Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter riders?

apriliaforum Member coolonthecoast's Avatar

Winter riders?

With apologies to our friends in the Southern hemisphere who are currently enjoying Springtime and in warmer more southerly areas here in the Northern hemisphere, I was wondering who has already 'mothballed' their bike/s for winter and who perhaps rides all year round, regardless of what the weather brings? I myself have for many years now consigned my bikes to the garage from the end of October until the beginning of March and sometimes April. It was different matter when I was young. My bike then was my sole form of transport and (like it or not) I had to use it all year round or stay at home. Perhaps you were in the same boat back then? Nowadays I would assume most of us use their motorbike/s as leisure items. I do have a couple of mates who don't drive cars and therefore use their bikes, or if its really bad public transport, through the winter months. This year, I've kept the Caponord road legal, at least for this month November, as the weather where I live has been quite benign this Autumn so far and I hope to get out on the bike at least a couple more occasions before the really bad weather hits, although as any of you who live in the Uk will know, we've had several mild winters in a row recently. 'Bad' weather in most of the UK isn't a patch on say a Canadian winter in the centre of the Continent. I do envy those of you who live in the Southern US, Northern Australia and other places who can ride in comfort and warmth all year round.
    Last edited by coolonthecoast; 11-11-2017 at 03:53 AM.
    1200 Capo Travel Pack and a '85 Honda VF1000RF.

Not the weather that puts me off but the salt they spread all over the roads. Bike stays road legal just in case.

apriliaforum Member
    In south east Australia itís not the winters that are hard (can be very cold, esp wind chill, but bearable) itís the height of summer when 40C days are becoming more common.

But having lived thru two British winters I would not be rushing out to ride, especially with the lack of light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbyter View Post
    Not the weather that puts me off but the salt they spread all over the roads.
    Ah yes, the dreaded rock salt, no respector of chrome,alloy or any metallic exposed surface come to that. I was sure there was a time when car exhaust manufacturers made ex gratia payments to the local councils in order to get them to spread more of the stuff on our roads in the winter months! Lol.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I enjoy a nice winter ride out, it's just I'm petrified of the salt destroying my bike!

Too nice to miss so had an hour out.

I had a little run out on the push bike today as the weather was so nice. And no, I don't wear the lycra MAMIL uniform and refuse to pull over when a vehicle comes up behind, I just have an old Sturmey Archer 3 speed sit up and beg bike, but it was nice to be out and about on two wheels. If its nice again tomorrow I may venture out on the Capo.

apriliaforum Member
    I live in the mountains of Idaho and we have already had a snowfall that is sticking. So heading out over a snow floor isn’t an option for me. It will be April before I am able to ride in all probability.
    Two weeks ago it was in the sixties and now in the high 30s.

I'm guessing you guys can have fun on snow mobiles during the winter. All we get here (snow wise) is about an inch of slush that rapidly turns grey.

apriliaforum Member
    Snow mobiles are very popular here since we get so much snow in the winter. I am an alpine skier and don’t own a snowmobile but have been on them and it’s fun in a different sort of way than motorcycles.

Northern Panhandle (we have two) of WV here.. Starting to get cold enough for flurrys now.. I'm hoping we get a weekend of 60f(15c) weather for one more long distance ride. We're also dealing with Daylight Savings Time.. Yep! We had to adjust our clocks so it gets dark at 5:00pm now..
    When the Capo gets put away, the bicycles will continue to get ridden through the winter.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdbandkab View Post
    Northern Panhandle (we have two) of WV here.. Starting to get cold enough for flurrys now.. I'm hoping we get a weekend of 60f(15c) weather for one more long distance ride. We're also dealing with Daylight Savings Time.. Yep! We had to adjust our clocks so it gets dark at 5:00pm now..
    When the Capo gets put away, the bicycles will continue to get ridden through the winter.
    Yea this panhandle gets dark at 420 now thanks to the end of
    daylight saving time. Soon to be 330.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by coolonthecoast View Post
    Ah yes, the dreaded rock salt, no respector of chrome,alloy or any metallic exposed surface come to that. I was sure there was a time when car exhaust manufacturers made ex gratia payments to the local councils in order to get them to spread more of the stuff on our roads in the winter months! Lol.
    I made the mistake of venturing out on a salted road last winter and did not wash the bike down quick enough.............Surface rust on chain in about 48hrs.... ............and the ends of the brake lines don't look so good either.. It isn't the riding in winter I dislike so much as the need to wash the bike thoroughly in temps close to zero celcius
    In UK
    1973 Honda C90
    1975 Suzuki GT185
    1976 Yamaha RD350 air cooled
    1978 Suzuki GT500
    In Australia
    1982 Yamaha XT500
    1984 Yamaha XT550
    Yamaha XS650
    Yamaha XS400
    1985 Yamaha XS750
    Yamaha XJ900
    1986 Suzuki GSX750ES
    1987 Ducati Pantah 600
    Kawasaki Z900
    Lost license
    1989 Honda CB250RS
    In India
    2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 350
    2004 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    In UK
    2015 Triumph Scrambler
    2016 Aprilia Caponord TP

Its a good point Chris, the cold isn't really an issue in itself, modern biking gear makes it possible to ride much longer in cold and damp conditions than the old days when you probably had an old Barbour or Belstaff waxed jacket and leggings. Salt may keep the roads ice free but its horrible stuff re corrosion . The other issue around here is the mud and crap dragged out of the fields on tractor wheels. I'm not blaming the farmers, they have to plough the fields etc. and a certain amount of mud is inevitable, but we all know that sinking feeling when you come around a corner to find the road surface covered in clods of soil and mud. Bad enough in the car, but potentially lethal on two wheels.
    Last edited by coolonthecoast; 11-13-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Here in SE Texas we are just getting some good riding weather, albeit the short days limit weekday rides unless you commute. We generally ride all winter, only giving up the ghost when raining or below 0 C. It's the summer which for us lasts from May to October that is unpleasant. 35 C days and 100% humidity make it unbearable to ride unless really early or really late.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Current: 2015 Caponord, 2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
    Gone: 2009 Aprilia Mana 850,
    2001 Aprilia Scarabeo 50,
    2002 Futura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast