Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V85?

V85?

No discussion of this here yet?
    Professional Goat Burster.

Piaggio, please make a new incarnation of the '76-77 850 Le Mans Mk I. Make it as high quality in execution and performance as the new Triumph Thruxtons. Don't bother with customer "clinics" and opinion gathering. Stop wasting time. Just make the effing thing. You can thank me later, Mr. Colannino! I'll take mine in the metallic sky blue with fluoro red bikini flash.

That ADV makes me yawn, sorry Pete.

Oh and PS: modern Öhlins piggyback rear shocks and even a USD fork are okay. And forged wheels too which fit current sport rubber. We want this thing serious...you owe us that much.

Final thing, don't show up with less power than the original!

The original made 52-54 at the rear wheel. That should be doable.

They're estimating 80CV at the crankshaft stock, if it could wrinkle the pavement with an available 70...awesome.

Make it a premium piece, not a parts-bin special like the current models. It can be a little more limited edition like the originals. Go upscale with forged wheels and premium suspenders to make the most of that moderate power. Radial front calipers OK. Heck, an LED headlight in a flat black nacelle would add modern flair and lumens.

I know Miguel Galluzzi is a busy guy, but next weekend I'm near Pasadena and can happily pen this thing for them!!!

No silly shite like alloy tank straps, fork boots, or cheapo wire wheels. NO!

We are NOT making it for hipster softies who are broke-dick because they bought a $1000 iPhone. NOT built down to a price. NO!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Front engine mounts no longer in the timing chest Pete?

Comparatively minor detail. It's what's under the rocker covers and the ECM and associated stuff that is important. There have been hints in the castings of the V9 of what *may* be planned but so far we have no info on how this 'Completely re-designed' engine differs from current smallblocks. 4V almost certainly but the deal breaker will be whether it's a Hi-Cam or alternative. If it's just a Lario type re-hash it will be an epic fail.

Before anyone starts I really want this to work, but to do so it has to be a step forward, not a step backwards.

Pete

The concept bike has a stylized eagle across its headlights. Who thinks that stuff up? Please stop!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B24D1865-4DA5-480D-99BF-F32AE761E7A9.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	346065  

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I fear that it is just a styling exercise using a tarted up V9 motor which is actually closer to 850cc than 900cc. Even pushrods 4V heads would be fine for the relatively low rpm design but the TB bore size and ECU need a massive update from existing hardware. I guess part of my lack of enthusiasm for The Scrambler type of bike after the massive failure of the V7 Stornello here in USA at least. Guzzi needs to thoroughly modernize similar to how bmw has done with the water cooled flat Twin. It doesn’t need to drown bike in electronics normtech, just a modern updated useable and easily serviceable package.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Micah and Pete, in the run up to EICMA the hot Guzzi rumor was the intro of a new motor with watercooled heads and maybe cylinders, similar to BMW's "precision cooling" concept. Whether that prediction was outright wrong, or that motor is still coming soon...who knows.

I'm hoping this offering is a stopgap. Even with 4V heads, which the V9 casting is obviously equipped to use, 80HP, which seems to be some sort of holy grail for some people, will not be attainable at the rear wheel and I doubt at the crank.

The smallblock as we know it has reached its design limits. It can't be stroked because the rod bolts will biff the cast in windage plate in the sump and the cam lobes. It can't be bored because of the stud patern and the position of the tappet guides. The connecting rods themselves are pretty weedy and upping the engine speed is challenged by this, the mass of the valvetrain, bearing sizes, oil capacity and the inherent strength of the crankcases that were originally designed to take 25-30 HP!

There has to be something else in the pipeline or Guzzi are fucked.

Pete

My first instinct was to like the bike, and I think I still do. What I was hoping for was something to replace the Capo, but I don't think this is it.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Current: 2015 Caponord, 2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
    Gone: 2009 Aprilia Mana 850,
    2001 Aprilia Scarabeo 50,
    2002 Futura

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    I had a friend who had a European unobtainable 850 Le Mans full faired carbon fiber version

yes a griso based / thruxton competitor
    present
    Now a Gen2 "Factory" Tuono
    Last "Nera" RSVR sold to a good home pictured

5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

I like it! If they can build an “adventure’ bike that has 70HP ish (bit less is OK), and more important is “reasonably” light, not too bulky and with decent fuel range (a 23=L tank) then I would be a sure candidate. But as Pete suggests, I’d be skeptical if it were based on the V35/50/65/7/9 platform.

I really like the new SWM (Husky). 160kg, 19L tank, sensible standard accessories.

http://www.swmmotorcycles.com.au/swm...sie-adventure/
    2013 Tuono APRC ABS
    1982 LeMans Mk3

Always leave people better than you found them!
    Ever wondered what your life would be like if you chose trust rather than fear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast