Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Riding Across Australia

Quote Originally Posted by flossy View Post
    look out for the hitchhiker in the fishnet stockings, if you see that you know its time for a rest,
    Or the nullabor nymph, especially around eucla

We crossed the Nullabor in Xmas 76 as a family holiday traveling from Sydney to Perth in the V8 HQ Kingswood towing the 15ft Millard Caravan. 500 Kilometeres of often corrugated dirt road and frequented by road trains that would stir up red dust for as far as you could see. I remember we stopped in Eucla and the water was so hard you couldn’t get a lather up.

Dad as he always did and as an Auto Electrician by trade, packed a bunch of spares including a replacement distributor and alternator, plugs and leads, fan belts and radiator hoses, fuel and air filters etc. The only mishap was that one of the exhaust pipes broke at a weld prior to the first muffler on the dirt section and the fix was a beer can with the ends cut off and up through the middle and some fencing wire to secure in place either side of the break, both found on the side of the road where we had stopped. He of course had good quality tin snips.

Sometimes you think you can prepare for everything and you haven’t.

Sometimes you can prepare for everything and still not have
    2013 Tuono APRC ABS
    1982 LeMans Mk3

Always leave people better than you found them!
    Ever wondered what your life would be like if you chose trust rather than fear?

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by OZSLR View Post
    We crossed the Nullabor in Xmas 76 as a family holiday traveling from Sydney to Perth in the V8 HQ Kingswood towing the 15ft Millard Caravan. 500 Kilometeres of often corrugated dirt road and frequented by road trains that would stir up red dust for as far as you could see. I remember we stopped in Eucla and the water was so hard you couldn’t get a lather up.

Dad as he always did and as an Auto Electrician by trade, packed a bunch of spares including a replacement distributor and alternator, plugs and leads, fan belts and radiator hoses, fuel and air filters etc. The only mishap was that one of the exhaust pipes broke at a weld prior to the first muffler on the dirt section and the fix was a beer can with the ends cut off and up through the middle and some fencing wire to secure in place either side of the break, both found on the side of the road where we had stopped. He of course had good quality tin snips.

Sometimes you think you can prepare for everything and you haven’t.

Sometimes you can prepare for everything and still not have
    Its one of my bucket list things I'm going to do, is drive into part of the Australian desert, its a long time thing I've wanted to do.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

A little like this Dave ,up early not a soul in sight all day Flinders Ranges and shot around South OZ Perth well I'm too Old now .
    Name:  Flinders.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  243.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    A little like this Dave ,up early not a soul in sight all day Flinders Ranges and shot around South OZ Perth well I'm too Old now .
    Name:  Flinders.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  243.2 KB
    Yip maddad, but id take (like) a 4WD type camper ute, I've just got back from a bit of a 2 week test trip from the Brisbane area, just wanted to make sure cooped up with the misses would be doable, and it was, and she's keen to do a big trip, so arse up, knuckle down and do some work, say at least 3 or more days a week, and save, it will be a winter trip for us. The desert really appeals to me, i have a mate that keeps a ktm 990, over in Aus, and does many rides through the centre of Aus, he's asked me many of times to go with him, but i want to do it with the wife, sort of share the adventure together.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

PS Maddad, don't you dare think your too old. Today I'm heading over to Rotorua with a few other friends to catch up with a mate, the same guy who keeps a 990ktm in Aus, he's nearly 70, this guy has ridden and push biked so many countries around the world, and the most radical of places, he recently did Russia, on his 690ktm, with all his camping gear and a push bike mounted on his 690 (for part of the journey) he's inspirational, looking forward to seeing him tonight, and staying, having a few beers amongst other things, and catching up with his latest adventures.

Was looking at a thread on RSV4 section and plenty of riders there are over 70.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    It's only a couple of highways that are unlimited and you have to be super-alert as you don't want to embed yourself in the side of a camel or steer at 220kph!

All very straight roads and boring as batshit. Me and a mate are doing a 'Lap' of Oz next year. Upon the north west 1,000 Km days are expected. There's a whole lot of nuthin' up there apart from scrub, mines, crocs and roadkill.......

When I did the lap back in 2011, i went anti clockwise, and as the roads straighten out towards the west of QLD, the scenery gets amazing.

Same into NT and WA, amazing scenery makes up for the straight roads.

I don't use music when riding normally but i did in those areas , as it helps to keep you alert up there.

Even though the roads are not twisty , unless you're on a super tourer, higher speed = more fatigue, so doing thousand km in a day is not always practical.

also , HEAT , the heat up north is intense and should not be underestimated, more frequent stops for fluid are needed..

DONT forget Wet season...November until april (ish) so best to travel outside of those timess, I went in July - september.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kakadu.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	346918

music

Name:	music.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	346919

I saw this guy on the road near esperance in WA

Name:	trooper.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	346920

Name:	outback.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	346921
    Last edited by stu_h; 11-24-2017 at 10:47 PM.
    ================================
    Stu's travels
    Youtube channel

Nice pic I think we got him wound up nowYes saw a Kiwi girl pushing a pram across South Aus and into the desert i don't know whether she got out but the Locals are sick of trying to find people .

Lots of crazy people think they can ride a pushbike thru the simpson desert in mid summer without comunications or backup. Normally asians and europeans and they hope there is water in the billabongs along the way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123