Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: juddering

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have booked the bike in on the 9th of Jan for the juddering so we will see what they find

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Well I had some shocking news from my Dealer today after stripping down the belt drive on my Mana, I was invited to go and look at my bike bits, Robinsons Foundry who changed the belt last year failed to line up the drive pins on one half of the drive pulley correctly which sheared two of them off and shagged the dog clutch causing the judder under heavier acceleration resulting in a bill of 520 for parts without a new belt, some of the parts are on back order and the labor charge on top of about 120, as the belt change by Robinsons Foundry was about 10 months ago I do not think I would have any redress over it so I will just have to lump it :-( Thanks to all for the advice over these posts I expect those who helped are just as surprised as I am at the result.
    Keith

Ouch, not good. Any chance of a photo so we can see what to watch out for?
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

Jesus wept!
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    That makes depressing reading. Maybe ten months since they did the belt change, but how many miles have you done in that time? I'm sure you have a case against Robinsons Foundry's unprofessional work. Any decent company should at the very least waive the labour charge.
    Al.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I am afraid that seems not to be the case, they have said they did not need to take that part apart, but they would ! they are also saying it must be a component failing, but that was the first belt change at 10,000 miles so are they saying it has been like that from new ??
    I have done less that 400 miles since I bought it as it is one of three bikes I own, I do not think that is the case as it was obviously ok before the belt change, I only noticed it when using heavy acceleration from the start off as you would at traffic lights and as I mainly ride two up there is more load on the unit, on light acceleration it was just about smooth, but looking at the parts they are all torn up with two pins out of the three mangled with nothing of the pins left in the holes and the pins do not appear to have been located correctly you can also see where the pins have spun if they had been located in the holes there is no way they could of come out,
    so it looks like I will have to lump it,
    I do not think I would get anywhere if I had a go at Aprilia either as the bike has done 10,000 miles, The Dealer I bought it from "Evolution motorcycles in Kent" have been very good and offered 100 towards the cost which is very nice of him as he has had nothing to do with the belt change it was done by the previous owner just prior to trading it to them, but this has come to light after the warranty expired as I have not used the bike very much in that period.
    Keith

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi Andy,
    I am afraid the bike is at the Dealers so no photos but when the rear cone was split you could see the damage down the shaft hole on the inner cone, the shaft and spline was fine by the way.
    Keith

apriliaforum newb
    Take Robinsons to the small claims court. It'll cost you nothing or very little and the decision is legally enforceable.

You paid for work that was shoddy. It worked fine before and you can demonstrate limited mileage since.

As you describe it they are guilty as he'l and shouldn't get away with it. That it was 10 months ago is not important. The work was substandard and you can show this.

Sue the bastard!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    well i would if I had paid for the work but it was the last owner just before he traded it possibly why he traded it? I do not think I can make a claim as the second owner Ian, but you would of thought Robinson's would of tried to help if only to support there reputation but they do not want to know.
    Keith

apriliaforum newb
    Technically, your contract is with whoever you paid money to. If this was Robinsons, then there is your claim for repairs. That the previous owner paid is not really relevant, your contract is with the person you paid money to,

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi Ian, well the dealer I bought it from had nothing to do with the belt change but I would agree with you apart from the fact the warranty with the dealer I bought it from has run out but in fairness he is prepared to make a donation towards the cost and I can not ask fairer than that.
    Keith

apriliaforum newb
    Keith, be sure before you give up.

Robinsons took your money and put a warranty on a bike that eventually failed. This might have been after the warranty ran out but you can demonstrate 400 miles . I think a court would see this as low mileage.

That Robinsons have offered you a compensation this could amount to an admission of liability. This will depend on the wording of any document you might have signed.

Robinsons can't just walk away; they have to sell you a product of merchantable quality and it seems they didn't.

Go to a small claims court with all your info. It's quick and easy and they'll help you. You don't need a solicitor and you might get a result. Oh, and it's not only easy but it is cheap too.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Ian you misunderstand me perhaps I have not explained it correctly, I bought the bike from a Dealer in Maidstone who has offered a small amount towards the repair as good will, he did not have to as the warranty period was finished, the previous owner had the belt changed by Robinsons just before trading it to the Dealer I bought it from in Maidstone, so as I or the Maidstone dealer did not instruct Robinsons to change the belt I am sure I have no redress on Robinsons only the previous owner would have that, but having said that and having been in touch with Robinsons they have offered no help what so ever in fact they are saying they did not take that part apart which I find hard to believe and so does my Dealer in Kings Lynn who is doing the repairs, so I will just have to bite the bullet and pay for it,
    As a hobby I buy tired bikes do them up to top condition use them and sell them a year or two later, but this bike is in mint condition and after this bill I will just have to keep it and use it as it will not be practical to sell it on as nobody is willing to pay well over the odds for anything and I cant say I blame them :-)
    but as a long shot it would not surprise me if these bikes made money as there are so few of them around and might be collectable in time ?
    Keith.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123