Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest coil recommendations?

apriliaforum prov-nov FuturaWales's Avatar

Latest coil recommendations?

Bike started running on just 1 cylinder last week, so I did some trouble shooting and discovered that both front coils are dead. Likely scenario is that 1 was already dead or dying and it's taken the other one with it.
    I had no codes showing at all until they were both dead.

I have swapped one of the rear ones into the front and the bike ran fine on both cylinders, albeit with just 1 coil running each.

They look like the original sagem coils, so my question is, what is the latest recommendation for easy swap coils that I can pick up, which do not cost the earth?

Are cbr 600 coils plug and play replacements? I'd rather not have to do a connector swap, as I suck at soldering. I've read about Renault coils too, but wasn't sure if those needed new connectors.

I suppose I might as well get all 4.
    I've already got new leads from a fiat Brava fitted to the rear coils, as I had 1 loose spark clip. But it wasn't that. So ideally they would fit with those leads.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    2002 Flame red RST1000 Futura
    StainTunes Exhaust
    Wilbers Rear Shock (high/low rebound and preload adjustable)
    Brown plug removed - 13.9v currently
    05 map (staintunes with baffles)
    DIN/Hella 12v power outlet
    X-grip phone holder with built in charger

Having looked about, I can see various car coils, some citroen/Renault etc which might be Valeo or other makes. Have the same connector, but have hard mounting sleeve which would need to be cut off.

Has anyone had success with this, and fitting them back into the runner Sagem coil sleeve so they are easier to mount back to the Bike?

StainTunes Exhaust

So i ordered a set of 4 pencil coils from a Peugeot/Citroen v6.
    Same loom connectors, and they are Sagem ones.
    I just need to trim the hard plastic mount off and slip them into the rubber sleeve for mounting to the Fut.
    Hopefully then all will be well.

Cost me the round total of £48 including postage.
    StainTunes Exhaust

Unless you have different spark plug leads they are not compatible with the OEM leads without modification.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I have a capo on the dyno strapped down right now that the ecu is not seeing coil failure but it most definitely has coil failure of at least one central coil. The ECU seems to detect this fault poorly.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Quote Originally Posted by deefred View Post
    Unless you have different spark plug leads they are not compatible with the OEM leads without modification.
    Hi deefred,

I've got Fiat Brava 1.4 leads which i have successfully fitted to the original coils without issue, but I'm aware I may need to modify the bottom of the new coil to space out the connection correctly. I'm happy to do this though and will sort out that solution when they arrive and I can test fit. It looks like it's just a case of finding a suitable plastic spacer and affixing it to the end having removed the rubber covers.

StainTunes Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    I have a capo on the dyno strapped down right now that the ecu is not seeing coil failure but it most definitely has coil failure of at least one central coil. The ECU seems to detect this fault poorly.
    Yes, I had to manually test each one by running the bike on 1 cylinder at a time. Bike would start using just 1 coil on 1 cylinder and would run (roughly).

StainTunes Exhaust

If you loose a side spark plug it may or may not even be noticeable...if you lose a center coil/plug you will notice very quickly usually.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    If you loose a side spark plug it may or may not even be noticeable...if you lose a center coil/plug you will notice very quickly usually.
    That's good to know. Thanks

StainTunes Exhaust

I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a few days as I'm replacing coils and leads too.

I initially got some used CBR coils then also picked up some Renault coils because they are new and no need to solder.
    I also got some fiat leads.

I then found out the fiat leads don't connect positively to the Renault coils. The metal stud in the coil is slightly too small for the metal connector on the lead to click onto I think.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the CBR coils and M4 threaded rod to connect to the fiat leads. This method is well documented in the forum. I would have preferred to use the new coils but the coil-HT lead connection didn't feel great.
    2003 Futura, blue.
    Mods: metal fuel QD, FH020AA R/R, K&N, airbox mod, GPR exhausts, R&G, starter solenoid upgraded, FPR mod, top box rack, side stand, 05 map, fuel tank drains plugged, ignition coils and leads, Oxford heated grips.
    Previously: Kawasaki ZX6R 636 (-1), Honda Firestorm VTR 1000 (-2), Kawasaki ZZR600 (-3), Kawasaki KR-1 (-4).

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie B View Post
    I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a few days as I'm replacing coils and leads too.

I initially got some used CBR coils then also picked up some Renault coils because they are new and no need to solder.
    I also got some fiat leads.

I then found out the fiat leads don't connect positively to the Renault coils. The metal stud in the coil is slightly too small for the metal connector on the lead to click onto I think.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the CBR coils and M4 threaded rod to connect to the fiat leads. This method is well documented in the forum. I would have preferred to use the new coils but the coil-HT lead connection didn't feel great.
    Ditto as in trying to reply!!
    Apologies FuturaWales as I was going to offer help and then something comes up - as it does.
    If you had decided on going the CBRR route, I was going to offer to come down (nice rideout!) to help and solder the new loom into your existing one as I have just recently gone that route myself and found it much easier than I thought it would be and the result is just amazing!!
    Let us know how you get on and we can try to offer advice as & when
    Andy

Current: 2002 Futura RST in Silver
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Metal QD, H Pipe, Bef Cans, RSV De-restrictive Snorkel, RSV Forks & Brakes upgrade, NGK DCPR8EIX Iridiums, Earthed Throttlebodies, FPR Mod, Vee Max Starter Solenoid with uprated cables, FH008EE RR & Wiring Mods, NWS Hugger, Oxford OF691 Touring Hotgrips, Accessory & USB Sockets, HID Headlight, Pirelli Angel GT's

Up in Flames: 2001 Futura RST in Blue
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Skidmarx DB Screen & Hugger, K&N Filter, Brown Connectors soldered, R&G Hotgrips,
    Acumen DGV, Scottoiler, Accessory Socket. BikeVis Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Corsehf View Post
    Ditto as in trying to reply!!
    Apologies FuturaWales as I was going to offer help and then something comes up - as it does.
    If you had decided on going the CBRR route, I was going to offer to come down (nice rideout!) to help and solder the new loom into your existing one as I have just recently gone that route myself and found it much easier than I thought it would be and the result is just amazing!!
    Let us know how you get on and we can try to offer advice as & when
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the offer. I was in a bit of a rush to get something ordered because I didn't want to leave the bike sat for too long unused over winter. It's already been sat for a couple of weeks. So I did just go with what I saw as the simplest option, but that might not be the case.

Not to worry though, if I do end up struggling with these coils, I can still go the CBR route and your assistance would be still highly appreciated!

I'll let you know when they arrive and how I get on with them.

StainTunes Exhaust

Can you please try to measure the secondary circuit on the car coils. If it has the diod as the OEM coil, you should get mega ohm readings.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Quote Originally Posted by deefred View Post
    Can you please try to measure the secondary circuit on the car coils. If it has the diod as the OEM coil, you should get mega ohm readings.
    Will do. Once they arrive. Should be here in the next day or so

StainTunes Exhaust

Well this morning's testing proved as much as I expected. ECU on that ETV (same efi as RST) is not reporting coil failure, center front coil not firing at all under load and only marginally in free air gap. Needless to say swapping front leads from side to center was a revelation on the dyno, the graphs do not even look like they are from the same bike. Test rear cylinder first...no change to dyno output, swapped it back for fair test then swapped front cylinder, gained 15 ft/lbs of torque across the entire upper half of the rev range.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast