Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenFlash Tablet Official Dyno Results 6: 2017 RSV4 RF

apriliaforum Member

OpenFlash Tablet Official Dyno Results 6: 2017 RSV4 RF

Hi guys,
    A couple days ago we wrapped up our Stage 2 off-the-shelf (OTS) calibration for the 2017 RSV4. Test bike was an RF with just 900 miles on the clock. The bike came to us with an Akrapovic slip-on and Race ECU installed. Since the owner is from CA, getting the Race ECU calibration involved taking the bike to Nevada which was a real hassle and another story all in itself. All testing was done on CA91 fuel (up to 10% ethanol).

We were unable to baseline the bike in 100% stock trim since it already had the slip-on installed and the exhaust valve servo motor removed. So for our purpose the baseline is with he Race ECU and Akra slip-on where it put down a solid 174hp. For comparison purposes, this is nearly identical to what we saw with the 2016 RSV4 with slip-on and Race ECU. And a bit more than the 2017 and 2016 Tuonos which made around 158 and 155hp respectively with Race ECU and slip-on.

After a couple days of tuning each individual cylinder for fuel, remapping spark advance tables, removing torque limiters, adjusting throttle limiters, etc,. we were able to extract another 11hp for a total of 185hp. More importantly, we picked up nice torque gains from as early as 5000rpm. Peak torque gains are right in the midrange which makes the gains very noticeable on the road:

One this particular dyno, that is the most power we have seen on a modern 1000cc super bike. For comparison, here is the best run of the RF compared to the best run of a tuned 2016 BMW S1000RR (Bren ECU flash and Akra Slip-on):

I have added this Stage 2 calibration into our database of OTS tune files that come preloaded in our OpenFlash Tablet. Customers will also get the Race ECU calibration so that those with the standard ECU has try both tunes and feel the difference.

Just in case it is still not clear, there is NO need to have a Race ECU installed. You will see the same performance if you installed the OFT on top of a stock ECU.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask
    In the Garage:
    2017 Tuono Factory
    2016 KTM RC390
    2015 KTM 1290 Superduke R
    2014 RSV4 R
    2011 Ferrari 458
    2013 Scion FR-S
    2016 AMG GT S
    2016 Mazda MX5
    2016 Mazda CX5
    2017 Charger Hellcat
    OpenFlash Tablet
    Free Tunes || 3-Touch Programming || Digital Gauge Displays || Datalogging || Handheld Convenience || No Laptop Required

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Awesome -- thanks for the status and sharing the results!

Can you talk about the specific changes you made in this "v1.0" version? And what changes you plan to make in the future?

Optimizing the torque and power curves are great, though I also think a certain fraction of consumers are also interested in improving overall ride-ability/smoothness of the bike with an aftermarket exhaust.

apriliaforum newb
    They really are crazy gains considering that they look to be mainly drawn from AFR optimization on a map which was already meant to be tuned for the pipe.

apriliaforum expert
    Hi Shiv!Do you think that the 16RF would have made the same power of you had the opportunity to run it with the Akrapovic slip on that time you tested?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenFlash View Post

Hi guys,
    A couple days ago we wrapped up our Stage 2 off-the-shelf (OTS) calibration for the 2017 RSV4. Test bike was an RF with just 900 miles on the clock. The bike came to us with an Akrapovic slip-on and Race ECU installed. Since the owner is from CA, getting the Race ECU calibration involved taking the bike to Nevada which was a real hassle and another story all in itself. All testing was done on CA91 fuel (up to 10% ethanol).

We were unable to baseline the bike in 100% stock trim since it already had the slip-on installed and the exhaust valve servo motor removed. So for our purpose the baseline is with he Race ECU and Akra slip-on where it put down a solid 174hp. For comparison purposes, this is nearly identical to what we saw with the 2016 RSV4 with slip-on and Race ECU. And a bit more than the 2017 and 2016 Tuonos which made around 158 and 155hp respectively with Race ECU and slip-on.

After a couple days of tuning each individual cylinder for fuel, remapping spark advance tables, removing torque limiters, adjusting throttle limiters, etc,. we were able to extract another 11hp for a total of 185hp. More importantly, we picked up nice torque gains from as early as 5000rpm. Peak torque gains are right in the midrange which makes the gains very noticeable on the road:

One this particular dyno, that is the most power we have seen on a modern 1000cc super bike. For comparison, here is the best run of the RF compared to the best run of a tuned 2016 BMW S1000RR (Bren ECU flash and Akra Slip-on):

I have added this Stage 2 calibration into our database of OTS tune files that come preloaded in our OpenFlash Tablet. Customers will also get the Race ECU calibration so that those with the standard ECU has try both tunes and feel the difference.

Just in case it is still not clear, there is NO need to have a Race ECU installed. You will see the same performance if you installed the OFT on top of a stock ECU.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask
    I'm interested and ready to buy.. I have the 2017 RF with race ECU and SC project slip on,I want to download this stage 2 into my ECU.. Is this just plug and play? No need to go to dealer for re learn procedure correct? I look forward to doing business with you..Scott
    NIZE.........

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklyn86 View Post
    Awesome -- thanks for the status and sharing the results!

