Thread: New Gabro chip installed

apriliaforum newb

Thumbs up New Gabro chip installed

Awesome! Acceleration much improved. Goes harder and sounds better when doing it :-) The best thing though is the rideability at small throttle changes. Cornering is a joy with this level of control. Totally transformed the bike.

Grazie grazie.

Ok, you convinced me, it sound great. Although I'm pretty sure this has been covered numerous times in the forum but, can you please shed some more light for the Falco newbies like myself ?
    Where can you purchase it ? How much ? how do you ask it ? do you need to have/do any other mods ? is it an easy install ? What do I need to careful ?
    It is not that I don't want to search the forum to find the answers, i have checked some posts already but it's always confusing when you go through old posts.
    Either way I hope you enjoy your new toy !
    Mine is an all original no mods 2000 model.

apriliaforum Member
    My throttle response is significantly improved. Good mod!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisz View Post
    Ok, you convinced me, it sound great. Although I'm pretty sure this has been covered numerous times in the forum but, can you please shed some more light for the Falco newbies like myself ?
    Where can you purchase it ? How much ? how do you ask it ? do you need to have/do any other mods ? is it an easy install ? What do I need to careful ?
    It is not that I don't want to search the forum to find the answers, i have checked some posts already but it's always confusing when you go through old posts.
    Either way I hope you enjoy your new toy !
    Mine is an all original no mods 2000 model.
    I second this. Im also verry interested.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    You get the chip from Gabro by private messaging him. It's a bloody bargain considering the difference it makes. He accepts paypal which worked well for me. You need min 10 posts to PM him. Gabro supplies with a map that matches your bike mods so it is no issue if you have a fully standard bike. Gabro can supply with two maps so if you know you plan to get aftermarket pipes or do the airbox mod he can put that on the chip for later. Same price so makes sense.

In terms of how easy to fit? Pretty easy with a couple of gotchas. You remove the seat and the rear seat cover or seat. You unplug the two wiring harnesses in to the ecm. You need to be careful in removing these to make sure you don't yank the wiring out. I used a flat bladed screwdriver to gently ease out the plugs. You should then be able to manouvere the ECM out the back towards the luggage space. 4 screws open the ECM. You very carefuly remove the existing chip using a non-conductive tool. Ease it out one end and another nice and gentle and just a little bit at a time each side. Note the orientation of the chip. There is a mark that shows the orientation and most likely the chip writing will match but the mark is the real thing. Get it wrong and your new chip is dead so be certain. Gently insert the new Gabro one. At this stage the job is done but you should now retune the trim pots and throttle bodies. Trim pots are set to 12:00 o'clock as a starting point. Turning them clockwise richens up the mixture. Gabro did a sticky post in the 1000cc FAQ forum that shows how to idle tune a Gen 1. Redo everything up again.

Step 2 go out and enjoy. Don't do what I did though. Decided to see if I could pop a wheelie easily with the new chip. The answer was "Oh sheeeeeeeeeeet!". I used my nads as airbags when I came crashing back down. Brown pants time. Need more practice once the swelling goes down ;-)

Thanks Rubes, much appreciated. Have fun and stay safe. Now only 7 posts left before pm messaging

thanks for the kind words ruben!

this falco chip of mine is still doing wonders after 10 years from it's creation!
    ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    www.gabroracingteam.it

Visit my FB page and like it!
    https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam

Thank you so much for all those infos Rubes, much appreciated.
    I think i have to PM Gabro soon

Oh yes, get one more ready for me Mr Gabro, Sounds like a great Christmas present...

6 more to go
    Last edited by chrisz; 11-16-2017 at 04:50 PM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I'm tempted, too. Maybe my Falco is unusually well behaved but it trickles along on a whiff of throttle with a smooth transition through the rev range. Its the FIRST FI system I have encountered that is as good as a carburated engine. I'll go with the flow and take a punt, but I hope its as good as you all say, so far, I am honestly amazed at the Falco's performance. Let's see if the fresher RSV engine I'm fitting drives as well.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by jdugen View Post
    I'm tempted, too. Maybe my Falco is unusually well behaved but it trickles along on a whiff of throttle with a smooth transition through the rev range. Its the FIRST FI system I have encountered that is as good as a carburated engine. I'll go with the flow and take a punt, but I hope its as good as you all say, so far, I am honestly amazed at the Falco's performance. Let's see if the fresher RSV engine I'm fitting drives as well.
    Itís possible you already have a different chip? They are a popular mod and there were a few alternatives out there. Only takes 5 mins to check.