difference, but I'm sure it's (probably) still slightly out. I was not aware at that time that sighting down the chain was reliable, I have one of those clamp-on tools now that I'm yet to try.

You can probably get enough access to soak out any oil in the airbox just by removing the air filter (and cover), so it's a relatively easy thing to check.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    Intetesting. My marks are dead on.

My old bike had no marks, so eyeball was good enough.
    2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

Chain alignment tool from Pro Motion
    Name:  08-0048.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  31.8 KB
    The oil may be coming from your valve cover gasket
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about god than be in church thinking about my bike 8)

apriliaforum newb
    I had a similar oil leak on my 2012 Shiver GT, which found its way down the stand. My local mechanic said it was the valve cover gasket and that it was recognised issue for the Shiver engine, especially if left on the side stand habitually. I agree with Maxredline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Junkie brandonmccann's Avatar
    Would the valve cover gasket leak, be right at the front header on the left side? I've got a super slow seepage right there, get's close to the stand but its very greasy there and you can smell it too. Some drips onto the front header and gets burned off. It's most apparent if the bike is sitting on the sidestand for a length of time.
    -----------------------------------------
    Seemingly endless conquest(WTB) for - Bazzaz Z-fi tc kit, Healtech quickshifter, GLpro X gear indicator, aftermarket shock, HLD Large Rear Fender, Carbon tank & ignition panels; For 2009 Shiver.
    For SALE - Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders W/ Mad Hornet adjustable levers and OEM mirrors; From a 2009 Shiver.

2009 Aprilia Shiver; Apex Clipons, 520 45T, Motocorsaro o2 Optimiser, DNA filter and snorkel removal, Accosatto clutch & brake masters, Mussan MPdemon header & decat link pipe, Skidmarx Bellypan, HLD seat cowl, Sport Screen, CRG Arrows, LED retrofit(Opt7, Zevo, Watsen), R&G Tidy, Rosmoto Rearsets, T-Rex Sliders.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonmccann View Post
    Would the valve cover gasket leak, be right at the front header on the left side? I've got a super slow seepage right there, get's close to the stand but its very greasy there and you can smell it too. Some drips onto the front header and gets burned off. It's most apparent if the bike is sitting on the sidestand for a length of time.
    Mine was from the left side but from the rear header. Like your description, it was a slow seepage that added to/helped to create the super greasiness on the stand. Yes, I could smell it, too. New gasket solved the problem for a while but donít be surprised if it reappears some time later, especially if you rev the engine frequently while sitting on the side stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    Checked the alignment and it doesn't look off.
    Was the mechanic suppose to do a wheel alignment (with the small weights that you attach to the wheel) when he replaced the rear sprocket during the service?

As for the oil leak, I'll open the air box when I'll have time in a week or two.
    If it's the valve cover gasket, other then getting some mess on the bike it shouldn't cause any other problems right?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuv-Cohen View Post
    Checked the alignment and it doesn't look off.
    Was the mechanic suppose to do a wheel alignment (with the small weights that you attach to the wheel) when he replaced the rear sprocket during the service?

As for the oil leak, I'll open the air box when I'll have time in a week or two.
    If it's the valve cover gasket, other then getting some mess on the bike it shouldn't cause any other problems right?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    those small weights are for balance. new sprocket shouldn't have thrown off your tire/wheel balance.
    Don't be a jerk... jerk

2016 KTM 250 xc
    2013 KTM 350 xcf ---------------SOLD
    2011 Husqvarna 630 ------------SOLD
    2007 KTM Superduke 990-------SOLD
    2009 Dorsoduro 750
    2003 KLX 400R
    2009 YZ450 -----------------------SOLD
    2007 ZZR600 ----------------------SOLD
    2006 CBR600RR ------------------SOLD
    2009 Ninja 250 -------------------SOLD

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalTireSkid View Post
    those small weights are for balance. new sprocket shouldn't have thrown off your tire/wheel balance.
    even tough the old one was steel and this one is aluminium?

and another question - the chain tension was first set and adjusted with me sitting on the bike while the mechanic was adjusting it.
    according to the workbook it should be set while the bike is on the side stand. does it matter?
    i'm asking because the tension is 40mm and the chain (its a 520 EK chain) has only 2000 KM.

apriliaforum expert
    yes. sprocket no matter what weight or material should not mess with your balance.

Chain should be adjusted on side stand... it does may a difference because you sitting on the bike compresses the rear suspension and effectively makes the chain tighter (usually makes it tighter).
    Don't be a jerk... jerk

2016 KTM 250 xc
    2013 KTM 350 xcf ---------------SOLD
    2011 Husqvarna 630 ------------SOLD
    2007 KTM Superduke 990-------SOLD
    2009 Dorsoduro 750
    2003 KLX 400R
    2009 YZ450 -----------------------SOLD
    2007 ZZR600 ----------------------SOLD
    2006 CBR600RR ------------------SOLD
    2009 Ninja 250 -------------------SOLD

apriliaforum prov-nov
    It can make quite a large difference being on or off the bike and setting chain tension. The sprocket-to-sprocket distance is greatest when you can draw a straight line from the front sprocket, through the swinging arm pivot and to the rear axle. That usually requires the suspension to be compressed a fair bit, sometimes more than just sitting on it - I did this once myself (on a trail bike) and then just remembered how much slack it produced on the side stand for future adjustments.

Clearly, the real danger is setting it too tight, but an excessively slack chain will slap around and be noisy, and in the extreme possibly jump off a sprocket etc.

The manufacturer spec will have taken into account all the geometry etc., so unless you have changed the chain length or the gearing significantly, it is best to go by that.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK