Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Goat?

I'm guessing that there will be a total of three GOATs for MotoGP through 2030.

Agostini - Based on numbers, wins, titles, women shagged and overall survival (Remember the TT used to be on the schedule)
    Rossi - The late 90s through 2010 (when he went to the Duc)
    Marquez - 2013 through 2025-ish

I don't honestly feel that the others in the series currently, or in the next 5 years have either the win records, nor the overall impression on the series, nor sport, to be classified as one of the GOATs.

IMO, the following riders get honourable mention:
    Casey Stoner
    Jorge Lorenzo
    Danny Pedrosa
    Kenny Roberts Sr.
    Kevin Schwantz
    Mike Hailwood
    =============================

If you want to get into Road Racing, there's only two names.

Joey Dunlop
    <very wide gap>
    John McGuinness

IMO, however, anyone that races & finishes the TT has courage beyond the wildest imagination of men.

Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    We are not talking about MV in 1962 here. The Rc181 was hardly a pushbike, and it was raced by the best (Hailwood, Redman). More critically, this was an era when pro level racing showed up at the track with less resources than some hobbyists ride today. There were no multi-million $$ contracts, there were no endorsement deals - you raced for passion to an extent.

McGuinness at the TT.
    this guy. legend. perfected the IOM.
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

Got Yer G.O.A.T.

This kid being chased by Brazilian police could be the next GOAT if he ever gets on a GP bike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSeVCOF-iwI

I still think it's a hard press to top Giacomo as the GOAT. Dude literally risked his life for every win. Won at the IOM when it was still a GP. Probably shagged a fair share of ladies too...

Rossi oversaw a revolution in the sport in terms of technology, fan base, and professionalism. Marc is the best of the post-Rossi set by a long way.

I think if you look at GP now (vs the 500 era or early Moto-GP), the bike and the team have started to emerge as a differentiator over the rider again. Yamaha went from contention to nowhere over the course of a season. Ducati is pulling race wins and podiums in 2 years after a team re-org with the same rider! With massive science and electronic controls, most of these guys are finding the limit of the bike and riding it there. If you just watch what happens on the track, you might not realize the difference between now and 2000, but recall in 2000 bike setup included carb jetting! Clearly the eras and the competition are not really comparable - and such comparisons are marginal at best.
    We are not talking about MV in 1962 here. The Rc181 was hardly a pushbike, and it was raced by the best (Hailwood, Redman). More critically, this was an era when pro level racing showed up at the track with less resources than some hobbyists ride today. There were no multi-million $$ contracts, there were no endorsement deals - you raced for passion to an extent.

Certainly, the athletic level of the sport was somewhat lower, but I can't say the performance was any less. On 1966 tires, tracks and bikes, one ill-timed mistake or mechanical was death. A component of the skill exhibited by the riders we have today clearly comes from the ability to crash and walk away. In the end, it is like comparing IoM TT racers and GP stars - surely MM93 is faster around Austin, but I'll have my money on McGuinness at the TT.
    Who is this Riot who posts so little yet says so much? Certain commenters here could learn from him.
    Beware the festive dog; drive soothingly over the grease-mud, for therein lies the skid demon.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming in terror, like his passengers -- Jack Handey

Wow...24 year old Marc Marquez says he actually had hair falling out earlier this season due to the stress, quite a startling admission from a racer. Will his intensity exact a toll on duration?

Quote Originally Posted by yzr750 View Post
    Even tho' you're a dick I'll engage, Stoner didn't have the longevity to get anywhere near goat status but he was, along with Hailwood and Spencer, one of the most naturally talented riders I've ever seen.
    All that, and talking about hot chicks they shagged....he's got that one....
    rossi certainly hasn't, well unless you count how many times he's been fucked up the arse from his boyfriends....

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    Wow...24 year old Marc Marquez says he actually had hair falling out earlier this season due to the stress, quite a startling admission from a racer. Will his intensity exact a toll on duration?
    No, sooner or later Honda will get the bike right and he'll romp it by 100+ points

Quote Originally Posted by Rider54 View Post
    All that, and talking about hot chicks they shagged....he's got that one....
    rossi certainly hasn't, well unless you count how many times he's been fucked up the arse from his boyfriends....
    Impressive display of intellect there, '54.

perfect example.

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

Riiight. So, general warning on the level of discourse gents. Let's keep it civil, eh? Or hop over the either PMs or the political forums and swing wang at each other.

Personal opinion, MM is well underway to laying claim to that title. He is still young, and brash enough to slip into young-man mistakes from time to time, but he has matured a whole heck of a lot in the past year or two. His skill in riding right now is undeniable. If he can stay healthy, he'll add quite a few more records to his name.

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by budoist View Post
    Personal opinion, MM is well underway to laying claim to that title. He is still young, and brash enough to slip into young-man mistakes from time to time, but he has matured a whole heck of a lot in the past year or two. His skill in riding right now is undeniable. If he can stay healthy, he'll add quite a few more records to his name.
    Now that the season is over when are we getting the AF1 Rider of the year thread?

Quote Originally Posted by JedB View Post

IMO, the following riders get honourable mention:
    Casey Stoner
    Jorge Lorenzo
    Danny Pedrosa
    Kenny Roberts Sr.
    Kevin Schwantz
    Mike Hailwood
    =============================
    No Doohan, Spencer, Lawson or Rainey?
    2013 Tuono APRC ABS
    1982 LeMans Mk3

Always leave people better than you found them!
    Ever wondered what your life would be like if you chose trust rather than fear?

Quote Originally Posted by OZSLR View Post
    No Doohan, Spencer, Lawson or Rainey?
    Or Gardner
    2002 RSV1000 Mille

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast