Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Goat?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    Lorenzo's crib tour was widely panned in Spain, of all places. At a time when unemployment there was at an all time high his publicity stunt was considered tacky and ostentatious by countrymen. But when you're Jorge Lorenzo, who cares about the little people?
    Yeah, the tight fuck needs to take a page at Vale's book and pay more tax so as to help the little people! Fucking Spanola Verme!
    Gen 1 Tuono - On loan to a friend who will ride her.
    Tuono V4
    CBR954RR Trackie
    Vespa GTS300 - Sold to a family who will love her.

apriliaforum expert
    Yaya everyone needs to be more like Vale,just have a load of top racers there flaking around your ranch!
    Rossi has his hand in everything!But that’s ok,it’s Vale!
    The sooner the guy is retired the better at this stage,and not because of the man himself but because of a percentage of his fans!
    You don’t see the Lorenzo or Marcquez fans hating on other racers!
    Go on,Ive enough said!

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by disco dave View Post
    Those are his sisters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea, point being?.....,......chicks are chicks.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
    I say we keep it simple and go with Girls Shagged.
    That needs adjustment, I think quality should score more kudos than quantity. Just saying.....

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Yea, point being?.....,......chicks are chicks.
    Sisters, hmmm. I don't think so. They're not like sheep Dave.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by murphc13 View Post
    Yaya everyone needs to be more like Vale,just have a load of top racers there flaking around your ranch!
    Rossi has his hand in everything!But that’s ok,it’s Vale!
    The sooner the guy is retired the better at this stage,and not because of the man himself but because of a percentage of his fans!
    You don’t see the Lorenzo or Marcquez fans hating on other racers!
    Go on,Ive enough said!
    OK, I know this is a waste of time, but it is seriously funny seeing the hate spewed at Rossi and one of the main things you guys hate on is how "Rossi fans" "hate" other riders.
    That is some seriously funny irony. I know you won't see it, but from the outside it is really funny.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
    OK, I know this is a waste of time, but it is seriously funny seeing the hate spewed at Rossi and one of the main things you guys hate on is how "Rossi fans" "hate" other riders.
    That is some seriously funny irony. I know you won't see it, but from the outside it is really funny.
    I don’t see what’s not there!And I do t need to defend myself!Youve turned around my arguement just like a woman does in an arguement clutching at straws!
    Pathetic!

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
    Didn't rossi fans show up at MM's home or something after the "incident" couple years ago? Don't recall MM or Jlo's fans being as aggressive as rossi's fans towards others - I mean in person, not online forums.

Edit - found it.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mo...0SP0QA20151031

Dorna apparently thinks rossi fans can be a bit much, as they have assigned bodyguards before:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mo...-idUSKCN0YB0VL
    Last edited by ralphcor; 11-14-2017 at 09:50 AM.

apriliaforum expert craigo298er's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphcor View Post
    Didn't rossi fans show up at MM's home or something after the "incident" couple years ago? Don't recall MM or Jlo's fans being as aggressive as rossi's fans towards others - I mean in person, not online forums.
    not sure on that, but JL would need fans first. I think I recall hearing something about fans outside MM's house or something after Sepang...

Quote Originally Posted by craigo298er View Post
    not sure on that, but JL would need fans first. I think I recall hearing something about fans outside MM's house or something after Sepang...
    Right, because if you don't like him, that means no one does.

apriliaforum expert
    It will take some doing for MM to replace Rossi as GOAT.

Someone asked about criteria, and ultimately this will be subjective. But I would contend one of the points for GOATdom is that you change the sport in some way. Marquez is dominating. Just as Rossi/Doohan/Rainey/Lawson/Roberts/Ago/Hailwood dominated for a few years at the peak of their careers.

But of those only Rossi in our generation has the combination of longevity at the sharp end, ultimately a massive number of wins and podiums, and to my point above he elevated GP racing in the media higher than it ever was before. People I know that have no knowledge about motorcycle racing have heard of him. In a way he transcends the sport. When he actually retires people will realize that the current riders simply will not hold the non-hardcore fans interest, although Marquez is the most likely to even come close to his level of popularity.

apriliaforum expert
    ^^^This is true^^^.
    Whats unfortunate is the almost hooligan element of the fans he brings(which he doesn’t condone).
    This is the reason why it’ll be good in this respect when he calls it a day!

Some Perspective

Many of the antifosi (VR haters) were vocal Max Biaggi fans, which is its own recognized psychological malady. When Max retired, these folks faced the bleak prospect of lost identity and relevance, thus they morphed into "anybody but Rossi" types. Credit to them, for they are the fiercest keyboard pounders on planet Earth! The reliable units we so amicably use today are in large part a product of their tireless 24/7 testing. So thank you all for the sheer quantity, if not quality.

Back to the GOAT question: I see precious little support here for Casey Stoner, even amongst the Down Unda contingent. Have all you lot just sobered up and transferred over to the Marquez camp? I totally get it, and in fact agree with this: 93 >>> 27.

Let's go back in time to early 1989, when a highly enthusiastic and wild rookie named Michael Doohan entered the scene on the Rothmans Honda 500 team. A major Spanish magazine did an early season article on him titled "Dead By July", making a none-too-subtle point about his frequent and violent crashes. Luckily, Mick avoided this fate and is still a cheery bloke.

I wonder if a similar article has been penned about Marc? Because I think the most likely barrier to his breaking all records is six feet of cold earth, or a chair like Wayne Rainey's. His real friends and family should keep his head on straight, and talk about that high stakes gambling addiction.

apriliaforum expert
    Doohan would probably have at least one more championship if he had not broken his leg so severely in '92 and was still recovering in '93. Without that injury, IMO 1993 would have been his and maybe 1992 as well. But his years of complete domination in the mid-90's were also perhaps the low point for riding talent combined with competitive machinery in the series too. His big-bang Honda had developed into an awesome machine in the stagnant 90's, Max won on an NSR500 his first time out in 1998. Doohan did not have the depth of competitors immediately before his reign, and especially now.

If he were riding today, he would be winning races, I am sure of that. But would he be showing Marquez levels of domination? I kind of doubt it.

I still think it's a hard press to top Giacomo as the GOAT. Dude literally risked his life for every win. Won at the IOM when it was still a GP. Probably shagged a fair share of ladies too...

Rossi oversaw a revolution in the sport in terms of technology, fan base, and professionalism. Marc is the best of the post-Rossi set by a long way.

I think if you look at GP now (vs the 500 era or early Moto-GP), the bike and the team have started to emerge as a differentiator over the rider again. Yamaha went from contention to nowhere over the course of a season. Ducati is pulling race wins and podiums in 2 years after a team re-org with the same rider! With massive science and electronic controls, most of these guys are finding the limit of the bike and riding it there. If you just watch what happens on the track, you might not realize the difference between now and 2000, but recall in 2000 bike setup included carb jetting! Clearly the eras and the competition are not really comparable - and such comparisons are marginal at best.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast