Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Valencia test

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    A F-1 career will not happen at this point, but VR is speaking now about racing the World Endurance Championship, and specifically the 24 Hours of Le Mans. In that arena there have been many successful older drivers, guys like Allan McNish and Tom Kristensen, who won well into their forties and beyond. Mario Andretti was still competitive into his fifties in the CART series, another career of amazing longevity. Those are but a few examples which spring to mind.

Tony Stewart, age 46, will be racing sprint cars this week at Western Springs in NZ. I would not want to be "that guy" who tells Smoke he's too old.
    He was on our sports news tonight.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Rossi has played around in rally cars for years, I could see him having a go at that + he has expressed an interest in 24 hour racing........I think he's more likely to dabble in these things for fun rather than take any of them seriously, he's more likely to devote the bulk of his time to the VR46 team IMHO.

Roscoe going to F1 would Be like Hamilton moving to MotoGP, not happening. Rally would be very possible as well as Endurance racing. He wouldn't be driving an LMP1 but could buy a an LMP3 and front his own team if he desired to. Having watched quite a number of hours of LeMans racing it does require a certain skill set that is more learned than innate.
    He should leave GP now and get a head start on this.
    02 RSV Red , Derestricted intake, EVO airbox kit, Evo alu trumpets, Carbon panels from 01 MilleR, Haga dash, Ohlins damper, Sato rearsets, Tigcraft 80mm full system, 04 mirrors
    '04 Futura Silver, de-restricted air box, mille boot & Evo air filter, John B's rectifier & Anderson Power Pole connectors, brass QD, Nippy Normans HID low beam and Boss Bob's HID highs, Skidmark CF hugger & chainguard, TaylorMades, Helibars, Evo clutch slave, AF1 radial masters & 4 pad brakes, CRG clutch and brake levers, Rhino frame and front axle sliders, Wilbers shock, Lindemann Eng. fork mods, heated grips Gloebs' former bike

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    A F-1 career will not happen at this point, but VR is speaking now about racing the World Endurance Championship, and specifically the 24 Hours of Le Mans. In that arena there have been many successful older drivers, guys like Allan McNish and Tom Kristensen, who won well into their forties and beyond. Mario Andretti was still competitive into his fifties in the CART series, another career of amazing longevity. Those are but a few examples which spring to mind.

Tony Stewart, age 46, will be racing sprint cars this week at Western Springs in NZ. I would not want to be "that guy" who tells Smoke he's too old.
    yeah; don't tell that guy he's too old.

i liked rossi in the dirt. maybe that would be interesting. also-he could afford his own team. that would be interesting. to see if he could make all the correct decisions for a team.
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

Make no mistake. Rossi knows how to drive as well. He would do well in the Le Mans, but I don't see F1 as a possibility.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Only way he'd get a seat in F1 now is for the PR value.........the sport is not in the best shape, even as a backmarker he'd add kudos......but I don't think he'd do it, well I hope he wouldn't do it, just for the money when there's no chance of success.......

I'd be impressed if he did a bit of rallying then went for the Dakar in 2 or 3 years, on 4 wheels not 2, he wouldn't stand a prayer on a bike!

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post
    Only way he'd get a seat in F1 now is for the PR value.........the sport is not in the best shape, even as a backmarker he'd add kudos......but I don't think he'd do it, well I hope he wouldn't do it, just for the money when there's no chance of success.......

I'd be impressed if he did a bit of rallying then went for the Dakar in 2 or 3 years, on 4 wheels not 2, he wouldn't stand a prayer on a bike!
    I don't think he is thinking about racing F1, but others seem to bring it up.
    I am sure he would jump at another chance to drive an F1 car, especially one of the older V8 or V10 powered cars. You would have to be dead to not want a chance to drive one. But he seems to be thinking more realistic about his future and wanting to drive in WRC or WEC would make a lot of sense. I would even be very happy to see him in IndyCar, but I am not sure he would want to do that. Some of the ovals they do are freakin scary.
    I see a racer getting older but not being done with racing. I can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post

now that would be interesting-seeing any of the gp guys doing dakar.

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

Didn't Vale test pretty damn well in an F1 at one point, a few years back?
    #1 Forum Mod Pisser-Offer

Some say a comet will fall from the sky. Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves. Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still. Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits. Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will
    I sure could use a vacation from this stupid shit, silly shit, stupid shit... One great big festering neon distraction, I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim!!!

i just don't see it. possibility of course. i think wrc more likely. who knows. what interests him more? whatever it may be, it would be the option where he sees himself being most successful.

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

apriliaforum expert craigo298er's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duc slayer View Post
    Didn't Vale test pretty damn well in an F1 at one point, a few years back?
    IIRC, he would have qualified for the race with his lap time. I donít see him doing F1, but the rally thing or maybe endurance races as part of a team.

edit: he did - 9th fastest of the 15 on track

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by craigo298er View Post
    IIRC, he would have qualified for the race with his lap time. I don’t see him doing F1, but the rally thing or maybe endurance races as part of a team.

edit: he did - 9th fastest of the 15 on track
    F1 is pretty full up with drivers at the moment, he would likely only end up in a lower end team and I don't think he'd like that.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    F1 is pretty full up with drivers at the moment, he would likely only end up in a lower end team and I don't think he'd like that.

Cheers
    Remember F1 is BIG business, its mostly about the money, sponsors return on investment, publicity etc and less to do with the racing..........if someone thought there was a financial advantage in giving Valentino a seat, just for the publicity it would generate, he'd be in a half decent car no problem...........but I would hope that he wouldn't prostitute himself in that way!

Rallying is a different matter, it appears he's actually quite good at that and could be competitive.......I would imagine getting a decent seat wouldn't be too difficult, nor would sponsorship, but would he want to involve himself full time in a championship?

Personally I think he'll involve himself more in the VR46 project and do a few wildcard drives in events that take his fancy........would be ace if he took on the Dakar......in a car tho', he'd not last 5 minutesl on a bike!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345