Thread: Seems to cut to one cylinder when accelerating from cold.

apriliaforum newb

Seems to cut to one cylinder when accelerating from cold.

Forgive the plethora of questions, but the Mana is a new to me bike. Today, although starting fine it seemed to cut intermittently to one cylinder as I accelerated away. This went on and off for the first mile or so, riding like a pig, then suddenly ran fine for the rest of my trip, 20 miles or so. After leaving the bike for 10 minutes, I had the same problem again. I thought fouled plug, but I see it runs two per cylinder. The lambda sensor was replaced 1000 miles ago according to the service history. As I've mentioned before, the bike is a 2009, but has only covered 4000 miles from new. Any theories?
    Al.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi bikeralw, well it sounds like a short either on the low tension supply to the coil or the ht side or even a faulty coil, unless it is water in the system, have you pressure washed it and got the electrics wet ? I would have a good look at the connections and test the coil, if you have an induction timing light you could find out which cylinder is having the problem by just clipping it on the ht leads.
    Keith

apriliaforum newb
    Cheers for the reply Keith. No, it's had no water or pressure washer near it, but I'll check out the things you've suggested. I might even replace the plugs while I'm at it. It just seem strange that it pulls like a train once warmed up. While I was fiddling today I checked out the diagnostics. No errors at all on the ECU screens, but an X against 07 and 08 on the dash errors. Looking at the online manual these are both oil pressure related. Faulty pressure switch? I read on here that Pete doesn't rate them. There are no lights showing on the dash when the engine is running. Anyway I cleared the errors and will report on developments.
    Al.

Manifold gasket. Known issue.
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Let us know what you find bikeralw, intermittent problems are a pain to find sometimes.
    Keith

apriliaforum newb
    Manifold gasket. Is there an updated gasket? Ah well, something else to sort out. I also run a Buell Uly, so well used to intermittent faults...
    Do you still ride your Convert Pete? I've had mine 27 years now, last big trip was to Mandello last year. It broke down in Germany, but was fixed by me at the roadside, cooked condensers. The simple life..
    Afraid I've sold my 1100 Griso and Le Mans 1000 to make room for this Mana.
    Al.

Still got the 'Vert but it hasn't turned a wheel in over a decade. Retirement project now. My Mana has been mothballed too for the time being because much though I love it my Griso 12 and Stelvio NTX cover all the bases I currently need.

People ask "Why not sell the Mana?". Well, it's worth nothing, even with all the luggage and hi-spec suspension, I own it, and I can see a time not too many years away when my arthritis may preclude me riding a bike with a clutch!

The Mana is a 'Great Bike', I love it but having three or more bikes registered is a stupid extravagance. I'd rather register the two and use the other money for something useful, to us, or those less fortunate.

Pete

PS. Yes, there was a change or addition. Originally the manifolds were sealed by o-rings, they leaked sometimes when cold. They were replaced or used in addition with paper gaskets on later models.
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    Glad your Convert is still with you Pete, even in retirement mode.. I think my widow will end up selling mine. I also loved my Griso 1100, but when I bought the Buell, I realised how cramped (for me) and revy the Griso was, so when it came to one having to go, despite being the best looking bike on the planet, it was the Griso. The yellow Buell Uly on the other hand looks like something my grandson would make out of Lego..
    I bought the Mana because a left shoulder operation I had last year is taking longer than expected to come good, and clutch operation is still painful.

I'll get on with checking those manifolds now.
    Al.

It seems arthritis or other issues with left hands is a major factor in buying a Mana. My arthritis is why I bought mine. However, I have also seen clutch conversion kits that are automatic so maybe our problems could be solved another way. Rekluse do one such kit, but I believe there are others as well.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum newb
    Well I've checked everything out I can think of, including replacing the plugs. Last ride of the winter today and all seemed good. Has anyone here fitted an O2 Lambda sensor eliminating kit? It seems strange that the previous owner had the Lambda sensor replaced at only 2000 miles, I thought they lasted for ten times that at least.
    Anyway, off to sunny New Zealand for 3 months now, goodbye winter and salty roads..
    Al.