Thread: After installing new carburetor, bike won't start right away

apriliaforum newb

Angry After installing new carburetor, bike won't start right away

Hi y'all,

So I'm having this issue on my 2005 Sportcity 200:

My old carburetor was leaking and I found a NOS carburetor on eBay and bought it.

After installing it, the bike would not start right away after many tries. It previously started immediately, BTW.

I then thought of switching on the bike without hitting the start button for 2 minutes and low an behold, it would start right away.

This happens every single time, I switch it on, then after 2 minutes, I hit the start button and it starts immediately. I have the bike in a warm weather location with little humidity.

I suspect that the issue has to do with the eChoke because after being switched on, the eChoke closes up (or opens?) and this causes the bike to start right away.

My question is, do you guys know if the eChoke can be adjusted somehow? Perhaps to have less or more tension? This bike does not have a manual choke, by the way.

The only difference I noticed between the old and the new carburetor is that the eChoke top white cap that threads to the top is not threaded all the way in (I think the new one is). I've indicated the location of this on the pic of the old carb, but I do not have a picture of the new carburetor, but I think this is threaded all the way in on the new carb (hard to tell because the new one has the cover that the old one is missing).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aprilia_Sportcity_Carburetor_OLD-sm.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	338.9 KB 
ID:	345804

Does anyone know what to do here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers!

apriliaforum prov-nov RavenMana's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eframsergio View Post
    Hi y'all,

So I'm having this issue on my 2005 Sportcity 200:

My old carburetor was leaking and I found a NOS carburetor on eBay and bought it.

After installing it, the bike would not start right away after many tries. It previously started immediately, BTW.

I then thought of switching on the bike without hitting the start button for 2 minutes and low an behold, it would start right away.

This happens every single time, I switch it on, then after 2 minutes, I hit the start button and it starts immediately. I have the bike in a warm weather location with little humidity.

I suspect that the issue has to do with the eChoke because after being switched on, the eChoke closes up (or opens?) and this causes the bike to start right away.

My question is, do you guys know if the eChoke can be adjusted somehow? Perhaps to have less or more tension? This bike does not have a manual choke, by the way.

The only difference I noticed between the old and the new carburetor is that the eChoke top white cap that threads to the top is not threaded all the way in (I think the new one is). I've indicated the location of this on the pic of the old carb, but I do not have a picture of the new carburetor, but I think this is threaded all the way in on the new carb (hard to tell because the new one has the cover that the old one is missing).

Name:	Aprilia_Sportcity_Carburetor_OLD-sm.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	338.9 KB 
ID:	345804

Does anyone know what to do here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers!
    I had the same issue and bought a new electric choke that I had to tighten the cap down. The threaded cap is tight. That should help keep the needle down into the jet opening to close off the extra fuel once the coil pushes the needle out, or down into the carb. I think it takes 1.5 to 2 minutes to fully extend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    Hey thanks for the quick reply! I will try that this weekend. I can always use the choke from the old carb too and see what happens. I will also post pics of the new carb to see the difference between the threaded cap positions.

Cheers!

apriliaforum prov-nov Pinkscoot's Avatar
    You probably need to adjust your Air/fuel mixture. If its too rich then it will make it hard to start until the choke closes. Its the screw in the lower left corner. it is usually set 1 1/2 turns out as a starting point. The other problem could be that your choke isn't secure tight enough and its letting air in until it closes. just my 2 cents.

apriliaforum newb
    Hey thanks for the tip. I'll check that out as well. As far as the air/fuel mixture screw, I've adjusted that several times. It was out about 2 1/2 turns and it had a hard time starting too, but after adjusting it to about 1/4 turn out, it worked much better than any other setting.

Cheers!

That would make sense because it seems like you are too rich with the Autochoke on. You may need to drop the size of the pilot jet or put the one from your old carb in.

apriliaforum newb
    Good point, I'll look into that as well. Thanks a lot!

apriliaforum expert
    If the enrichener is not set completely into its well it will take longer for the wax in it to heat up and extend the needle to close off the port providing the extra fuel. I thought in 2005 the only Aprilia 200 in the USA was the Atlantic.

The enrichener in the picture looks like it was not seated all the way in before they installed the circlip to lock it into place. It does not screw in but gets pressed into place by hand and then a clip is hooked into two holes in the black part of the mount to retain it.

From the pic you can see where the main groove is for the clip to engage and sometimes they get hungup if you don't insert them straight and the circlip get put in to it engages the nose and not the retaining groove.

Are you sure that carb you have pictured is NOS? It looks too dirty and the screw heads too bugged up to be new but more likely lightly used. Could even be a dealer pull due to a defective enrichner.
    Last edited by Rockynv; 11-12-2017 at 10:59 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    Ok, I think I'm going to end this post with a positive conclusion.

BTW, the pic of the carburetor previously attached is of the old one (I've attached a pic of the purchased carb in this reply), so sorry if it wasn't clear. The bike is also an E2, never sold in the US officially.

Name:	Aprilia_Sportcity_Carburetor_CM128202-02.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	346171

Anyway, over the weekend, I was able to gain access to the carburetor and take a closer look. I've attached a pic of the new eChoke and it looks the same as the old one, as far as how far the cap seemed to be screwed in.

Name:	IMG_20171112_183238038_TOP.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	505.2 KB 
ID:	346172

I also took the opportunity to install a cracked intake manifold that I had ordered a while ago and finally arrived. Since I didn't see any way to make adjustments to the eChoke, I just proceeded with the installed intake manifold and the bike started right away.

I had originally wrapped the old intake manifold with silicone tape to cover most of the leaks, but when I removed it over the weekend, I noticed that some of the wrapped tape seemed to have been trapped between the intake and the head and this might have prevented a tight seal.

Name:	IMG_20171112_185702892-sm.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	521.4 KB 
ID:	346174

So my theory is that even though the old carburetor seemed to be working perfectly (except for the leaks), I think that the old intake manifold suffered additional cracks when I installed the new carburetor and this is why the newly installed carburetor did not work as well, due to the intake manifold suffering further damage and the overlapping tape preventing from sitting flat on the head.

It works fine now, so even though the cause of the issue was not what I originally thought, it was a successful repair after all.

Thanks everyone for your input!!!

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171112_185702892.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	517.8 KB 
ID:	346173  

A cracked or leaking intake will cause all sorts of grief. It lets too much air in and causes it to run lean. I think it was what the original issue with the BV250 I'm working on had. There were several places that it was leaking and probably made it a none starter so it just sat for many years.

apriliaforum newb
    Agreed. Hard to believe such an inconspicuous and inexpensive part can be so troublesome. But also if you ask me, the design of that intake manifold is definitely flawed!

The way is designed is in such a way that it holds most of the weigh of the carburetor. And with all the heat and vibration, it's destined to develop cracks sooner or later.

I think your Beverly has an identical design layout as mine. This is such a critical part that I would recommend anyone having similar issues, with a several year old intake manifold, to replace it right away as the first point of attack.

I think mine was caused by age and abuse. You need to be gentle mounting the carb into it, of course the carb is a tight fit so it can be a problem.