Can you talk about the specific changes you made in this "v1.0" version? And what changes you plan to make in the future?

Optimizing the torque and power curves are great, though I also think a certain fraction of consumers are also interested in improving overall ride-ability/smoothness of the bike with an aftermarket exhaust.
    Our primary goal is to improve engine smoothness and flexibility. The nice side effect of that is more power just about everywhere. For upcoming versions of our OTS tune files, expect to see some tunes specifically for non-Ethanol fuels and for high octane race gas. We will also be playing around with throttle mapping and engine braking changes. But we didn't want to make too many changes for our first OTS tune release since a lot of this stuff is subjective.
    In the Garage:
    2017 Tuono Factory
    2016 KTM RC390
    2014 RSV4 R
    2011 Ferrari 458
    2013 Scion FR-S
    2016 AMG GT S
    2016 Mazda MX5
    2016 Mazda CX5
    2017 Charger Hellcat
    OpenFlash Tablet
    Free Tunes || 3-Touch Programming || Digital Gauge Displays || Datalogging || Handheld Convenience || No Laptop Required

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by testiesalmon View Post
    They really are crazy gains considering that they look to be mainly drawn from AFR optimization on a map which was already meant to be tuned for the pipe.
    A few hp was realized by bumping ignition advance 2-2.5 deg at high RPM. And some nice low end/mid-range gains came from increasing the max throttle limits. But yes, balancing fuel on all 4 cylinders was the major contributor to power gains
    In the Garage:
    2017 Tuono Factory
    2016 KTM RC390
    2014 RSV4 R
    2011 Ferrari 458
    2013 Scion FR-S
    2016 AMG GT S
    2016 Mazda MX5
    2016 Mazda CX5
    2017 Charger Hellcat
    OpenFlash Tablet

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by murphc13 View Post
    Hi Shiv!Do you think that the 16RF would have made the same power of you had the opportunity to run it with the Akrapovic slip on that time you tested?
    I'm not really sure to be honest. I think the 2017 RSV4 make power power than the 2016 RSV4 in stock form. And then when tuned, the delta seem to grow even more. This been the case with the 2017 Tuono as well.
    In the Garage:
    2017 Tuono Factory
    2016 KTM RC390
    2014 RSV4 R
    2011 Ferrari 458
    2013 Scion FR-S
    2016 AMG GT S
    2016 Mazda MX5
    2016 Mazda CX5
    2017 Charger Hellcat
    OpenFlash Tablet

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotman623 View Post
    I'm interested and ready to buy.. I have the 2017 RF with race ECU and SC project slip on,I want to download this stage 2 into my ECU.. Is this just plug and play? No need to go to dealer for re learn procedure correct? I look forward to doing business with you..Scott
    Yes, it is 100% plug and play. I have preloaded Race ECU calibrations and Stage 2 tune files in all the OFTS that are shipping out. No need to go to the dealer since the OFT itself is able to execute the Throttle/Handling Reset command. So that means no need for Guzzidiag either
    In the Garage:
    2017 Tuono Factory
    2016 KTM RC390
    2014 RSV4 R
    2011 Ferrari 458
    2013 Scion FR-S
    2016 AMG GT S
    2016 Mazda MX5
    2016 Mazda CX5
    2017 Charger Hellcat
    OpenFlash Tablet

Just ordered mine yesterday. Looking forward to receiving my new OFT, and gaining some extra HP, and tor.

Stan

Yes, it is 100% p

lug and play. I have preloaded Race ECU calibrations and Stage 2 tune files in all the OFTS that are shipping out. No need to go to the dealer since the OFT itself is able to execute the Throttle/Handling Reset command. So that means no need for Guzzidiag either

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Yes, it is 100% plug and play. I have preloaded Race ECU calibrations and Stage 2 tune files in all the OFTS that are shipping out. No need to go to the dealer since the OFT itself is able to execute the Throttle/Handling Reset command. So that means no need for Guzzidiag either
    AWESOME!! I will be buying 1 this week!
    NIZE.........

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stan1 View Post
    Just ordered mine yesterday. Looking forward to receiving my new OFT, and gaining some extra HP, and tor.
    Stan
    Thanks for the order! I'm out of stock, until next week but once they arrive, i'll be shipping all pending orders
    In the Garage:
    2017 Tuono Factory
    2016 KTM RC390
    2014 RSV4 R
    2011 Ferrari 458
    2013 Scion FR-S
    2016 AMG GT S
    2016 Mazda MX5
    2016 Mazda CX5
    2017 Charger Hellcat
    OpenFlash Tablet

apriliaforum Member
    Very cool. Can your tablet also adjust engine braking and TC settings? IE like the Corse ECU which has reduced engine braking and less invasive TC settings built in? With your Race map does it include the reduced engine braking? Thanks!

apriliaforum expert
    I on the other hand like engine braking!Does your 16RF map adjust the engine braking from the stock factory map(not race map)

I have a 2017 rsv4 RF with sc project pipe and stock ecu, i am intrested in this also. I have no special skills with this so your saying that i can do this myself and achive result very close to what you put up? Also will it allow me to delete my servo?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by brian2017; 11-15-2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast