Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Futura Windscreen Replacement

Futura Windscreen Replacement

Hi All! I just bought a Skidmarx Double Bubble all the way from Europe. Went to go put it on, and, like all things Futura, it was not as easy as I had hoped. Does anyone have experience with what I need to take apart in order to replace the screen? If I pull the two panels on the side of the instruments, will I be able to access the three bolts closer to the headlight, or will I need to pull the entire instrument panel? Tips/thoughts are welcome...I hope it is worth the effort - trying to reduce some noise at my helmet. Thanks!
    2001 Futura Stream Silver
    2002 Mille R Yellow Troy Corser (sold to a buddy to get Ninja below...)
    2006 Kawasaki 636 Ninja Track Bike

It's worth it to pull the instrument cluster. Once the left and right panels are off, you're most of the way there anyway. The panel under the tach that covers the fuse box shares bolts with the left and right side covers - then just remove the two bolts above the clocks and undo the two electrical connectors on the rear. It's really not that difficult. When undoing the windscreen bolts, you may want to put a piece of tape on the end of your wrench to try to capture the nut. If you do drop the nut or washer they should land on top of the headlight housing which is a nice broad flat surface. Maybe put a rag or something soft in there so the washer doesn't roll away.

Anybody replaced those nuts and rubber coated washers with wellnuts?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by jameyers22 View Post
    Hi All! I just bought a Skidmarx Double Bubble all the way from Europe. Went to go put it on, and, like all things Futura, it was not as easy as I had hoped. Does anyone have experience with what I need to take apart in order to replace the screen? If I pull the two panels on the side of the instruments, will I be able to access the three bolts closer to the headlight, or will I need to pull the entire instrument panel? Tips/thoughts are welcome...I hope it is worth the effort - trying to reduce some noise at my helmet. Thanks!
    You news to remove the dash 6 screws and remove the inner fairing 2 screws left and 2 at the right side.
    Then the 8screws that hold the screen.

The bottom 2 are the hardest to place back. Unless you have long tiny arms an fingers. I've used a wrench wit plastic in it to hold the bolt .

I don't have pictures to show the bolts. If it will help let me know then I'll make some.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One met Tapatalk

Thanks! If it's not too difficult, photos would be great, but I can probably figure it out if it's too much work for you. Thanks again!

Pay attention to placement of the nylon insulator washers, and be light on the torque. Too tight you'll crack your new screen, especially if those insulators are left out or misinstalled.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

Thanks - good advice - I am thinking about replacing the hardware once I get in there if it makes sense to do so.

Thanks - good advice - I am thinking about replacing the hardware once I get in there if it makes sense to do so.
    I wouldn't. It's pretty specialized. Just don't mix them up as a couple (top I believe) are a little different than the rest.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

Got it - typical Futura! Sheesh, I wonder how many different sized fasteners there are on that bike. Love to ride it, hate to wrench it!! Any knowledge on how to wire the headlight so the low-beam stays on when the high beams are running while I am in there?

I've probably mentioned it before but I have removed these fasteners for the screen due to them being a pain and not wanting them in my life at the mo!
    I now use some of those car trim panel clips, something like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Trim-C...car+trim+clips and the result is that I can now remove the screen in just over 1 minute and the same to put it back. This was due to me being in & out of being under the screen with the installation of several electrical accessories.
    No torque issues and they keep the screen as tight as if they were held by the original fasteners. The heads of the panel clips are painted to match the bike.
    Not everyones cup of tea but just putting it out there.
    Andy

Current: 2002 Futura RST in Silver
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Metal QD, H Pipe, Bef Cans, RSV De-restrictive Snorkel, RSV Forks & Brakes upgrade, NGK DCPR8EIX Iridiums, Earthed Throttlebodies, FPR Mod, Vee Max Starter Solenoid with uprated cables, FH008EE RR & Wiring Mods, NWS Hugger, Oxford OF691 Touring Hotgrips, Accessory & USB Sockets, HID Headlight, Pirelli Angel GT's

Up in Flames: 2001 Futura RST in Blue
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Skidmarx DB Screen & Hugger, K&N Filter, Brown Connectors soldered, R&G Hotgrips,
    Acumen DGV, Scottoiler, Accessory Socket. BikeVis Bullets

Got it - typical Futura! Sheesh, I wonder how many different sized fasteners there are on that bike. Love to ride it, hate to wrench it!!
    You should try working on a maxi-scooter like a Suzuki Burgman. The amount of tupperware that has to come off to do just about anything - and the myriad of different and hidden fasteners will have you loving time spent working on the Futura.

Any knowledge on how to wire the headlight so the low-beam stays on when the high beams are running while I am in there?
    click.

Replacement hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Corsehf View Post
    I've probably mentioned it before but I have removed these fasteners for the screen due to them being a pain and not wanting them in my life at the mo!
    I now use some of those car trim panel clips, something like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Trim-C...car+trim+clips and the result is that I can now remove the screen in just over 1 minute and the same to put it back. This was due to me being in & out of being under the screen with the installation of several electrical accessories.
    No torque issues and they keep the screen as tight as if they were held by the original fasteners. The heads of the panel clips are painted to match the bike.
    Hmm, kinda' cool! How do the fasteners work does the back-side need to be on the inside of the fairing? If so, how does it stay there when you remove the center expander? Did you glue them in place? If not, does the entire part stick on the outside of the shield? If it's not too much trouble, a photo would be awesome...thanks!

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsehf View Post
    Do you replace the fasteners with new every few uses or do they hold up well for a reasonable amount of service life?
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

Quote Originally Posted by thesprocket26 View Post
    Do you replace the fasteners with new every few uses or do they hold up well for a reasonable amount of service life?
    They are holding up really well. I have not changed any in two years however, I will say the more you remove them then the tattier they get. they cost me around £2:00 for twenty and you only need six at a time so it's not going to break the bank to change every time. If i'm honest, they work better than I thought they would and there is never a risk of over tightening and cracking the screen .
    I'll get some photo's.
    Last edited by Corsehf; 11-10-2017 at 05:27 AM.
    Andy

Datatagged, 05 Map, Metal QD, H Pipe, Bef Cans, RSV De-restrictive Snorkel, RSV Forks & Brakes upgrade, NGK DCPR8EIX Iridiums, Earthed Throttlebodies, FPR Mod, Vee Max Starter Solenoid with uprated cables, FH008EE RR & Wiring Mods, NWS Hugger, Oxford OF691 Touring Hotgrips, Accessory & USB Sockets, HID Headlight, Pirelli Angel GT's

Datatagged, 05 Map, Skidmarx DB Screen & Hugger, K&N Filter, Brown Connectors soldered, R&G Hotgrips,

Photo's!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front Screen Fasteners 1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	345905

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front Screen Fasteners 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	345906
    Andy

Hmm, kinda' cool! How do the fasteners work does the back-side need to be on the inside of the fairing? If so, how does it stay there when you remove the center expander? Did you glue them in place? If not, does the entire part stick on the outside of the shield? If it's not too much trouble, a photo would be awesome...thanks!
    When the button is pushed down, the post down the middle splays (expands) those 3 or 4 prongs. This occurs on the back side of the fairing. To remove, you just pop up the center button and that allows the prongs to come back to the diameter of the hole allowing the entire fastener to pull out.

If the surface is the correct thickness for the button used, these things really work well. But if it's too thin, they'll be a bit loose and if too thick, they won't grab well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast