Thread: Searching for history on my 2004 Tuono R

Searching for history on my 2004 Tuono R

I recently purchased my first Aprilia, a 2004 Tuono R (or it could be an RSV) from a used bike dealer in Northern Virginia. I really don't know much about the Aprilia brand at all other than numerous articles that I read prior to buying. Other than knowing that the bike was owned for a couple of years by the dealer's brother in law and not ridden, I really don't know much about the history of the bike and I would like to try to track that information down if I could. In particular, I'd like to find some service records on it and I also want to get an owners manual and a shop manual for it. I have only owned it now for 3 days.

Bike info:
    Vin#ZD4RPC0594S000125
    The in service date is April 4, 2004.
    The color is Nero Darkness with the red wheels.
    Owned at some point by a Christopher David Goodrich and possibly a Ryan Ely.
    I have emailed Piaggio and every dealer listed on Aprilia's website in the US. Still getting responses but nothing helpful yet.

I would love to hear if anyone has knowledge of this particular bike or any helpful hints that might help with my search.

I am a Harley rider, but I am REALLY stoked about this bike!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hey RACER50
    congrats on the purchase they are awesome bikes!!I have never owned a Harley as our roads not meant for those bikes!!!
    I have had my Tuono for around 8 months now and love it. I had the RSVR before and it was truely amazing.
    I live across the pond from you but it sounds like your doing the right things if you could find the original dealer from where it was purchased would be great. Folks normally get at least the first service done by the dealer.
    What sort of mileage is on the bike and what mods does it have and a picture may help jog someones memory..
    good luck with the search though!
    Aprilia rsvr
    Tuono Racing number 088

apriliaforum expert J.R. Bob Dobbs's Avatar
    Welcome fellow Virginian. Harley to Tuono....your world is about to be rocked! I've had many bikes and the first generation T is my favorite for its blend of comfort and performance.
    Jap bikes suck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06561.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	483.0 KB 
ID:	345649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06557.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	468.7 KB 
ID:	345650These are some pics of the bike. It has 23,400 miles. I don't know much about these, but I think it is just a stock bike. I still love my Harley, but I wanted to have a sport bike to play with. The V-Twin motor has a great sound and I love the power and torque!

Looks to be taken care of. AF1 may be able to get you the service history if any was logged in to the Aprilia database for services you could contact them? From what I see they added a Sargent seat, axle sliders, different bar ends, newer chain and sprockets. 16/44 is a popular combination to run. Might want to verify the teeth count 15/42 is stock. Read some of the known issue threads... May want to verify some fixes have been done. Many owners from this form have put over 100K miles on this model so as long as maintenance has been good she will hold up for many years!
    Welcome and enjoy it!
    2003 Tuono (In the garage still!)
    2010 Sachs Madass 125
    2011 Kawasaki Concours 1400
    2013 Tuono V4 Black (Most Addicting bike to ride so far!)

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDR View Post
    Looks to be taken care of. AF1 may be able to get you the service history if any was logged in to the Aprilia database for services you could contact them? From what I see they added a Sargent seat, axle sliders, different bar ends, newer chain and sprockets. 16/44 is a popular combination to run. Might want to verify the teeth count 15/42 is stock. Read some of the known issue threads... May want to verify some fixes have been done. Many owners from this form have put over 100K miles on this model so as long as maintenance has been good she will hold up for many years!
    Welcome and enjoy it!
    17x42 is stock

Wysłane z mojego D2303 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Still trying to track down some history. I have emailed every Aprilia dealer in the U.S. and Canada. So far only two hits. One hit from a dealer in Grand Rapids Michigan where they did a front wheel mount and balance about 4 years ago and another local former dealer that did a clutch bleed about two years ago.

Seems like a lost cause to me. I would just study the maintenance schedule in the owners manual and check everything over that you are able to. One item often overlooked is the rear suspension linkage.

These bikes are extremely reliable and trouble free to the point that some maintenance items are neglected even by dealers.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

apriliaforum expert
    Wrong on those sprockets. Stock in Europe was 17/42. 16/42 is stock in USA. 16/44 is great for all round riding. Makes the bike easier to ride in traffic & better WHEELIES!!
    Don-M

2003 Aprilia Tuono
    2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V Sold it
    2015 EBR1190SX
    1975 Kawasaki Z1

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    Seems like a lost cause to me. I would just study the maintenance schedule in the owners manual and check everything over that you are able to. One item often overlooked is the rear suspension linkage.

These bikes are extremely reliable and trouble free to the point that some maintenance items are neglected even by dealers.
    I have yet to even see an owners manual. I'm trying to locate one of those as well as a shop manual.

This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

I really lucked up. Located the previous owner via facebook and found out that less than 1000 miles ago the bike had a valve adjustment, new battery, new chain, new rear caliper, and new clutch master cylinder. That info really increases my comfort level about the bike. I was getting ready to have the valves adjusted just to be sure. This info came from the dealer that serviced the bike.

apriliaforum expert J.R. Bob Dobbs's Avatar
    Wow, it's good to go for a long time!
    Jap bikes suck.

Thanks for the recommendation. I made the buy and downloaded it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Thunder View Post
    Wrong on those sprockets. Stock in Europe was 17/42. 16/42 is stock in USA. 16/44 is great for all round riding. Makes the bike easier to ride in traffic & better WHEELIES!!
    Checked the back today and it is a 44 on the rear. I don't know about the front yet.