Thread: Tank decals removable?

Tank decals removable?

My Tuono has an earlier steel Mille tank, and I'd like to purchase a stock plastic tank, seal it, and replace the metal tank at some point. I want a plain black tank, but the tanks I've stumbled across have the red Nero paint job R sticker on them. Is this sticker easily removed? I've asked multiple eBay sellers but none have replied. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 1.16.14 PM.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	345646

apriliaforum Member
    No. Its under the clearcoat

Wysłane z mojego HTC Desire 320 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmachine View Post
    No. Its under the clearcoat

Wysłane z mojego HTC Desire 320 przy użyciu Tapatalka
    That's what I feared...thanks for confirming!

apriliaforum Member
    Yes,they can be removed, I've done it and replaced them because they were lifting in places slightly.
    However, as said, they are lacquered. I ended up with a line where the lacquer met the removed decal.
    I used aircraft transparency polishing clothes from Micromesh to polish this line out.
    I then fitted new decals in the originals place. Not perfect but damn near.
    If you intend to remove the decals leaving the tank bare, you'll need to blend in this lacquer line then get the tank re lacquered...not impossible by any means.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by mrk_d View Post
    My Tuono has an earlier steel Mille tank, and I'd like to purchase a stock plastic tank, seal it, and replace the metal tank at some point. I want a plain black tank, but the tanks I've stumbled across have the red Nero paint job R sticker on them. Is this sticker easily removed? I've asked multiple eBay sellers but none have replied. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 1.16.14 PM.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	345646

Hi mrk_d
    Just wondered why you would change your tank from a steal 1 to plastic?
    The poly tanks are prone to swelling I have currently 3 poly tanks and all have swollen i was thinking of getting a metal tank to stop this but having the racing tuono it really needs to be a poly tank.
    It may just be our really poor fuel mix with ethanol over in the UK not sure if you have the same problem in the states..

Aprilia rsvr
    Tuono Racing number 088

Quote Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
    Yes,they can be removed, I've done it and replaced them because they were lifting in places slightly.
    However, as said, they are lacquered. I ended up with a line where the lacquer met the removed decal.
    I used aircraft transparency polishing clothes from Micromesh to polish this line out.
    I then fitted new decals in the originals place. Not perfect but damn near.
    If you intend to remove the decals leaving the tank bare, you'll need to blend in this lacquer line then get the tank re lacquered...not impossible by any means.
    Excellent -- thanks! Good to know I may be able to tackle this without a base coat spray involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Iomtuonoracing View Post
    Hi mrk_d
    Just wondered why you would change your tank from a steal 1 to plastic?
    The poly tanks are prone to swelling I have currently 3 poly tanks and all have swollen i was thinking of getting a metal tank to stop this but having the racing tuono it really needs to be a poly tank.
    It may just be our really poor fuel mix with ethanol over in the UK not sure if you have the same problem in the states..

My gas light doesn't work with the metal tank which is a bit irritating, and I want to return the tank to stock partly because it looks better (the Mille tank should have side shrouds, which I don't have, nor do I want to buy). I plan to completely seal the plastic tank before installing to hopefully mitigate swelling, but I'll probably hang onto the steel tank just in case. I think the plastic tank is a touch lighter too but I could be wrong on that front.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I see I have heard of sealing the tank never thought of doing it though. I just put 1 of mine in the loft as it's really warm
    Aprilia rsvr
    Tuono Racing number 088

Quote Originally Posted by mrk_d View Post
    Excellent -- thanks! Good to know I may be able to tackle this without a base coat spray involved.

My gas light doesn't work with the metal tank which is a bit irritating, and I want to return the tank to stock partly because it looks better (the Mille tank should have side shrouds, which I don't have, nor do I want to buy). I plan to completely seal the plastic tank before installing to hopefully mitigate swelling, but I'll probably hang onto the steel tank just in case. I think the plastic tank is a touch lighter too but I could be wrong on that front.
    what were you going to seal plastic tank with? just curious...
    Once you have ruined your reputation, you can live quite freely

Quote Originally Posted by mwlehman View Post
    what were you going to seal plastic tank with? just curious...
    Caswell epoxy tank sealer. I've read generally good reviews, especially if care is taken during prep and application.