Thread: Tire Leaking

apriliaforum Member andyandtherman's Avatar

Tire Leaking

So I had to put new tires on my new bike after a nice gash was cut into them a week ago. The problem is that they're slowly leaking air. The front is losing about 1 lb per day and the rear, about half of that. The tire guy, a reputable local motorcycle enthusiast/racer/tire service provider, suggested that I run them up to temperature and see if that helps them seat on the rim properly (that's where they leak). He said the problem is that the alloy wheels of the RF make it hard to get a proper seating.

Has anyone else ever ran into this predicament before? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
    2017 Aprilia RSV4RF. Austin Racing slip on, race ECU, Graves frame sliders, Competition Werkes rear fender eliminator, Motobox mirror block offs/led signals, gutted emissions, RhinoMoto bar end, Rizoma bar end mirror.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I would check valve cores to make sure they are clean and fully seated. I have never had a problem with Aprilia wheels holding air at beading area. They will bubble there from the rim-ease you use to install the tires when you first inflate them however they should not continue to do so unless tire bead itself is damaged or the bead seating area of the wheel is filthy with tire slime crystals or something?
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Have you tested it to find the leak?
    A spray bottle with some really soapy water helps.

I am with Micah, either your valve stems are leaking or the bead area of the tire has something in the way.
    CMRA

Sidi Boots
    Motonation
    Vesrah Brakes
    BD Racing
    Dunlop
    Race Tire Services
    Lucas Oil
    Vortex Racing
    Shorai Batteries
    North Texas Superbikes

1964 Vespa:
    133c/4spd conversion
    2008 Yamaha R6 #728

apriliaforum expert
    Aprilia OEM forged wheels... between the group of us 4 that all have sets (black, gold, and red) not a single tire has leaked.

50+ sets of Supercorsa street tires, SC1/SC2 slicks, and Dunlop slicks.

Issue is elsewhere.

--Randy
    2011 RSV4 FACTORY SE
    2003 CBR600RR - TRACK BIKE

Hi Micah,

When he seated the bead, I sprayed a little windex on it, and there was some bubbling. The bike is 5 months old (bought from Jon at AF 1) and this is the first tire change on it so they shouldn't be dirty on the inside. Just in case, however, he broke the tire down again and scrubbed gently with a wire brush to alleviate the problem. While all of this lessened it, the tires still leak. I just rode a somewhat spirited 85 miles to heat them up, as he recommended, and will add air and re check for leaks. I'll spray a little around the valve stems and inside them as well.
    2017 Aprilia RSV4RF. Austin Racing slip on, race ECU, Graves frame sliders, Competition Werkes rear fender eliminator, Motobox mirror block offs/led signals, gutted emissions, RhinoMoto bar end, Rizoma bar end mirror.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I vote valve core too.

Quote Originally Posted by andyandtherman View Post
    Hi Micah,

When he seated the bead, I sprayed a little windex on it, and there was some bubbling. The bike is 5 months old (bought from Jon at AF 1) and this is the first tire change on it so they shouldn't be dirty on the inside. Just in case, however, he broke the tire down again and scrubbed gently with a wire brush to alleviate the problem. While all of this lessened it, the tires still leak. I just rode a somewhat spirited 85 miles to heat them up, as he recommended, and will add air and re check for leaks. I'll spray a little around the valve stems and inside them as well.

Right after seating, where the beads "pop" (you should hear 2 distinct pops) there will be a little soapy water bubbling from the bead area as it purges trapped air out from between the rubber and metal. Since tire was just cjhanged and to do so you normally remove the valve core...that really would be the first thing I inspected closely. It could be just a little loose but before tightening (unless obvious) make sure to remove and clean the teflon band around the core, if it has any little bits of dirt or dog fur or whatever on it sealing from that little teflon band is unlikely. I assume when you inflated the tires they required well over 30 psi to seat or "bead"?

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman03 View Post
    Aprilia OEM forged wheels... between the group of us 4 that all have sets (black, gold, and red) not a single tire has leaked.

50+ sets of Supercorsa street tires, SC1/SC2 slicks, and Dunlop slicks.

Issue is elsewhere.

--Randy
    me too + 50 and several sets of rims, both wets and slicks, never a problem.

both front and back sounds odd. What week number and year markings do you have on this set?,
    Previous bikes : AR50 - AR80 - CB250N - RD350LC - RGV250 - VT400 - TDR250 - VIRAGO 535 - RF600 - RF900 - CBR600 - GSXR750 - TL1000R - T160 TRIUMPH - R1 - PIAGGIO - R6 - RC30 - 916SPS - VFR800 - 675 DAYTONA - CBR600RR - TL1000R - YZF750 - RSV4 FACTORY.

Yes, he put it up to close to 50 psi to seat it. I checked and the problem was indeed the valve core, both front and rear. A little twist, and they're snug. I erroneously assumed it was still leaking around the bead since it was initially after he mounted them. Thanks for the help!!

Nice...I had a feeling!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

CMRA

Sidi Boots
    Motonation
    Vesrah Brakes
    BD Racing