Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 shiver cat glowing red after short ride

apriliaforum newb

Question 2009 shiver cat glowing red after short ride

Good morning
    this is my first time posting on this forum.
    Recently purchased a 2009 Shiver with 23000 km on the clock .
    After riding it home on purchasing bike , private sale , I noticed smoke coming from under the seat .
    removed the seat and found that the smoke was coming from under the plastic cover holding the
    battery and wiring loom .
    Anyway to shorten the story ,I found all the heat resistant matting had disintegrated and the smoke was from the plastic smouldering .
    So replaced all heat resistant matting .
    Have just been for a quick ride and have found the exhaust cat glowing red hot , this is probably why mating disintegrated .
    The ride was in sport mode , bike feels very flat and gutless in rain and touring mode?
    Yes did take the bike for a ride before purchasing , but was a short ride around local roads ,so didn't really get up to op temp .
    But got it at a good price ( now I know why ) and was willing to spend some time and money on it .
    Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Kevin

Get a decat pipe. Keep it simple.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, FatDuc, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO on order...

apriliaforum newb
    Morning
    thanks for speedy reply.
    what is involved in fitting a de- cat apart from the obvious of changing the pipe ?
    what do you do with lambda sensor ?
    surely this is just ignoring the underlying problem ?
    I would also like to keep as standard as possible.
    Many thanks again
    Kevin

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I don't think it should be getting quite that hot. I would suggest an issue with fuelling, but I don't know enough about the electronics to know where to point the finger. It could also just be incomplete combustion in the cylinder allowing more fuel into the cat than normal, i.e. plugs, timing - a timing issue would probably make it hard to start and cause other issues. If you can, whip out a plug to have a look - the front only needs the rad dropping (no coolant needs to be drained), the rear I think requires the tank to be removed. Each cylinder does run slightly differently, mind you, and each has its own MAP sensor, meaning fuel is trimmed individually.

There are pressure sensors that trim fuel for airbox vacuum and temperature (density -> air mass ingested) and the O2 sensor also trims all of this as well over a longer time period ("self-learning"). Then there are the injectors, the pump etc. Any faults here will upset the fuel delivery, but should be noticeable when riding. The sensors are prone to fail, the pump can only rarely be a problem and I don't think the injectors have caused issues for many.

Disconnecting the O2 sensor (plug is behind the right-hand cast frame section) defaults to a slightly rich "safety" map, and throws an error with the red service light, which needs to be cleared - it is perfectly rideable, not strictly a "limp mode" as such. The O2 sensor "closed loop" running is probably the worst thing about this bike, causing it to stumble, stutter and lurch - later maps are said to be better than the first, and your bike being an '09 will most likely have had the first map on it when delivered. If the sensor is failing, as they eventually do, it will give bad feedback and upset fueling.

Before spending too much effort, I would hook up GuzziDiag and see what faults fall out (it can clear some), and there are also the on-board diagnostics accessible via the bike's switchgear and which have a more limited set of errors to display, but I don't know if anything useful shows up there without also displaying the red service light. All info can be searched for on this forum. One of the tools can also tell you what your map version is: the latest is A00134A0; yours probably originally had 013299 like mine.

Does the temperature gauge on the clocks go above three bars? Mine would struggle to stay at or above three in these temperatures at the moment, especially with a bit of wind over the radiator. If the engine (coolant) itself gets hot, it would most probably be lean, if not, it might be rich - or some other issue. Excessively rich running would be obvious from sooty deposits on the exhausts, at least before the cat warms up... Check the coolant level if you haven't already as well, just to be sure, and see if it changes over time.

As for the de-cat, it's reasonably straight forward: Take the silencer(s) off (the hardest, fiddliest part), pop the front pipe off, drop the cat out and replace with the de-cat section, pop front pipe back on and re-mount the cans / silencer. The sensor can be left off (blank the connector plug) if you don't mind the annoying service warning, or plan to get it mapped out, but it may or may not run too rich for you - proper de-cat kits should have a mounting boss for the sensor to go back into. The exhaust note will be changed: less boomy, (even) more raspy. Mine was actually quieter at idle as a result of fitting the Arrow de-cat, with Akra cans!

I would be sure there isn't some other underlying issue first, starting with the simplest, least effort items above. Note that removing the cat and running with a fueling problem (if it is that) will eventually destroy the packing in the silencer, too.
    Does it have any other mods on it already?

Regarding the three throttle maps:
    Rain mode is dead-feeling, it limits full throttle travel significantly. Basically pointless.
    Touring mode has a very soft initial and progressive mid-range response (for motorway work), and a substantial step up near the end, which I find unnerving in the twisties.
    Sport is the opposite in that it is initially very aggressive and then requires a lot of movement (too much, I say) at the end for fine adjustment when cornering.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum expert
    I have a feeling someone else had a problem whereby the cat had detached itself internally, and was causing a bottleneck in the flow, with the resulting high temperatures.

I think he cut the cat out, and rewelded everything up so it looked stock.

IndelibleInk - there is no packing in the OE silencer (I know, I have cut one open!).
    Dorsoduro 750 - commuterised
    Hayabusa Gen2 - never gets wet
    SV1000SZ - heavily modified
    GSXR750K 1989 Slingshot - owned from new
    GSX750 Inazuma - old commuter
    SV650 Curvy - top all rounder

apriliaforum newb
    Firstly thank you for all the info / suggestions .
    i have taken your advice and am starting with the simplest things first .
    Have removed plugs and air filter .
    I don't think the plugs have ever been changed , very sooty and big gaps .
    Air cleaner quite dirty as well.
    so have ordered new plugs and air cleaner.
    with regards to the electronics side of it , that's a bit beyond my capabilities , I am just your normal grease monkey .
    If the plugs and air filter don't solve the problem , think I'll take to the local Aprilia garage and get them to plug into there
    computer and see if it comes up with any faults .
    Will keep you updated if this solves problem.
    Thanks again
    Kevin

apriliaforum newb
    Quick question , how do you post pics on forum ?

Wow, if ever a motorbike SCREAMED out for dealer servicing it's this one! I hope it can be set right for you.

apriliaforum newb
    Quick question , how do you post pics on forum ?

apriliaforum expert
    3rd icon from right, insert image
    Dorsoduro 750 - commuterised
    Hayabusa Gen2 - never gets wet
    SV1000SZ - heavily modified
    GSXR750K 1989 Slingshot - owned from new
    GSX750 Inazuma - old commuter
    SV650 Curvy - top all rounder

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    I have a feeling someone else had a problem whereby the cat had detached itself internally, and was causing a bottleneck in the flow, with the resulting high temperatures.

I think he cut the cat out, and rewelded everything up so it looked stock.

IndelibleInk - there is no packing in the OE silencer (I know, I have cut one open!).
    Good to know about the exhaust, thanks! I never had one.
    It explains the crisp note of the stockers.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum expert hooligan hyena's Avatar
    A link from something similar a few years ago;
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ht=Red+hot+cat

Mike
    2011 Shiver

apriliaforum newb
    Hi again
    Decided to remove exhaust system again ,while waiting for new plugs and air filter ,have had a look down the pipes and in
    silencer to see if I can see any blockages . From what I can see they look okay .
    I did note that the front pipe did look a bit wet compare to the rear pipe , maybe the plug was breaking down and not giving a good spark ?
    Will post updates after fit new plugs and filter
    Kevin

I think your on the ball it sounds like fuel thing plugs will make the difference I would hope.I rode around yesterday in 30c plus temps runs 4 bars a bit fan kicks in few hours in traffic no dramas.

apriliaforum newb
    Good evening
    well I think problem solved .
    Just went a quick ride and went really well , plus no more glowing cat.
    So was either the plugs or the exhaust silencer ( as decided to fit a new silencer , thinking that might have been clogged , got a good deal 65 for brand new silencer from 2009 bike that was being broken for parts.
    So now next problem , just had quick check over bike and found the left side fork leaking oil , but that's an easy fix .
    So back on ebay for fork seal kits .
    Thank you everybody for your suggests and input , we solved the problem in the end .
    Will definitely be coming back with any future problems , plus give some input where I can.
    Thanks again
    Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast