Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Latest coil recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Motech View Post
    No, not a ballast resistor, an internal resistor. Don't know where it's at, never had desire to cut one open, but it's pretty significant if I recall.
    Have you seen a solution like that for any stick coil?
    Seems like a piss-poor design to use a resistor for a stick coil.
    Then the coil and ECM is poorly matched together from the beginning.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Well, the primary coil winding has a real resistance as a function of wire diameter and length.
    This resistance is mostly parasitic and would not normally impact primary current until the primary inductance saturates.
    The primary resistance is not normally used to limit coil current. (maybe ancient ign's)
    This is done via dwell timing (called ramp & fire) or by active current limiting at the coil driver.

Therefore, a better 'coil primary' parameter for finding an alternate coil is max current before saturation.
    Unfortunately, nobody provides this spec.

It would be great if someone O-scoped the primary current of a CBR coil in a Futura.
    If the primary current charging ramp stays nearly linear, then we would know at least the coil primary
    won't damage the coil driver.
    Last edited by rblue02; 12-03-2017 at 11:09 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov Kennibear's Avatar
    Try MagnaCor for wires to hook up the AutoElectric coils as they make specific sets for the Futura and Capo to use these coils directly. Very plug and play and they are the Rolls Royce IMHO of ignition wires. Mine were $85 delivered and their tech line is knowledgeable and will set you strait on what you need. The Tech I talked to knew all about the Ape's with AutoElectric coils. These coils are direct mount to the spark plug normally so the wire end is unique. I am too time short to fool with ignition wire mods to hack a solution. My spare time is better spent fabricating an exhibition laser stop light projector to illuminate to ground behind me with three diffraction grating 30mw lasers to startle the stupid four tire types following me too close.....

KB

apriliaforum newb
    I see that Magnecor (I think that's who you meant, with an 'e' -- https://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm) offer those wires in three sizes: 7mm, 8mm, and 8.5mm. What size did you purchase/did they recommend?

Bwryan

I believe the Aprilia sets are 8mm maximum as stocked. As I recall the 8.5mm wires are custom order. I bought the largest in stock wire they had.

KB

Just checked my purchase records and it was set #2596 for the '01-'07 Capo. That is a 8.5mm wire set. I was mistaken, it is the 10mm that is custom. I stand corrected.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234