Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Goat?

Goat?

Will MM ultimately own that title?
    Gen 1 Tuono - On loan to a friend who will ride her.
    Tuono V4
    CBR954RR Trackie
    Vespa GTS300 - Sold to a family who will love her.

This will prove entertaining.
    02 RSV Red , Derestricted intake, EVO airbox kit, Evo alu trumpets, Carbon panels from 01 MilleR, Haga dash, Ohlins damper, Sato rearsets, Tigcraft 80mm full system, 04 mirrors
    '04 Futura Silver, de-restricted air box, mille boot & Evo air filter, John B's rectifier & Anderson Power Pole connectors, brass QD, Nippy Normans HID low beam and Boss Bob's HID highs, Skidmark CF hugger & chainguard, TaylorMades, Helibars, Evo clutch slave, AF1 radial masters & 4 pad brakes, CRG clutch and brake levers, Rhino frame and front axle sliders, Wilbers shock, Lindemann Eng. fork mods, heated grips Gloebs' former bike

apriliaforum expert
    It looks that way!
    If he can stay healthy and hungry then absolutely!

apriliaforum expert craigo298er's Avatar
    In this era, the era of electronics and rider aids, yes. I don't think he would have done as well as he has on the 500's. I think the 800s he would have dominated along with Casey.

I'd also love to see MM at 39 still racing and fighting for wins. if he isn't competitive or even calls it early...well...

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by craigo298er View Post
    In this era, the era of electronics and rider aids, yes. I don't think he would have done as well as he has on the 500's. I think the 800s he would have dominated along with Casey.

I'd also love to see MM at 39 still racing and fighting for wins. if he isn't competitive or even calls it early...well...
    Ouch!
    To be honest...I’m not sure Rossi is still what you’d call hungry!
    Anyway Marcquez is 24....he has 15 years to win 3 to tie with Rossi or 4 to tie Agostini in championships won!
    Not sure how many GP wins he has but he’s over 50 for sure I’d say!

35 wins (61 in all classes), 63 podiums, and 45 poles in 90 GP races. 4 championships in 5 seasons. Pretty impressive for sure!

He has to stay healthy to get the GOAT title, but he's already in the running. 20+ crashes per year will eventually take its toll though if he can't correct it.

MM would be a top rider in any era IMO. He's just a great motorcycle rider, and has the work ethic and mental fortitude. Maybe not as dominant on 500s, as he likely would be injured more. Still - a threat to win every race he enters and every championship he started.
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 (race) For Sale: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ace-Track-Bike

Got Yer G.O.A.T.

Definitions vary. In terms of absolute lightning reflexes and an ability to recover from those seemingly-far-beyond-lost scenarios, I reckon Marquez owns it NOW.

There are all kinds of statistics, like total number of wins, youngest (or oldest) guy to do this or that, et cetera. Feel free to pick what scratches your own itch!

Simoncelli Syndrome

Weird, after watching today's GP and seeing all the (deserved) celebration of MM's championship and his latest over-the-edge save, I began thinking about Marco Simoncelli. SuperSic certainly did lay his bike on the ground a lot and it finally killed him. People did try to tell him that and for whatever reason, exuberance, being a big mofo, inferior equipment, a thick skull, I dunno- it did not sink in before it was too late. The message was that every time you put the bike down you roll the dice, and eventually...snake eyes.

Now I think Marquez is in another category as a rider from dear Sic, but he is not at all immune from Murphy's Law and his own crash statistics are pretty alarming...every year. I hope Marc is not only surrounded by sycophants and people trying to cash in on his huge entertainment value, the ones who will dress in black and wear pious faces as his pallbearers, but also some folks who can impart a sober mindset. Maybe a guy like Paolo Simoncelli, Marco's pops, could visit MM's motorhome. Stick around for awhile, Marc! You are a cool guy and one of a kind!

58 Forever!

I wonder if he is capable of changing. He's improved since his rookie season, but still, he's a racer and pushes it.
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 (race) For Sale: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ace-Track-Bike

It is hard to know where to draw the line, but crashing IS a precursor whether on the street or track. I suspect his extreme antics are why Red Bull is allegedly waving a blank check under his nose for 2019. But those folks aren't really here to save your life are they? Someone else needs to cover that topic.

I can't say I'm a fan, but if the measure is "just" the stats, It'd be hard to see how he won't carry that medal! He's still got years ahead of him, should he wish to continue and barring injury too of course.
    Gen 1 Tuono - On loan to a friend who will ride her.
    Tuono V4
    CBR954RR Trackie
    Vespa GTS300 - Sold to a family who will love her.

Stay in one piece, Marc!

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar

Goat

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    Stay in one piece, Marc!

I guess we just have to wait. But he seems to have the correct balance of exuberance, skill and poise
    present
    Now a Gen2 "Factory" Tuono
    Last "Nera" RSVR sold to a good home pictured

5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

If he stays with Repsol/HRC, yes! He’s got years ahead of him. Best rider, best bike, best opportunity for favorable rules.

Tdawg, I do agree about this motorcycle...it's like he is hardwired to it. Would this be transferrable to other motorcycles? Not assurred by any means.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast