Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which investment bike?

Mate had one of the police rotary nortons it was funny to ride bit like a bmw 2stroke

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    What budget/price range are you talking and how long do you wish to hold before selling?
    Anywhere between $5 - 15k. I want to be able to register it as a "collector" here in BC ( must be 25 years old), enjoy riding it occasionally (so don't want to pay a premium for a super low mileage display bike), and be sure that it will appreciate. I'm not a young guy, so will probably only ride seriously for another 10 years or so... at that point it would be nice to pass something special on to my son, or sell it and fund the new mobilty scooter

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haga lout View Post
    I've had some a long time
    The jota I've had 39 years now time soon passes still remember paying £2400 for it.
    Some bikes come and go the ones that go some I regret some come by accident like the bimota I got last year went to buy a dr800 and the bloke had the bimota in the back of his garage I nearly got one about 1999 always liked them price was right so it came home with the dr
    Looks like you've made some smart decisions! I think anything built in limited numbers, as most of your bikes seem to be, and expensive when new, would be a safe bet for appreciation. I don't see any run of the mill Japanese sport bike becoming truly valuable, simply due to the numbers built. Limited edition versions, and the less abundant 2 strokes aside... But those have already taken off in price.

Old Boxers

BMW boxers don't really float my boat, especially later ones with such gigantic cylinders, but the original R80GS are super cool. Simple, versatile, fun. Ride dirt roads without the feeling of being a panzer commander. The R80GS is actually human-sized.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1BD7B90-E090-41EA-82F3-D93BA40B1D2F.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	458.2 KB 
ID:	346580  

Quote Originally Posted by YVRFACTORY View Post
    Anywhere between $5 - 15k. I want to be able to register it as a "collector" here in BC ( must be 25 years old), enjoy riding it occasionally (so don't want to pay a premium for a super low mileage display bike), and be sure that it will appreciate. I'm not a young guy, so will probably only ride seriously for another 10 years or so... at that point it would be nice to pass something special on to my son, or sell it and fund the new mobilty scooter
    I just picked up a katana 1100 low miles standard apart from the exhust I'd of liked the 1000 as it had a welded crank and better carbs well inside your budget . One of the lads on the capo section picked up a zxr750rr In your price . Think someone has said a gen1 tuono raceing with as mutch of the race kit as possible or a Eddie Lawson Kawasaki . Or sp1/sp2 I still think a mint fireblade or r1 must be the first of the model and standard will go up well in the next 5 years

Above All, Remember

We cannot dress you, YVR!

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    1998 Yamaha YZF R1 in pristine stock condition
    Yamaha OW01 in stock condition
    Yamaha YZF750R in good shape
    TZ250 (wide range of dates) in good shape
    Honda RS250/NSR250 in good shape
    1993 900RR Honda dead stock
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum expert
    Talking my own book a bit here but if you look at the prices today of the Bevel and certain Pantah era Ducatis like the F1, you wonder where the 851/888 will be in five years. Tons of race history for the model and still mostly hand built, not to mention much rarer than the superbikes that came after. You can buy an 851 in the US for $6k or a little more today. If they take off like every other top of the line Ducati has that was made before them, that could easily be $10k after a couple of years.
    Any serious Ducati collector would have to eventually have one.

I just missed a minty, local TDR... I called the day it was listed and it was already sold... I had only just learned about them on a thread here, and couldn't believe it when one was listed locally. At $4500!
    I also saw the TDR and thought about it. The colour turned me off in the end.
    This one is still up on Vancouver's Craigslist that would be a good choice if the price was right.
    Name:  00h0h_c7PZYjMoVVp_600x450.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  59.5 KB
    https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/...388775481.html
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about god than be in church thinking about my bike 8)

Buy it If you like it buy it or regret it later or not ,regrets they are the crappiest currency around

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxredline View Post
    I also saw the TDR and thought about it. The colour turned me off in the end.
    This one is still up on Vancouver's Craigslist that would be a good choice if the price was right.
    Name:  00h0h_c7PZYjMoVVp_600x450.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  59.5 KB
    https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/...388775481.html
    Yes, and the question is, what is the right price? It is just a tad over my budget as currently priced. I looked at the bike, and it is very pretty. Not a purist's collector, as it's been repainted. Very well done, but I think it is expensive for not being original. Other than that, I would jump on it. I always loved them, and almost bought one new, back when...

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
    Talking my own book a bit here but if you look at the prices today of the Bevel and certain Pantah era Ducatis like the F1, you wonder where the 851/888 will be in five years. Tons of race history for the model and still mostly hand built, not to mention much rarer than the superbikes that came after. You can buy an 851 in the US for $6k or a little more today. If they take off like every other top of the line Ducati has that was made before them, that could easily be $10k after a couple of years.
    Any serious Ducati collector would have to eventually have one.
    I agree with you completely, and have looked at a couple of the 851/888's. Might be the one to go for...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    A 1990-ish Norton F1 rotary streetbike could be what you're looking for, the question is whether you could even find one. Hen's teeth outnumber 'em, 5 to 1. The Barber Museum has an example, however!

Surf on over to YouTube for videos which capture the F1's music, it's fabulous.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-30...ton-f1-rotary/
    I remember I saved up my pennies to buy one of those when Norton first announced they were going to make them. I don't remember the exact figures but when they went on sale they cost about 1/3 more than Norton had promised so I didn't buy one on principle. I've only ever seen one in the flesh and I never got to talk to the owner. Still a beautiful looking bike in my eyes.
    FUCK THE MAGS

Never live the same day twice. (My wife nearly pissed her self laughing when she read my signature line, because she reckons she has never met anyone in the whole of her life who hates change more than me) She does have a point .

Yes, and the question is, what is the right price? It is just a tad over my budget as currently priced. I looked at the bike, and it is very pretty. Not a purist's collector, as it's been repainted. Very well done, but I think it is expensive for not being original. Other than that, I would jump on it. I always loved them, and almost bought one new, back when...
    Buy it it will go up in price just make sure it runs ok

Italian-accented

Last May I happened upon this H-D XR-1200 parked on a Milano sidewalk. Not exactly what you'd expect, but a super-clean example with Termignoni carbon shotgun exhaust, Öhlins rear shocks, and wave front brake discs. Its owner did a fantastic job! A great moto for urban trolling - Ciao, bella! - and fun on weekends too. Che perfetto!

I bet the owner doesn't lose much money on this rig, the women he finds with it might be another story.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	465DB755-7441-4E42-AD4C-9FDE4D293F27.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	547.0 KB 
ID:	346610  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast